We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

USA Route 66 - Single Male

Belfast, United...
2 posts
Save Topic
USA Route 66 - Single Male

I am wondering if someone can recommend an excellent travel operator that runs a Route 66 group package for a solo traveler to join?

I am a 29 year old irish male, enjoy a social drink in the evenings etc, good level of personal fitness so i would consider active activities. Looking to go for 2 weeks, any time between April and September 2013.

Budget would be £1500 - £2500 ex flights

San Diego
Destination Expert
for San Diego
Level Contributor
60,215 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: USA Route 66 - Single Male

Hi and welcome to the forums.

To my knowledge the only way to "do " route 66 is to rent a car and drive.

Have you been to the USA at all before this??

You may find other tour possibilities that include parts of that route.

IF you want specific info about visiting states/cities in the USA you'll have to post more specific questions on each of the separate forums for the areas that interest you.

Belfast, United...
2 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: USA Route 66 - Single Male

Thanks Riff M, ive done the West coast before started of in San Fran, drove through Yosemite and Death Valley to Las Vegas, then flew to L.A for a few days to finish.

Thats a bummer that there are no group operators that a solo traveler can join.

Milton Keynes...
Level Contributor
8 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: USA Route 66 - Single Male

Hi just thought I would mention a company that I have been looking at called Grand American Adventures, they seem to cater for singles as well as couples. I want to go and see North America and not sure how to do it as a single lady . I may try the trekking and camping, good luck

San Diego
Destination Expert
for San Diego
Level Contributor
60,215 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: USA Route 66 - Single Male

I didn't say that there were no tour groups for singles.

I just said that I am not aware of tours of route 66!

The road runs from the west coast to Chicago,Illinois so quite a looong trip.

OK well Google is your friend and this is what I found:

http://www.trekamerica.com/tours/am.html

Edited: 06 August 2012, 04:01
Las Vegas, Nevada
Level Contributor
1,352 posts
105 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: USA Route 66 - Single Male

Here's a suggested Route 66 tour itinerary from wikitravel: http://wikitravel.org/en/Route_66

It's not a bad place to start for a Route 66 driving tour. I don't know if you could do an organized tour, but why? You want to experience Route 66? It's a route that should be experienced by car. Many places there's nothing left but but interstate highways, but there are still places you can get off the interstate, find the roadside diners and owner-operated motels. If you're doing Route 66 via intercity bus, and stopping at mega-McDonald's for your meals and restroom breaks, you're not experiencing Route 66 even though you may be traversing the pavement.

Fly into Chicago and rent a car for a drop off in L.A. (although the historic Route 66 ends about an hour east of L.A. in San Bernardino). Two weeks on the road would be perfect.

Las Vegas, Nevada
Level Contributor
1,352 posts
105 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: USA Route 66 - Single Male

Of course, if you want to do a bus tour, there's this: http://reuthers.com/bus-tours-route66-12.html

Beckenham, United...
Level Contributor
491 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: USA Route 66 - Single Male

Hi!

I can highly recommend Trek America as a previous poster suggested. I went solo with them a few years ago on a west coast tour and it was fantastic, they tour in a small van and only have up to 12 people on each tour which made it easier to make friends. The only thing which some people don't like with them is that most of your accomodation is a tent! I love camping but know is not for everyone!

If camping isn't your thing have a look at contiki they are also aimed at your age but they travel in a big bus to a set itinerary where as the itineries with trek are a little flexible.

Hope this helps! Let me know if I can help further.

Nowy Sacz, Poland
Level Contributor
4,024 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: USA Route 66 - Single Male

grandamericanadventures.com/tours/route-66-h…

All a matter of googling the right thing - in this case route 66 group tours. Gave me, among others, this small groups tour. There are, if yu're interested, also companies doing guided group trips by Harley ...

Uden, The...
Destination Expert
for Road Trips
Level Contributor
60,942 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: USA Route 66 - Single Male

Avoid july and august for this trip September and may will be great

www.historic66.com

10. Re: USA Route 66 - Single Male

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 22 August 2013, 12:45