We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Australia Solo Travel

Houston, Texas...
2 posts
Save Topic
Australia Solo Travel

Hello. I'm a 24 year-old and I was thinking of doing an approximately 3-week solo trip to Australia after finishing school in December, before starting my career. Just looking for any tips on meeting people to explore with and any recommendations about things I should be sure not to miss during my trip. I was planning on staying primarily on the east coast, and while I'm not sure of my budget yet, I'm hoping to have $2,000-$3,000 US for housing accommodations, food/drink, tours, etc. Thanks!

England, United...
Destination Expert
for Somerset, Solo Travel, Exmoor National Park
Level Contributor
33,617 posts
109 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Australia Solo Travel

Australia is easy. It is geared up for touring. Work out what you would like to see by reading a few guide books from the library. I found Fodors best. Or ask for locations on the Aussie forum.

You need to know if internal flights on local carriers or buses/trains are the best option once you know your destinations & depending on where you decide to start from. East coast is a good choice, lots of variety. Getting to know people is easy over there as it's outdoor lifestyl, getting around a chich, buses or trains safe & plesant.

There are some ideas on this thread

tripadvisor.co.uk/ShowTopic-g1-i12357-k55924…

Hong Kong, China
Destination Expert
for Holiday Travel, Food and Travel, Macau
Level Contributor
28,513 posts
6,406 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Australia Solo Travel

Australia was made for the sort of travel as subeovington has suggested. I'd suggest spending some time on the Australia forums to better understand where you want to go, good places to stay (for meeting others). Generally speaking though, there are so many doing the backpacking/touring of Australia, especially the East Coast, that it would be very difficult for you not to meet people continuously while you were traveling around.

Have a great time in OZ.

Toronto, Canada
Destination Expert
for Algonquin Provincial Park
Level Contributor
1,679 posts
1,296 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Australia Solo Travel

Solo at your age group is ideal in Oz. There are a lot of people travelling like you, lots of hostels in the cities I went to (I would check staying in hostels and if you need to get a membership). Also lots of tours aimed to young crowd,certainly you would get lots of info from other travelers. Locals are very friendly.

Oz is expensive however but again you can find special deals at hostels, many places have deals for younger crowd, etc.

Toronto, Canada
Destination Expert
for Algonquin Provincial Park
Level Contributor
1,679 posts
1,296 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Australia Solo Travel

Here is a tour company I was looking at a tour for and was warned it is usually a young crowd who often like to party.

http://www.groovygrape.com.au/

Hong Kong, China
Destination Expert
for Holiday Travel, Food and Travel, Macau
Level Contributor
28,513 posts
6,406 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Australia Solo Travel

Also have a look at the Oz Experience Bus tour, traditionally a bit of a party atmosphere but its affordable travel and they put you in good accommodations, also offer some discounts on local tourism in the various places they travel to/from.

http://www.ozexperience.com/

Edmonton, Canada
Level Contributor
301 posts
197 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Australia Solo Travel

Australia is fantastic! I did my first solo trip there a few years ago. It's so easy to plan stuff for a solo traveller and it really is geared to younger people. I had a lot of fun meeting people along the way... You just need to decide where you want to go and how much time you want to spend there.

Williamstown...
Level Contributor
26 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Australia Solo Travel

I am from Australia and you are coming at a perfect time - our summer! as your still young, you should really look into a Contiki tour.. that will help with the cost and you will meet a bunch of new people whilst you are travelling.. depending which part you want to go to.. i assume the east coast of Sydney, Queensland and Melbourne.

Houston, Texas...
2 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Australia Solo Travel

Great, thank you all for the advice!

Bellevue, Washington
13 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Australia Solo Travel

Hey Erik,

It's Robyn here in Seattle. If you haven't done so already, you might want to give the Tourism Australia website a browse as it's a good starting point for planning a trip Down Under: http://www.australia.com/plan.aspx

I know you asked for things you "should be sure not to miss", but it's hard to know what to recommend without knowing what you're interested in. The page, however, should give you a good starting point!

Edited: 22 August 2012, 02:41
Emeryville...
Level Contributor
214 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Australia Solo Travel

I loved Australia solo - i have been twice, Sydney and then Melbourne. Both times i went in late aug/early september, it was less expensive as it is just moving into their spring.

I booked tours on each trip - one to do the Seven Sisters coastline in Melbourne and one to wineries in Melbourne - i was 'adopted' as the strange US cousin by a family. We had a great time. Do the Sydney Bridge Climb, i did not, which is something I regret and will need to return to do. I did go swimming with the sharks in the aquarium though, that made my day.

Their bus system is quite good and both cities are easy to walk. I did not go north (Cairns) though it may be on my agenda for a future trip.

They are a friendly bunch, they enjoy happy hour, food is great, wine is plentiful (get over the screw top, its no big deal) they dress well and i cannot get enough of the accent.

have fun.