We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Ideas for Solo Female over Xmas?

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
201 posts
30 reviews
Save Topic
Ideas for Solo Female over Xmas?

This is probably a shot in the dark,and I have been looking...but I am looking for a getaway for myself during the immediate days before/on Christmas. Im only looking to go for 3-4 nights,dont want to spend over $1000...hard,I know! Ive looked at Caribbean resorts,cruises,and even quick jaunts to Europe,but havent found anything great. Anyone have any suggestions where a single female could go and forget about the maudlin implications of the holidays?

Thanks

Stockholm, Sverige
Level Contributor
5 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Ideas for Solo Female over Xmas?

found this article a bit old maybe can help :)

telegraph.co.uk/travel/hubs/christmastravelg…

have you checked out this site ?

lastminute.com/site/…

male myself but places you maybe can appreciate is.

-Wien

-berlin

Not done my own town at christmas but you try it which is Stockholm.

visitsweden.com/sweden/…

For only 3-4days and not to pricy it can be a bit hard to find a place with warmer climate.

Essex
Level Contributor
25,882 posts
70 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Ideas for Solo Female over Xmas?

I have been looking at some of the Leger tours (for a different reason, want to take my Aged P away somewhere without too much hassle). I requested some brochures and notice they do trips away over Christmas 'twixmas' and the New Year. They also do 'singles specific' trips too. Some of them looked quite good IMO with plenty going on to fill your time and take your mind off 'things'.

Otherwise have a look at the solo traveller company websites like 'Solo's', 'Friendship Travel' "Mark Warner Singles" "Speed Breaks" and "Explore".

Also have you considered doing some charity work over the holidays?? Homeless Centre, Animal Centre or something like that??

Las Vegas, Nevada
Level Contributor
1,242 posts
104 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Ideas for Solo Female over Xmas?

Your budget is $1000 max. This would include, I presume, transportation, lodging, meals, and entertainment over 3 to 4 months. You want to escape Christmas during Christmastime.

California? L.A. or San Francisco. There's a certain season-less-ness to California, where it never seems to be any particular time of the year. Neither L.A. nor San Francisco does Christmas like an East Coast metropolis does Christmas. Nothing there, especially L.A., will have you hearing "Silver Bells" in your nightmares. With the price of the cross-country flight, you can probably find some last minute deals on lodging as long as you've cleared out well before New Year's.

I was also going to suggest Las Vegas, but this may not be the best getaway spot for a single female, although rooms will be cheap as long as you've cleared out before the New Year's crush hits town.

Minneapolis...
Level Contributor
161 posts
72 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Ideas for Solo Female over Xmas?

Try a country that doesn't have a Christian background. I assume that there will be little Christmas events going on. I agree that Christmas in California is a less of a deal then the Uk or the East Coast, but most things are still closed on Christmas and it is still decorated. So what about a couple of days in Turkey or Morocco? I was in London over Christmas a couple of years ago and I don't really celebrate Christmas so I took a tour and it wasn't bad, maybe choose a big tourist area and then book a tour.

Somerset
Destination Expert
for Somerset, Solo Travel, Exmoor National Park
Level Contributor
23,037 posts
104 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Ideas for Solo Female over Xmas?

Does the 3-4 nights cover travel to and from? And what sort of things do you like to do? Do you want it hot or cold?

Sadly every tourist destination in the world seems to celebrate Christmas to cater for the west.

Paphos, Cyprus
Destination Expert
for Paphos
Level Contributor
4,352 posts
80 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Ideas for Solo Female over Xmas?

@ poster number 3.......

Just for future reference, I'd be interested to hear your reasoning behind this comment -

"I was also going to suggest Las Vegas, but this may not be the best getaway spot for a single female"

I have been to LV but not since 1995 and not alone, but I don't recall thinking it wouldn't be suitable for a solo female trip.

Thanks

Trisha

Edited: 27 July 2012, 20:21
7. Re: Ideas for Solo Female over Xmas?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 19 August 2013, 14:47