We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Traveller's Wishlist

On the move
Level Contributor
137 posts
71 reviews
Save Topic
Traveller's Wishlist

On another forum, they were talking about a wish list for travellers. What would you include in this list?

I did actually give up my home quite a few years back and now live out of a suitcase, so here are a few items that I have found useful.

A low tech wooden doorstop (good for peace of mind)

a full head flat-pack fire mask

A hard drive that can plug into a TV via RCA ports, loaded up with 500GB of documentaries

plenty of headache tablets

A compass

A monocular

A tape measure and hanging type weight scale (saves me getting ripped off at markets)

A Bear Grylls type fire starter

Deodorant can be real difficult to find in many places

A selection of zip lock bags of different sizes always seem to come in useful

A top quality full size umbrella

A blindfold (for sleeping)

a small bag of decent quality elastic bands

A small book of photos of friends and family for easing into conversation with other travellers

A good quality passport cover

plenty of spare passport pics for visas

superglue

A few well chosen gifts for those who might help me out on the road

A shaving brush (very difficult to find away from big cities)

A couple of different sized spare sink plugs.

Any plastic card with a chip in so that I can leave my PC downloading when I am in a hotel room with a door card type lock.

These may not be essential for everybody and most are not particularly high tech but they sure have come in useful over the last ten years or so.

This is an interesting topic, so I will give a 'wishlist' a bit more thought over the next few days.

Chris

Houston, Texas
Destination Expert
for Solo Travel
Level Contributor
16,994 posts
192 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Traveller's Wishlist

I don't want to sound negative, but I'm having a tough time understanding why this belongs in the Solo Travel forum? If you had posted instead, for list of items that solo travelers need, that others may not, then this might turn into a nice topic. So, my suggestion is to repost.

London, England
Destination Expert
for Solo Travel
Level Contributor
9,872 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Traveller's Wishlist

Hi Marco,

Welcome to the solo travel forum.

Interesting post. I can see that some of the safety items might be particularly useful for a solo traveller....Are you travelling solo?

Please tell us more. Your previous posts look interesting.

Do you know about the Travel Gadgets and Gear Forum? YOu might find some interesting debates there.

tripadvisor.co.uk/ShowForum-g1-i12530-Travel…

Edited: 01 May 2012, 02:21
On the move
Level Contributor
137 posts
71 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Traveller's Wishlist

Thanks for the heads up on the other list.

As a solo traveller, I find that getting good tips for gear is essential, so i will go have a look over there and see what others are saying.

Thanks

Chris

London, United...
Level Contributor
1,232 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Traveller's Wishlist

Modern Day Marco Polo, I read your wish list, with some amusement and no disrespect intended but you are coming at this from an American perspective. Many Americans seem to believe that anything available overseas on foreign shores is vastly inferior to what you can find at home. This is not the case given that many of your products are already made in China.

I speak from the position of knowing many Americans and having been based in Bagdad in 2003 alongside many of your fellow countrymen not military but civilian. And may I quote one of your fellow countrymen who said: “Americans don’t travel well”

I think unless you are planning on hiking to remote regions some of your wish list is very unnecessary, especially for a modern traveller you can find easily pick up some of the items locally. As for the headache pills, certainly not required, resting in a quiet place for ten minutes works for me, my wife found a great solution in Thailand that she now swears by Pim Saen Balm Oil. However, that is in Asia in other places around the world you will also find other undiscovered treasures

ioffer.com/i/poy-sian-pim-saen-balm-oil-roll…

Some items on your list are fine - if you are planning on travelling using various hostels.

A hard drive that can plug into a TV via RCA ports, loaded up with 500GB of documentaries

I already use one of these except mine is one terabyte from Iomega, and I prefer using HDMI, that works nine times out of ten (I have only found one place where the HDMI port did not work) I load mine up with whole TV series and movies, so that I can watch two or three a day. Although depending on what format you save the movies HD quality uses more space.

amazon.co.uk/Iomega-Portable-Compact-Externa…

A compass & monocular – for hiking yes, but for most modern cities a map will do

A selection of zip lock bags of different sizes always seem to come in useful - for what exactly I carry two around.

A blindfold (for sleeping) – do you mean a eye mask?

A small book of photos of friends and family for easing into conversation with other travellers – (this is debatable) better to carry a pocket book to read when you find yourself waiting around, as you do.

NOT REQUIRED:

A low tech wooden doorstop (good for peace of mind) only good for hostels otherwise stay in different accommodation.

A tape measure and hanging type weight scale (saves me getting ripped off at markets) – better to learn to negotiate.

superglue

A top quality full size umbrella – no one travels with an unbrella

a small bag of decent quality elastic bands - for what?

A good quality passport cover – a document case would be more useful.

plenty of headache tablets – certainly not required

Deodorant can be real difficult to find in many places – says who?

A Bear Grylls type fire starter – only good if you are camping.

a full head flat-pack fire mask – are you a fire fighter?

plenty of spare passport pics for visas – visas for where?

What was interesting is that you obviously missed (in my books) two important items not on your list a good torch and decent multi tool.

Edited: 01 May 2012, 18:50
kent
Destination Expert
for Kent, Solo Travel
Level Contributor
12,499 posts
133 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Traveller's Wishlist

Ok... what are the elastic bands for?

My all destination travel essentials as a solo traveller, .....a pocket torch, mini first aid kit, and the ability to laugh at myself... especially when I get lost!

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for Yucatan Peninsula
Level Contributor
19,231 posts
71 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Traveller's Wishlist

"And may I quote one of your fellow countrymen who said: “Americans don’t travel well”"

and plenty of Americans believe in Santa Claus. Not sure what your point is. In fact, I wonder why you assume the OP is American.

"A top quality full size umbrella – no one travels with an unbrella"

really? not even on business trips?

IMO, a passport should not be in a case, it should be in a ziploc bag if you are going to humid locations and kept in an inaccessible pocket of your daypack or small carryon bag - or in a money belt in transit in dodgy places.

Multi-tools with knives are impossible to get through airport security unless one plans to check a bag, and IMO, real travelers rarely check bags unless sporting equipment is involved. I do agree about the small flashlight.

I have refined packing lists based on years of travel experience; styled for adventure/beach, city vacations and business trips. Using these lists, I have everything I need for a week or month-long trip.

OP - you can find a universal sink stopper - it's flat and goes on top of the drain, but I just shove a plastic bag in the drain when I need to do laundry in a hotel sink with no stopper.

I believe in Tylenol and always have little packets in my camera bag.

suitcaseready.com

Edited: 02 May 2012, 01:11
New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for Yucatan Peninsula
Level Contributor
19,231 posts
71 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Traveller's Wishlist

already edited, but should add - anyone traveling around SE Asia, for example, should have a lot of little passport pictures for visas. You need a couple for Laos, Cambodia. I think Burma too - all I remember about that border crossing was the guy refusing my first 2 $20s - they want really crisp ones with no markings since it's easier to counterfeit them.

Edited: 02 May 2012, 01:14
London, United...
Level Contributor
1,232 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Traveller's Wishlist

• "A top quality full size umbrella – no one travels with an umbrella"

really?

not even on business trips?”

I would love to be proved wrong here, but in the majority of my business trips in various business lounges around the world, I have yet to see business travellers totting around with an umbrella. The simple reason that these get lost far too easy. And this from an Englishman in the home of an umbrella carrying nation.

• “Multi-tools with knives are impossible to get through airport security unless one plans to check a bag, and IMO, real travelers rarely check bags unless sporting equipment is involved. I do agree about the small flashlight.”

I always check my luggage, so I am not sure what this makes me, not a real traveller here? But my humble Gerber Multi-tool has been at my side (overseas) faithfully since 2003 to north & South America, Africa, Middle East, East & south Asia and Europe through work. Prior to that I used to carry a Swiss Army knife. Yet last month on a P&O Cruise it was confiscated in my checked luggage due to the small blade on board a ship. I have just had to replace it from Amazon with the latest version and I trust I will get further good usage from this one, and if I ever do a cruise again I know how to remove the blade.

But I would never leave home without my multi took, to tighten up many shower heads, lock dodgy patio doors that could easily have been forced because they often don’t lock properly. I jam it in the back as last resort.

9. Re: Traveller's Wishlist

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 22 June 2013, 15:45