We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

nyc first weekend in august

2 posts
Save Topic
nyc first weekend in august

Hi everyone

so i am recently single and have decided that instead of honeymooning in NYC as planned or waiting for a friend to get together enough money to join me, im going to fly solo.

Im heading for a long weekend at the start of august and to be honest am just looking for some advice on great places to go or things to do. I would like to meet new people while im there, so could do with hints and tips on where to start.

thanks in advance everyone!

Houston, Texas
Destination Expert
for Solo Travel
Level Contributor
16,125 posts
192 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: nyc first weekend in august

The local New York City forum is a great place to start...plenty of posts and FAQ's compiled by their Destination Experts...

tripadvisor.com/ShowForum-g60763-i5-New_York…

London, England
Destination Expert
for Solo Travel
Level Contributor
9,228 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: nyc first weekend in august

New York the first week in August will be hot, sticky and fabulous. IME, it is a great place to travel solo.

Edited: 22 April 2012, 21:38
Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
45 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: nyc first weekend in august

You will have a fabulous time in NYC! I've been there many times solo and have loved it every single time.

As bk_t1 said, try the New York City forum, depending on your interests you will be able to find tips on things to do, where to go.

I have loved:

Walking the High Line http://www.thehighline.org/about/maps. Might be extremely hot in August for this though.

Chelsea Market

Seeing a broadway show (go to the NYC forum for tips on buying tickets)

Fort Tyron Park

Just wandering the city streets, soaking it all in...

Brooklyn

The subway will be very sticky and hot in August, so carry water with you.

Enjoy NYC! New Yorkers are amongst the friendliest people I have ever come across and will be happy to give you directions if you get yourself lost, as I have!

kent
Destination Expert
for Kent, Solo Travel
Level Contributor
11,567 posts
127 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: nyc first weekend in august

Kirsten... go for it! NYC will be very hot, so to cool off, suggest lunch at the Boathouse in Central Park and an air conditioned visit to MOMA.

Even in the UK we have heard about the new High Line, which is said to be fantastic, although may be better to visit early morning, or late afternoon.

I did a round the island trip, but can't remember from which pier exactly (west side I think). The trip was about 3 hours, very interesting and saw a completely different side of NY. Thankfully, it was quite windy and cooling.

A tip... I found the air conditioning too cold, so consider taking a layer with you.

Apart from the excellent TA destination forum for New York, suggest you get hold of a Time Out guide. There really is so much to see and do, you won't be bored.

And.. Grand Central Station has fantastic restaurants, especially if you like fish/shellfood.

Once you have done New York, then London should be your next stop!

2 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: nyc first weekend in august

Thanks for those tips, i will definately check out the NYC forum.

I know that Im gonna have a fab time, can't wait to be honest :-)

Do you think an NYC pass is worth it for a solo traveller? Being my first time I want to do as much as possible but at the same time I don't fancy tying myself to an itinerary to get my moneys worth!

Still havent decided on a hotel yet, am reading reviews just now to see what the story is!

Thanks for your help!

Hong Kong, China
Destination Expert
for Hong Kong, Macau, Holiday Travel, Food and Travel
Level Contributor
26,550 posts
5,121 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: nyc first weekend in august

The NYC forum is the benchmark by which all others should be measured. There you will find the most comprehensive FAQ section on TA, from what I've seen and I've check out quite a lot.

Do be careful, the regulars there are ruthless if you don't do some research before posting on this forum. Make sure to avail of the past discussions in the FAQ and Search Box area first. So much great information there to support your NYC trip. Luv NYC, have a great time there.

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for Yucatan Peninsula
Level Contributor
19,185 posts
71 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: nyc first weekend in august

LOL - yes, we can be ruthless! Mainly to the people who come on the forum and state that they know we have this quiant tipping practise, but since they dont do it at home, they dont plan to do it in NYC. Or those who insist on renting illegal apartments, because they do it in Paris (I do too!). Otherwise, we can be a friendly bunch!

ignore the obvious crochety old men like Bilmin who respond to every post but rarely provide any info - and take the GWB posts for what they are worth (he is NYPD and full of information but can be tough if a question isnt framed in the way he likes)

suitcaseready.com

8. Re: nyc first weekend in august

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 19 June 2013, 03:11