We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Top destinations for solo female travel

San Diego...
2 posts
1 review
Top destinations for solo female travel

Hi there,

I would like to pamper myself this summer (July) by taking a solo trip outside the US. I'm looking to get tips on what are the best places to go as a female and first timer; my budget is also limited. I'm interested in the Caribbean and Central America (Belize, Costa Rica)

Thanks!

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for Yucatan Peninsula
Level Contributor
19,363 posts
73 reviews
1. Re: Top destinations for solo female travel

Belize, Panama, the Yucatan peninsula of Mexico are all great budget destinations.

Belize is probably the best first foray because they speak English, use the US dollar (there is a Belize dollar but it's fixed to the US dollar 2 to 1 and theyre used interchangeably) and there is a great tourism infrastructure to get around. And, it's very safe (the incidents and issues are in places few first time tourists would venture).

A good option might be a few days at Ambergris Caye (or Hopkins - in town at a place like All Seasons or one of the more upscale hotels on the outskirts) to relax at the beach, snorkel or dive - then go inland to a place like Mopan River Resort where all the activities are planned and included - but it's a small place so you dont feel like you're being herded around in a large group.

suitcaseready.com

San Diego...
2 posts
1 review
2. Re: Top destinations for solo female travel

Belize was actually on the top of my list, lol... Thank you for your advice! I will def look into the Ambergris Caye.

Chicago
Level Contributor
43 posts
15 reviews
3. Re: Top destinations for solo female travel

I will be traveling solo to Belize in just a few weeks. I have planned my trip for 8 nights/9 days. The first 4 nights will be spent in San Ignacio at an eco-lodge. The days I am there I will be horseback riding, ATM cave, and Zip-lining.

The last part of my trip will be spent on Ambergris Caye, nothing planned yet, but looking forward to that!

If you would like, I can send you a trip report when my vacation is completed. Also, if you have any questions, I would be more than happy to answer. Tripadvisor has been a huge help in planning this trip. Good luck with your adventure!

Burr Ridge, Illinois
Level Contributor
4,306 posts
103 reviews
4. Re: Top destinations for solo female travel

Belize and Costa Rica have a tendency to be more pricy as do locations such as Grand Cayman and Bermuda. I will add that I think there is a tendency for these destinations to be good, safe female destinations. Heck, male as well :)

You can find travel more economical in countries like Guatemala, Panama, and some other places. But, it may take a slightly more adventurous type for these destinations.

Consider a cruise where you can explore during the day and have the comfort of a ship with other like minded souls.

Consider home stays or hostels as many women say they love the companionship and connections from such a place.

Good luck with your search!

Houston, Texas
Destination Expert
for Solo Travel
Level Contributor
18,286 posts
189 reviews
5. Re: Top destinations for solo female travel

One thing I noted in your post is that you really don't share what your interests are and what you like to do? That would be helpful,since some Caribbean locations do a good job of catering to interests. I found Costa Rica to be great for an adventurous person - rainforest, ziplining, volcanos, but also with access to beach/relaxation. I hear that Belize is awesome for scuba, for example. Other islands and locations do a great job with spas and beach folks. Different places fit different needs.

6. Re: Top destinations for solo female travel

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 04 March 2013, 15:52