We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Good Warm Weather Resort for a Single Guy?

South Bend, Indiana
Level Contributor
7 posts
57 reviews
Good Warm Weather Resort for a Single Guy?

I am single and 40. I am looking for a place in Florida or the Caribbean. Preferably a resort where I can sit on a beach and read a good book. Possibly scuba dive. Not interested in ClubMed or that kind of resort. A 4-5 star place either on the the Gulf Coast, the Keys, or a reasonably priced island. Not interested in Mexico until it is safer for travel. Suggestions greatly appreciated.

Houston, Texas
Destination Expert
for Solo Travel
Level Contributor
18,275 posts
189 reviews
1. Re: Good Warm Weather Resort for a Single Guy?

I just returned from Cancun - a once a year solo visit for R&R. I have never had a concern about safety.

You share some ideas, but you really don't share when you want to go, for how long, and what your budget (including airfare) is. That would be helpful.

For scuba, you can't go wrong with Belize, Aruba, or St. John (USVI).

Hong Kong, China
Destination Expert
for Holiday Travel, Food and Travel, Macau, Hong Kong
Level Contributor
28,833 posts
6,581 reviews
2. Re: Good Warm Weather Resort for a Single Guy?

I might suggest having a look at the various Florida and Caribbean Travel Forums here in Trip Advisor as well. Lots of destinations with lots of posted information, feedback and suggestions. Might help spur some ideas for your intended solo trip.

South Bend, Indiana
Level Contributor
7 posts
57 reviews
3. Re: Good Warm Weather Resort for a Single Guy?

Where is a good place to stay in Cancun? Timeframe 7-10 days. Budget not an issue but always want to get the most bang for a buck. Really looking for a place on the beach with a bar and nightlife where I can read, smoke cigars, and go year after year. Still vague but looking for resort ideas or an "off the radar" place.

Houston, Texas
Destination Expert
for Solo Travel
Level Contributor
18,275 posts
189 reviews
4. Re: Good Warm Weather Resort for a Single Guy?

There are several spots I would turn you onto in Cancun, but to find a place with nightlife at the resort cuts it down. There is tons of nightlife in Cancun should you venture off-resort; that's why I like it. I pick a less lively resort and then choose what I want to do. My favorite is the Casa Magna Marriott (non-AI), but you will find families there - they do have a sports bar, lobby bar, pool swim up bar, and beach bar. I've stayed at a more lively AI, Riu Cancun, which has entertainment on-site and is closer to the action in the hotel zone. I just got back from the Golden Parnassus Resort, which is AI and adults only. I've also heard Barcelo Tucancun is fun. If Cancun interests you, you should pay a visit to their board:

tripadvisor.com/ShowForum-g150807-i8-Cancun_…

There is also an area south of Cancun, called Riviera Maya, that might interest you (ie. Playa del Carmen, etc)

tripadvisor.com/ShowForum-g659488-i11442-Riv…

Ottawa, Canada
Level Contributor
12,258 posts
155 reviews
5. Re: Good Warm Weather Resort for a Single Guy?

Look at Belize particularly if you are serious about diving.

6. Re: Good Warm Weather Resort for a Single Guy?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 07 February 2013, 15:51