We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

On my own in New Zealand

Ipswich, United...
Level Contributor
8 posts
4 reviews
Save Topic
On my own in New Zealand

I currently have flights booked to New Zealand, flying in to Queenstown on Saturday 19th November I was going to spend time with a friend, who now can't get the time off work.

I'm a little wary of travelling on my own as this is not the holiday I had planned, whilst I'm happy with my own company 2 weeks does feel a bit daunting. I don't want to cancel my flights as I've been looking forward to it for ages.

Some friends have suggested doing a tour with other travellers, I'm 32 and that would be OK, although I don't wanna be stuck on a bus with a load of 18 year olds getting p***ed every night.

Can anyone offer some good advice, or been in a similar position?

Houston, Texas
Destination Expert
for Solo Travel
Level Contributor
18,207 posts
189 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: On my own in New Zealand

When I'm faced with a trip or decision like yours, it comes down to research. How much time do you want to spend planning out your trip; identifying where you want to go and what you want to do? I suspect you could do GREAT on your own, doing some research in guide books (like Lonely Planet or Frommer's, etc.) also checking out the New Zealand forum board here on TripAdvisor - some great Destination Experts over there. You don't want to plan it down to the hour, but in general where you want to go each day.

Then, there are tour groups. IF you go this route, you still need to do your research and I encourage you to search on the New Zealand board for companies to check out. Research the companies, the costs, the feedback of the tours, the types of people they attract, etc.

I'm more of a self-planner and self-doer, but there are several people who like that second option. But, again, it takes time and effort for both.

Good Luck.

England, United...
Destination Expert
for Somerset, Solo Travel, Exmoor National Park
Level Contributor
34,108 posts
111 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: On my own in New Zealand

I did 6 weeks in Australia on my own. I got chatting with people on buses, in markets & cafes. It really is surprisingly easy once you are on your way.

Also found that they have information centres much like here (but dare I say with better service) and I picked up lots of day trips, minibus & 4 wheel drive like a day in the rainforest, swimming in waterfalls & BBQ. They had money off vouchers too.

Took the local bus or train service, picked up a freebee tourist paper with maps and sights in and set off.

The bonus is that you get to see all the things you want to see and for as long as you want to see them. And if you want to change your mind you can.

Don't have to worry if anyone else is enjoying themselves.

Edited: 31 October 2011, 05:51
Hong Kong, China
Destination Expert
for Holiday Travel, Food and Travel, Macau
Level Contributor
28,571 posts
6,438 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: On my own in New Zealand

Mate,

You are going to perhaps the most spectacular piece of land on earth. There is nothing like South Island. Its time for you to start 'getting excited' about the amazing scenery around Tekapo, Mt. Cook, Arthur's Pass, Wanaka, Queenstown and Milford Sound. I wish you the highest forms of encouragement against your hesitations of making this trip on your own. Its an amazing place and would be best viewed on your schedule and location decisions, instead of that of a tour group.

However, If you feel better traveling with others, you can always consideration something like the Kiwi Experience, tour bus that takes people around both North and South Island, this would take away most of the travel flexibility but would at least mean you've some company. Give them a look and see if this is something that might be better for you.

http://www.kiwiexperience.com/

Have a great time in NZ, one of my two favorite countries in the world.

4. Re: On my own in New Zealand

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 01 November 2012, 10:46