We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

right thats it, I'm going travelling...where do I start?

Bude, United Kingdom
2 posts
right thats it, I'm going travelling...where do I start?

hi guys, I've just decided I'm gonna go travelling but I have no idea about it and how to go about it.

I'm not sure between going australia, new zealand and america. Ideally the cheapest is easiest for me and I hear oz is awesome but expensive. new zealand is more extreme sports and america is a good alrounder.

I'm tempted for america as theres a gym (gym jones) I'd like to visit in salt lake city. but after brief research the rest of utah seams quite boring.

I'm looking for a good party atmosphere (im 22) can anyone recommend any good tours, companys ect.

and how much cash should I take for around 2-3 months of travel?

thanks for your time guys!

gazz

London, United...
Destination Expert
for Solo Travel
Level Contributor
11,115 posts
28 reviews
1. Re: right thats it, I'm going travelling...where do I start?

Salt Lake City is a failrly attractive city and Utah has some of the most spectacular scenery of anywhere in the United States (Zion National Park, Bryce National Park) . Utah is handy for Wyoming (the Grand Teatons are very beautiful mountains) and the Grand Canyon in Arizona is like nothing else on earth. New Mexico is also fantastic.

The scenery in the American West is like nothing in England and only a little like Spain.

If you like doing outdoor athletic activities, you will love it.

The parties in Utah tend to be dry, but people are very friendly. Despite the fact that good Mormans don't imbibe caffine either, there are some good coffee bars in SLC.

If you don't care about hiking or rafting, then you might be happier in places like Florida or Southern California.

There are tour companies for people in their teens and 20s which, by reports on here, seem to spend as much time partying as sight seeing. If that is what you want, then a tour might suit you best.

There are trains that run from the east to the west coast as well as up and down the east and the west coast, but most of the States is geared for drivers and renting a car will cost you extra because you are under 25 years of age.

As for the amount of money required, have a look at a Lonely Planet Guide or Rough Guide for the States. There will be discussions of travel styles and costs.

Given the amount of time you have, you might consider alternating tours with solo travel.

England, United...
Destination Expert
for Somerset, Solo Travel, Exmoor National Park
Level Contributor
35,079 posts
111 reviews
2. Re: right thats it, I'm going travelling...where do I start?

Pick your country, pick your area, which towns sights you want to see and make a route. Then post on each relevant forum for info on nightlife, places to stay etc. Backpacking and hostels can give you the company and social side too and there are some really good ones.

I think as Legal says, part your own things, part tours. If you start with a short tour it can get you into the swing of the country ready to go it alone.

Bude, United Kingdom
2 posts
3. Re: right thats it, I'm going travelling...where do I start?

thanks guys, its definately solved it for me. knowing theres something outside my training to do in utah. but I'll definately plan a route and sites.

so far its salt lake city - las vagas - santa monic...proberly could fit another place in and have a real good look for a month. thanks guys.

Hong Kong, China
Destination Expert
for Holiday Travel, Food and Travel, Macau, Hong Kong
Level Contributor
29,046 posts
6,616 reviews
4. Re: right thats it, I'm going travelling...where do I start?

A couple good tours for younger travelers in OZ and NZ

http://www.ozexperience.com/

http://www.kiwiexperience.com/

These are quite 'party-oriented' but there are many more little outfits like this that you can consider joining.

Or just travel solo and join up with people you meet at the hostels and go where they are going, the travel trails are mostly similar, most are going only a few directions, you can just join up!

5. Re: right thats it, I'm going travelling...where do I start?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 05 October 2012, 19:47