We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Travelling alone, need some help

London, United...
2 posts
Travelling alone, need some help

Hello. I'm traveling to Geneva, Paris, Rome, Venice, Ibiza and Amsterdam starting tomorrow. I'll be stay 2 nights at Geneva and Paris and only a night each at the rest of the destinations. I'm a student and on a very limited budget so won't be using a lot of paid tours or stuff like that. I have a few questions if you could answer them please.

1. What are the sites to see in Geneva and what mode of travel is preferred within Geneva? Is it possible to see sites on foot.

2. sites in Paris? And cheapest mode of travel? Something like a travel pass or something like as in London.

3. Same goes for Rome and what's the best way to travel to Venice from Rome?

4. Ibiza? All I known of is the boro boro bar :)

5. And lastly, the above questions for Amsterdam too.

Many thanks.

Level Contributor
953 posts
85 reviews
1. Re: Travelling alone, need some help

Hi Ayazoo!

1) Geneva is a compact city, easy to visit on foot. Everything aroung the lake is nice + the old town .

2) Sites in Paris: many. It's a big city, I'm not aware about a travel pass.

3) Rome to Venice. I think it's easy by train. Check: http://www.trenitalia.com/

4) Ibiza. Dalt Vila (old town in Ibiza Town). Ibiza Town is the best city on the island. The bars in Sant Antonio are great, Café del Mar, Café Mambo (30 mn from Ibiza town). Best beaches: Ses Salines.

And of corse all the nightclubs: Pacha,...

5) Amsterdam. I think you might go to the Amsterdam forum for the best sites (same for Paris and Rome).

London, United...
2 posts
2. Re: Travelling alone, need some help

Thank you for your prompt response. I'll have a look into it. Thanks once again :)

Hong Kong, China
Destination Expert
for Holiday Travel, Food and Travel, Macau, Hong Kong
Level Contributor
28,887 posts
6,584 reviews
3. Re: Travelling alone, need some help

You can use

www.hostels.com

www.hostelworld.com

www.hostelbookers.com

to short-list some cheaper hostels, cross reference them against Trip Advisor.

This can help you plan for a some decent budget accommodations. Have a great time planning your solo-travel trip.

London, United...
Destination Expert
for Solo Travel
Level Contributor
11,064 posts
28 reviews
4. Re: Travelling alone, need some help

Does you plan to spend 1 night in each place (except for 2 nights in Paris and Geneva) factor in your travel time?

Otherwise you are unlikely to see many sights. You will also spend a disproportionate amount on getting to places.

As you live in London, it might be worth your while to stop by Stanfords travel book store in Covent Garden. It has three floors of travel books and maps. They are very generous about letting people browse, although taking notes is a bit rude.

It is hard for people to advise you about what to see when they don't know what you are interested in. One person's life changing sight is another's complete bore.

Level Contributor
953 posts
85 reviews
5. Re: Travelling alone, need some help

Ayazoo I think it's better to reduce the number of cities you visit and to stay at least 2 days in each city (one day is convenient for really small cities). In one day you can't see anything, except some major sites or monuments.

Leagle, Stanford's is a fantastic travel bookstore, when I'm in London I always go to Stanford's !

6. Re: Travelling alone, need some help

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 05 October 2012, 19:47