We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Travelling alone to zurich

Mumbai, India
1 post
1 review
Save Topic
Travelling alone to zurich

I am planning a 4 day stop over in Zurich to do the sights, Jungfrau, Pilatus, Heidiland etc. As I am travelling alone, would love to hear from any ladies who have traveled alone about ways to feel more comfortable and secure. I do plan on staying at at least a 3 star well recommended hotel , possibly close to the Bahnhof, and do the Viator tours.

Thoughts on hotels/restaurants/Viator as a tour operator etc would be appreciated.

pb/india

india
Level Contributor
3 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Travelling alone to zurich

hi! I travelled alone from India to Zurich last year. Stayed at Movenpick hotel. nice comfy place. Free airport pick up , train station just across and book your tour in advance.Viator is good. .You can find some tour operators in hotel too.So go ahead and ENJOY

Seattle
Level Contributor
50,703 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Travelling alone to zurich

I've not been to Zurich, but I've been to Geneva/Lac Leman area of Switzerland quite a few times (I go to visit a friend who lives there). Switzerland is about the most organized, easiest place to travel of anyplace I've ever been. Just make sure you have all your paperwork and finances in order and carried in a safe & secure manner. Enjoy! Switzerland is an amazing country. -suze

Ann Arbor, Michigan
Level Contributor
74 posts
72 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Travelling alone to zurich

I traveled to Switerland in June '09. However, I would be lying if I said I traveled there by myself... I took my Dad on his first trip to Europe. You'll find that the Swiss people mind their own business and go about their lives "themselves". But don't let that be a turnoff because if you approach them for directions, they are most friendly and helpful.

The only time I was touring alone on this trip was shopping and walking around Geneva during the day. I felt comfortable and safe.

I would say that you should be just fine traveling alone to and in-and-around Switzerland.

P.S. Have a blast at Jungfraujoch! Be sure to check the local channels for their webcam to plan your adventure up the mountain. If you're looking for a place to stay, I'd recommend Hotel Rugenpark... as you'll find most other TripAdvisors will, too. ;-)

Edited: 06 August 2010, 00:35
Los Angeles...
Level Contributor
53 posts
52 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Travelling alone to zurich

I can't answer some of your specific questions, but I have travelled to Zurich in the last couple of years by myself, and I have to say, don't worry about safety, and if you speak English well, you will be as fine as can be, as everyone who lives there does too apparently. I was almost disappointed because I didn't feel like I was in a foreign country because each time I struggled with some German, the person answered back in near perfect English. The people were more than helpful and approachable whenever I had questions, and I ended up taking a walk at 4 in the morning because I couldn't sleep, and I didn't think twice about it because it was such a clean city with such nice people. We did travel to the countryside and then to the mountains for a couple days, and those people too spoke English.

Edited: 11 August 2010, 11:18
Kyiv
Destination Expert
for Kiev, Kharkiv, Donetsk, Ukraine, Lutsk, Chernivtsi
Level Contributor
22,476 posts
342 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Travelling alone to zurich

Hi pb! :)

Sorry, haven’t visited this forum for a while, so missed your post earlier. Hope I’m not too late to add my reassuring voice :)

I’m a regular traveller to Switzerland, mostly Zurich and Geneva. Often travel there alone, and combine business and pleasure. And I can only echo what the others have said. Even wandering about the city on my own well after midnight, not for a second I ever felt uncomfortable or insecure. Certainly not in Zurich, which I love!

Sorry, can’t be of a great help about 3-star hotels; my top choice in Zurich is The Widder. And I never used any travel agents to get there or around as I find Switzerland extremely friendly to an independent traveller!

You might want to consider posting the same on Zurich forum, or search through it tripadvisor.com/ShowForum-g188111-i4527-Zuri… as well as the Zurich hotels tripadvisor.com/Hotels-g188113-Zurich-Hotels… (narrow the search to 3-star on the filter panel to the left). Hope you can get more replies to your specific questions there.

Have a wonderful trip! :)

Edited: 11 August 2010, 16:41
6. Re: Travelling alone to zurich

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 08 February 2011, 10:48