We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Solo + 1, beach vacation

dc
Level Contributor
19 posts
Save Topic
Solo + 1, beach vacation

Two women friends, looking for a relaxing vacation. Somewhere atypical. Somewhere interesting with more to do than just lay on the beach. Beach, spa, culture, history, safety, and potentially other single males would be ideal. Just looking to avoid screaming kids and gushy honeymooners. Any ideas?

London, England
Destination Expert
for Solo Travel
Level Contributor
10,728 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Solo + 1, beach vacation

You might want to have a look at earlier posts here asking similar questions about beach holidays.

It would help also if you could give us an idea about budget, your ages, time of travel and length of you holiday.

I love Belize for its variety. Ambergris Caye has, in San Pedro, a lively night life and I have never found the Xanadu Resort (about a 20 minute walk along the beach to town) overun with children, but I suppose it depends partly on the time of year you travel. I find prices are lower and children fewer during the school term.

Others here love and are are very knowlegeable about Mexico.

Edited: 06 July 2010, 11:41
dc
Level Contributor
19 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Solo + 1, beach vacation

Thanks. Belize is definitely on the list. You recommend it then?

We are in our mid 30s, looking to go in mid/late Sept for about 5-6 nights. I was hoping to avoid Mexico as I've been there too many times in recent years. Budget, depending on how exotic, is between $800-1300 for flight/hotel. Nightlife is icing but not a requirement. A drink at a local pub or restaurant would be perfect. All inclusive is not a preference but I wouldn't rule it out . I would love to find a place with a spa on site.

Does that help?

London, England
Destination Expert
for Solo Travel
Level Contributor
10,728 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Solo + 1, beach vacation

With the caveat that September is still hurricane season in the Carribean, I would certainly recommend Belize.

Belize has a lively economy that is not solely tourist dependent and, with fantastic Mayan ruins and glorious rain forests, has more to do that just lie on a beach.

I see from an earlier post that you do not like prop planes, so you would need to take the ferry from Belize City to Ambergris Caye. Your hotel (or a lonely planet guide book) could give you directions on how to do that.

Belize City is the one place in Belize that is considered a bit dodgy, but I don't believe that getting from the International Airport to the ferry is a problem.

September is still low season for most hotels (see comment about the hurricane season) .

I like to stay at the Xanadu Resort (which has apartments with kitchens of varying sizes, a beautifully landscapped pool, a small wildlife reserve with a tree level platform, supermarkets very near by but no restaurant) but my daughter recommends Mata Rocks and evening likes Banana Beach.

I think at least one of the last two may have a spa, but any of them can arrange a proper massage in your room.

All have acess to good restaurants and all can arange day trips. The Belize Zoo is surprisingly interesting (with local animals) the zip line with 9 platforms through the trees is fun, I haven't done the cave tubing yet but I certainly enjoyed the trips to various Mayan temples and a walk through the rain forest, the parasailing and various snorkelling trips. Day trips can also be a good way to meet other travellers.

I wouldn't stay much further from San Pedro than Mata Rocks (about a 20-30 minute walk along the beach), myself, and although Victoria House comes highly praised on TripAdvisor, when I went there for lunch one day, I thought it was too far away and best for those who just need to spag out on a sunlounger by a pool for their holiday.

You should know that most ocean swimming on Ambergris Caye is off piers rather than straight off the beach, but the beaches are lovely for sunning and walking.

Other parts of Belize (Placencia, Hopkins, for example) are also great fun, but can take longer to get to if you don't want to fly in small planes.

Belize is a large country without a lot of roads and the little planes are the main distance transport.

Edited: 07 July 2010, 13:38
Kyiv
Destination Expert
for Kiev, Kharkiv, Donetsk, Ukraine, Lutsk, Chernivtsi
Level Contributor
22,211 posts
343 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Solo + 1, beach vacation

Hi pursuitoflife,

Your description of requirements made me think of Bali in Indonesia. Except that I'm not sure what "Somewhere atypical" means. What's typical then? :)

This lovely island has everything you have described to offer. Take a look at Bali forum tripadvisor.com/ShowForum-g294226-i7220-Bali… Loads of information there for you to make up your mind if you are interested in it.

dc
Level Contributor
19 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Solo + 1, beach vacation

Bali is perfect. Bali is where I would ideally like to go. But i think we need more than a few days to do the exotic vacation that was really appealing to us....

(Typical means Bahamas, Barbados, St. Something or Others) But in a twist on the typical, we were thinking about Vieques... There's a new W retreat and spa there. Thoughts? :)

Kyiv
Destination Expert
for Kiev, Kharkiv, Donetsk, Ukraine, Lutsk, Chernivtsi
Level Contributor
22,211 posts
343 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Solo + 1, beach vacation

Sorry, never been to Puerto Rico, so can’t be of any help here.

You are be probably right that a week in Bali (you seemed to have mentioned 6 nights for your trip) might be too short, plus involving the longhaul flight. On my very first trip there I spent just a few days on the island relaxing after a business trip in Asia. My second one lasted about ten days. And I ended up with spending almost a month there - kind of addictive! :)

7. Re: Solo + 1, beach vacation

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 08 January 2011, 10:47