We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Good destinations for a solo traveller - mid 20s?

Liverpool
Level Contributor
6 posts
7 reviews
Save Topic
Good destinations for a solo traveller - mid 20s?

Hi,

I've reached the stage in life where a few of my friends now have kids/families and the ones who don't can;t go on holiday at the same time as me, due to my job being a lot different from theirs. It's a drag that I might have to waste my holidays from work just sitting around my own city wasting time. I'd like to go somewhere on my own if nobody is available to come with me at the time, but don't know where would be a good idea.

I'm a 27 year old lad and am quite young at heart, but am quite mature and like cultural attractions as well as sun and the freedom to explore new places. Any tips/advice?

Kurashiki, Japan
Destination Expert
for Kurashiki, Cambodia, Myanmar
Level Contributor
16,135 posts
91 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Good destinations for a solo traveller - mid 20s?

You didn't mention your budget. If you have heaps of money, then a place like Greece would be a great option (if the present mess ever blows over, that is), and Mexico is always nice, and more economical.

As others on these forums know, I am always pushing for people to see Southeast Asia- thousands of years of history, mild climate, fabulous food, adventure options, very safe and very very economical (you can survive on as little as $20 a day!). If the prospect of visiting countries like Laos, Cambodia, Thailand or Vietnam interests you, let me know and I'll list some online sites from which you can gather information on those destinations.

Edited: 22 May 2010, 03:42
kent
Destination Expert
for Kent, Solo Travel
Level Contributor
14,554 posts
141 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Good destinations for a solo traveller - mid 20s?

If you have never been abroad on your own before, it can be quite daunting. Why not try some short trips, like Dublin or Barcelona. You can easily book this yourself, with TA help of course, but once you get more confident, well, the world is your oyster.

Hostels and small guest houses are probably friendlier than big brand name hotels, and have the advantage of marketing themselves at independant and often single travellers, so you could meet all sorts of people from all over the world.

Liverpool
Level Contributor
6 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Good destinations for a solo traveller - mid 20s?

Hi - thanks for the replies. Budget-wise, I'm not looking at staying in luxury, but would like as much security/peace of mind as is possible. Hostels are more than OK, but if it was possible at all I'd prefer places with single rooms, for my first solo trip. I'm willing to try shared dorms, but am not sure how secure my stuff would be? Sounds amateurish I suppose, it's just that I have always travelled with friends in the past, so don't know how it works alone.

My first trip can only be 10-11 days, so I don't suppose I can get very far in that time. I have a larger break of 3 weeks coming up in late August/early September, which would be a better opportunity to "travel" rather than just have a break somewhere. I'm interested going to Honolulu, would also definitely consider SE Asia - anywhere I can enjoy the experience alone. I'm sure I'd meet people wherever I go, but in case that doesn't happen, I'd be looking at destinations wit ha lot to do/explore alone.

Thanks for all of your help and for replying

Edited: 24 May 2010, 20:10
Liverpool
Level Contributor
6 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Good destinations for a solo traveller - mid 20s?

Should say "can NOT get very far in this time"...

Also, budget could be £1500, thanks a lot

Edited: 24 May 2010, 20:16
Kurashiki, Japan
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
16,135 posts
91 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Good destinations for a solo traveller - mid 20s?

What is it, at least 12 hours on a plane from the UK to Southeast Asia? For 10 days that'd hardly be worth it, I'd suggest you stay someplace in Europe...Lots of lovely destinations, I'd side with poster #2's opinion given your timeframe...

Edited: 25 May 2010, 03:04
Liverpool
Level Contributor
6 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Good destinations for a solo traveller - mid 20s?

It would make more sense to stay closer to home for just 10/12 days, you're right. I just want a "travellers" destination if you know what I mean, as opposed to a city sort of holiday. Cities tend to be lonely places where it can be hard to meet people. I want a sort of "explorers" destination where a lot of other people will be solo travelling who I can get to know. Maybe my 3 week August/September break might be better for that sort of thing.

Kurashiki, Japan
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
16,135 posts
91 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Good destinations for a solo traveller - mid 20s?

September in Southeast Asia is fabulous- it's officially rainy season in many parts, so everything's green and lush (rain is never constant, so it's a perfect time to visit) and there are far fewer tourists...

London, England
Destination Expert
for Solo Travel
Level Contributor
10,892 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Good destinations for a solo traveller - mid 20s?

For your first trip, you might consider looking north.

Sweden is fabulous in the summer and many, many people there (especially the ones your age) speak English.

Stockholm is too good to miss, but university towns are less expensive and friendlier.

Sweden is particularly good for outdoor activities, but there are interesting cultural sights as well.

Try asking on the TA Swedish Forum and see what comes up. tripadvisor.co.uk/ShowForum-g189806-i232-Swe…

The forum looks reasonably lively and you might find some interesting responses to your question.

Southampton
Level Contributor
4,876 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Good destinations for a solo traveller - mid 20s?

If you go anywhere in Europe (Spain, Germany, France, Denmark, Sweden, Holland) and walk into a bar where the world cup is being shown, you will have some instant friends to talk football with (clearly it helps if you actually like football though!).

San Francisco...
Level Contributor
19 posts
45 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Good destinations for a solo traveller - mid 20s?

I prefer Philippines over Thailand for budget. Ignoring experiences eg. Cambodia and Vietnam. Country safety in parts in Philippines is a bit dicy. Cebu is ok. Prices I found in Philippines aruond 1/4 that of Thailand in Bangkok and parts and the people a LOT LOT more friendly to deal with and language is only English speaking country in Asia.