We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Single Supplement versus Roommate Sharing

j06
boston
Level Contributor
5 posts
19 reviews
Save Topic
Single Supplement versus Roommate Sharing

I usually travel solo and pay single supplements to have my own room. Supplement is getting costlier. I am hesitant to room share and would like some input on this.

Have you ever shared a room with an unknown roomate? How did it work out?

Thanks,

j06

London, England
Destination Expert
for Solo Travel
Level Contributor
10,722 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Single Supplement versus Roommate Sharing

When I went to the Galapagos Islands on a GapAdventures boat, I shared my very small cabin with two different roomates at different times, each of whom had booked a shorter tour. Both were delightful women, but after walking all over different islands each day as well as the snorkelling, we really spent what little time we had in our cabin sleeping.

Perhaps on a different type of tour, it would have worked less well, but this only had 16 people in all and we all got on really well, despite differences in age and nationality.

In general, I don't do tours so the issue of single suplemements doesn't come up. I think there would be a lot of diffference in the atmosphere of different tours and that would feed back into how "matey" you were expected to be.

Kurashiki, Japan
Destination Expert
for Kurashiki, Cambodia, Myanmar
Level Contributor
16,125 posts
92 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Single Supplement versus Roommate Sharing

I would never share a room with a stranger, unless it was a hot guy. ;-p

I travel independently (i.e. no tour) so I choose my own accommodation, and have no problems finding places that suit my budget...

Kyiv
Destination Expert
for Kiev, Kharkiv, Donetsk, Ukraine, Lutsk, Chernivtsi
Level Contributor
22,211 posts
343 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Single Supplement versus Roommate Sharing

Room sharing? Only at force majeure! This does not include cost of stay for me – most of the time I succeed in finding accommodation that suites my budget.

It was only once that I have voluntarily shared the room with a stranger. When my flight was unexpectedly cancelled by a local company couple of years ago, and I forced them (sic!) to send me via the other city the same day, they put the pack of 9 other passengers on one “emergency” ticket, but couldn’t care less offering an overnight accommodation between the connecting flights (about 16hrs or so).

The first thing I did upon arrival to the connecting point was taking “my pack” to the airport hotel where those of us who could afford this have occupied the only last three rooms available. Those happened to be all doubles, so I invited a lady who couldn’t pay for the room to share it with me (well, yes, I’m a Soviet romantic and couldn’t be happy with an extra empty bed knowing that my compatriot, even if a total stranger, sleeps in the airport chair).

Don’t mean to complain (the lady was very nice and kind, but a bit off the rails because of that stressful situation), but hope I’ll never have to do that again! There are moments when you better be left alone (99.99pct in my case :)

j06
boston
Level Contributor
5 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Single Supplement versus Roommate Sharing

Thanks for the reply.

5. Re: Single Supplement versus Roommate Sharing

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 24 March 2010, 23:35
j06
boston
Level Contributor
5 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Single Supplement versus Roommate Sharing

Thanks for all the replies.

Kingston, Canada
Level Contributor
3,689 posts
100 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Single Supplement versus Roommate Sharing

I suppose it would depend on how much the savings means to you, and how easily you could let a bad experience with a roommate roll of your back and still enjoy your trip. I've shared rooms with people at hostels, but not for a tour where I might be stuck with the same roommate for the duration of the tour. If the added cost meant I couldn't do the trip then I'd likely go ahead. Look on it as an adventure - if it doesn't work out you'll likely have some wonderful stories to tell in the years to come.

ktown

Washington DC...
Level Contributor
1,882 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Single Supplement versus Roommate Sharing

I much prefer having a single room. College has taught me how to deal with having a roommate, so its not like I can't do it... I just prefer not worrying about a roommate when I'm traveling. Doing a lot of summer travel in the Middle East, mid-day naps/escapes from the heat are necessary. Working around someone else's schedule just makes it too difficult.

The one time I traveled with a roommate (an acquaintance) to a rural middle eastern town, it was miserable. No toilet paper, hard beds, flickering lights, shower was just a hose coming out of the wall, toilet was just a hole... I was loving it! He, however, wanted to be at the Ritz in Chicago... He wouldn't stop complaining.

Newton Aycliffe...
Destination Expert
for Cuba, Rafael Freyre, Guardalavaca, Holguin
Level Contributor
1,04,469 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Single Supplement versus Roommate Sharing

I hate paying the single supplement but would never consider sharing a room with a stranger, though I would with a friend.

I have taken to staying in private houses whilst abroad in order to avoid paying the hotel single supplement.

Christchurch, New...
Level Contributor
739 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Single Supplement versus Roommate Sharing

Agreed. I can hardly sleep in the same room with someone else I completely know nothing about. Would happily pay more and have a room to myself or start looking for a cheaper hotel.