We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Walking in the Lakes District

toronto
Level Contributor
28 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Walking in the Lakes District

I just returned from two weeks in the UK and I can highly recommend the Lakes District for Solo Travel. It's famous for walking but, if you're into more challenge, you can do a climb of 3000 feet. The paths are well marked. You'll never run out of options as there are hundreds of routes. And, as a solo traveler you're very safe as there are people coming along every five minutes of so. Plus, I saw people getting cell service on their walks.

As you can probably tell, I'm really excited about this destination. I've written about it on my blog. The first post is called "Falling in Love in the Lake District". There will be another on the pub life and a final on how to buy hiking boots that fit - something I had to do when I was there as I had no idea that walking actually meant serious hiking!

Anyway, here's a link. I hope you enjoy... solotravelerblog.com/solo-travel-in-the-lake…

London, England
Destination Expert
for Solo Travel
Level Contributor
10,729 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Walking in the Lakes District

Thank for the link and the recommendation, but the place is called the "Lake District", even though there are lots of lakes.

With typical understatement, climbing those Lake Distruct peaks is called "fell walking".

Alfred Wainwright is the god of fell walking and a guides to classic Wainwright walks are available in shops in the Lake District and on-line.

I believe there are 214 fells, enough to keep you occupied for some time.

toronto
Level Contributor
28 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Walking in the Lakes District

You are so right; it is the Lake District. I have corrected myself many times but not in this case. Thanks.

Yes, I was told that the official Wainwright walks number 214 but that there are hundreds more to consider.

Cheers!

Ottawa, ON
Level Contributor
2,605 posts
62 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Walking in the Lakes District

It's good to see another Canadian succumb to the pleasures of walking in the UK. I returned home two weeks from three weeks in England, which included walking the West Mendip Way and a week on the the Cornish coastal path.

I read the blog that you provided the link to, and note that you did your walking around Grasmere (not Grassmere as you spelled it). I'd caution you, though, not to make generalizations about your experiences. I can fully believe that you met people every 5 minutes where you walked, but I can assure you there are walks in the Lake Dstrict where fellow walkers are much more scarce. I can remember a walk above the east shore of Coniston Water from the southern tip without meeting another soul until we reached Brantwood.

I wish you many more years of walking in the UK - do try some coastal walking.

London, England
Destination Expert
for Solo Travel
Level Contributor
10,729 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Walking in the Lakes District

A BBC series was made about the Wainwright walks in the Lake District. I just saw an advert saying that they are now generally available on DVD.

The walkers among you might enjoy it.

It is available on Amazon.co.uk (and in Englisg shops) , but only the books and mapa are on Amazon.com.

5. Re: Walking in the Lakes District

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 20 May 2010, 09:48