We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Trek America - advice please

Thundersley
Level Contributor
35 posts
3 reviews
Trek America - advice please

My daughter (26) is planning to travel to USA next summer and has found TrekAmerica who offer a tour from NY to San Francisco with a great itinerary. Can anyone advise us on what the outifit is like to travel with?

San Diego
Destination Expert
for San Diego
Level Contributor
68,163 posts
72 reviews
1. Re: Trek America - advice please

Sorry don't do tours but you can read some reviews here.

http://www.my3cents.com/search.cgi?criteria=Trek+America

IF you want more sites with reviews just put-

Trek America/reviews

into Google

London, United...
Destination Expert
for Solo Travel
Level Contributor
11,053 posts
28 reviews
2. Re: Trek America - advice please

My impression is that most of the participants will be younger than your daughter (18-21) and she may find herself a bit fed up and bored with them, but your daughter should check with the company about the age group on the particular tour that interests her.

IME, there is a huge gap between 18 and 26

My daughter is the same age as yours and in considering doing a road trip around America next summer, partly with a friend and partly on her own.

Four years ago she took a week to drive alone from Salt Lake City, Utah to Austin, Texas and said it was one of the best experiences in her life.

I am giving her an around the world ticket as a graduate degree graduation trip and I believe she is planning to do most of it on her own.

A lot depends on what your daughter is like. You appear to have travelled to a lot of places and it seems unlikely that your daughter could not organise a trip herslf, but if what she wants is the party atmosphere of a twenty-something tour, then she needs to enquire closely about who takes her particular tour. I can see that a camping trip around the USA could be great fun with the right crowd.

London
3 posts
2 reviews
3. Re: Trek America - advice please

I've travelled with TrekAmerica twice - when I was 18 and when I was 24. Both trips were absolutely awesome and I can't recommend the company highly enough. I don't agree that the average customer will be quite a lot younger than your daughter - the trips are for 18-38 year olds and both trips I took had people in their 30s. I was the youngest on both trips. But if you're worried about that, just call the company and see who's booked on to each trip - they'll probably be able to give you a breakdown of 'a couple in their 20s, four people travelling on their own, one person in their 30s'. There might be a bunch of youngies on one departure date and then an older group travelling on a trip a week later.

I've travelled through the States independently too and there were loads of places I went to with Trek that I never would have found alone. The group dynamic was great - six years on, and my best friends are guys I met on my second Trek trip. I've persuaded several friends to go on Trek tours since mine and each one has come back with glowing reports.

If you want to find out more, there's a big facebook group 'Join Team TrekAmerica' where people can make contact before tours, ask advice from past passengers etc.

Derby
Level Contributor
6 posts
4 reviews
4. Re: Trek America - advice please

Hi I saw your post a just a quick note to say that Trek America is a fantastic experience! The company is great and it's a great opportunity to meet some new people and see the sights. I have done a few treks and if your daughter went on one she would be in for a fab summer!

Portsmouth, UK
Level Contributor
1 post
13 reviews
5. Re: Trek America - advice please

I have just come back from the Pacific Coast Trek America Tour. It was my first time abroad and it was AMAZING!! The age range was varied but everyone got on like a house on fire, the places we went to were beautiful and our tour leader (Art Fraiser) was professional and fun. I cannot recommend highly enough :)

London, United...
Destination Expert
for Solo Travel
Level Contributor
11,053 posts
28 reviews
6. Re: Trek America - advice please

Welcome to Trip Advisor Beckcible!

As you didn't fill out your profile, could you tell us how old you are? And what you particularly enjoyed about your trip?Thank you.

Edited: 03 June 2010, 23:31
Hamburg, Germany
1 post
7. Re: Trek America - advice please

Hi, I went on a TrekAmerica trip last summer and was the oldest (37, but I am very easy going and half of my friends are in their late twenties, so having an age range 18-38 didn´t bother me when I booked) by far and even though age doesn´t always tell what people are like, a lot of the rest of the group´s behaviour was rather childish and I would have enjoyed the trip a lot more with like-minded, relaxed grown-ups.

Blasting music when you start driving at 8 in the morning (especially with jetlag) may not be your ideal start for the day either.

It really depends on the crowd and you are stuck with them around the clock. The campsite experience varies, too, and our "tourleader" had the idea that he wanted to toughen us up by not letting us shower every night for example. This was ridiculous. Also the spots he sometimes picked for lunchbreaks or swimming .... passing by lovely locations etc.

Moreover, some ongoing stupid party game with a wooden stick each was supposed to pick on the second night which the participants should steal off each other during the trip, was really annoying; I really didn´t go along with this, I felt like I was in kindergarten.

The trip members (some of which were not even 21) often drank louldy in the evenings, too. I like a glass of wine etc myself, but hard stuff on a camping trip, yuk. One morning, when I woke up there was KETCHUP poured all over my tent and by the entrance, it stank when the sun shone on it and it was disgusting.

In many ways lots of the group weren´t really nice and there was a very odd group dynamic, too.

So it really depends, your daughter could get lucky, but then again I would recommend finding friends you really get along with, copy a route TrekAmerica suggest and do it by yourself ;) THEN you may really have the time of your life on your own terms!

Good luck and safe travels always!! :) T.

Liverpool, United...
Level Contributor
18 posts
112 reviews
8. Re: Trek America - advice please

I cannot recommed Trek America highly enough. I travelled with them for 6 weeks a coulpe of years ago and had the time of my life. I've booked with them again for this summer. I was 22 last time I travelled and was in the middle of the group in terms of age. Our youngest had just turned 18 and the oldest was 32. We all got along brilliantly. If you're bothered about the age range, ask Trek before you book - they will happily tell you what age the people already booked onto a tour are. They also have a good idea of what age the majority of people will be on eahc trip before they get many reservations - eg trips that start just after Camp America ends tend to have a younger clientele than tours at the start of the summer.

Bristol, United...
Level Contributor
13 posts
1 review
9. Re: Trek America - advice please

I've been with Trek America twice for week long stints. My first was an East Coast tour and my second was a West Coast tour. I had a great time on both occasions.

They're a good company and most travellers are in their mid-to-late twenties or early 30's. I'm 31 and didn't feel out of place. Obviously whether your daughter gets on with people is dependent on the other people who book on that particular tour, but that's the case for any company.

I've found them reliable and professional. I only have one word of warning- it's worth phoning up their London office and checking how many people are already booked on the tour. If there are too few, then Trek America cancel them. This can leave you with a bill for a flight that no longer neatly fits in with your travel plans. That's a very rare scenario- and to be fair to them, it *is* mentioned in the T&C's when you book- but it's worth making sure that a few other people have committed before you do.

Edited: 14 August 2010, 15:48
10. Re: Trek America - advice please

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 11 February 2011, 10:45