We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Warmer & Wetter than Ireland

11 posts
Warmer & Wetter than Ireland

I've been looking at doing a tour in Morocco over Christmas. I've looked at this tour before but the dates never suited. The problem is that it sounds like it would be very cold so I might be better off putting it off till another time. Does anyone have any suggestion of where I might be able to go that wouldn't be freezing or really wet. I realise that you can't depend on weather but in Ireland there's an absoulute gaurantee that the weather will be awful.

Destination Expert
for Solo Travel
Level Contributor
953 posts
85 reviews
1. Re: Warmer & Wetter than Ireland

Ireland is great, but wait a few months until spring or summer if you don't want to be wet. Otherwise I don't know, if you go to the carribeans the weather would be nicer than Ireland in the winter.

11 posts
2. Re: Warmer & Wetter than Ireland

Sorry posted that late and it was raining outside so had wetter in my head! Drier was what I meant. I'm in Ireland and if I don't get the hell out of here I'll to somewhere where it doesn't rain 345 days of the year I'll loose my mind! Caribean might be an option. Will have a look to see what's available. Thanks for the suggestion.

Destination Expert
for Solo Travel
Level Contributor
953 posts
85 reviews
3. Re: Warmer & Wetter than Ireland

Oops, sorry, Ireland is a wonderful and beautiful country, even with the rain.

11 posts
4. Re: Warmer & Wetter than Ireland

I agree. There's no arguing with that but you have to admit we get a hell of a lot of rain and wind and lack of sun makes me cranky!

London, England
Destination Expert
for Solo Travel
Level Contributor
10,991 posts
28 reviews
5. Re: Warmer & Wetter than Ireland

Agsiul, do you want warm + sights or do you want warm to lie by water (pool or sea) and bake?

For the former, Luxor in Egypt would be great. You don't need a tour. The best way to see the enchanting paintings in the tombs is by hireing a half day private guide. The guide with car, driver and admission to tombs in the Valley of the Kings and delightful workmen's tombs comes at a very reasonable rate.

If you dress modestly, covering legs to knees, arms to elbows and neckline covering cleavage, you will be treated with respect and have a wonderful time, no tour needed.

If you want sun warm enough to lie by the pool, Luxor may not be warm enough for that in December (it was in November, check on the Forum).

If you want more haet, you could try Aswan. There are fewer sights, but good lying in the sun weather as it is further south.

In either case, sun is almost guaranteed.

If you are willing to fly as far as the Carribean, the hurricaine season will be over and the sun will certainty be out.

I love Belize for its combination of Mayan ruins, snorkelling and good food. Belize has an economy and a culture of its own, the tourists are important icing, but not the whole cake.

Belize City is not very safe, but the rest of the country is fine for solo travel. The usual drill is to catch a local flight out of the Belize City airport to Ambergris Caye or Hopkins or Dangriga.

Florida might be another possibility. The weather is usually sunny, although not baking warm, except, possibly for the Florida Keys.

I prefer the Gulf Coast to the Atlantic coast, for one thing the water is bath temperature warm on the west coast and it just seems more like a real place, but others may feel differently.

The desperate for sun feeling usually hits me around February/March, but I do know what you mean.

11 posts
6. Re: Warmer & Wetter than Ireland

Brilliant. Thanks a million. There's loads of advice there. I'd be thinking more of sun with something to see so the advice on all those is much apprechiated. Especially the info about the safety and clothing. I got told by one of the women in work to go to Jordan as I'd love it...she must have come supplied with her guide book cause I got that sent down to me to clinch the deal. Will look into all the options and whatever I don't done this year I'll be able to do over then next few years. Happy Days!

London, England
Destination Expert
for Solo Travel
Level Contributor
10,991 posts
28 reviews
7. Re: Warmer & Wetter than Ireland

Glad we could help.

BTW, I was in Jordan this April and really enjoyed it (and fell in love with Damascus in Syria) but my understanding is that Jordan and Syria can get really cold in the winter. (and also, that the only sea side city, Aquaba, is much less enjoyable than one would expect.)

One of the reasons when suggesting Eygpt that I did not mention Cairo (although it is chaoticly fascinating) is that I have been told that Cairo can be miserable in the winter. I have certainly read that on the Cairo Forum.

The Egypt Forum is very useful, particularly CairoWendy who is an English woman of many years residence in Cairo.

I didn't specifically mention the Red Sea resorts because, although the diving and snorkelling are great and, I believe, the sun is very reliable, I found, at least Na'am Bay and Sharm al Sheik crowded and not very interesting compared to the rest of Egypt, but others love the party atmosphere.

11 posts
8. Re: Warmer & Wetter than Ireland

Again....thanks a million for the advice. I really apprechiate it. thanks for the info on Jordan. Have no idea what I'm going to do. So many places to visit and so little time/money!

London, England
Destination Expert
for Solo Travel
Level Contributor
10,991 posts
28 reviews
9. Re: Warmer & Wetter than Ireland

Ditto!

You might try giving Trailfinders a ring with your plea for sun and sightseeing. They sometimes have some really great deals.

I ended up on a 2 week GAP tour of the Galapagos Islands they were selling in conjunction with a BA 1/2 price fare to Quito (350 GBP return!).

I was just looking for an interesting place to go before spending 5 days at Christmas in the States! It was the trip of a lifetime and under 1500 GBP.

BTW, the Galapagos is sunny and pleasantly warm in December,....

11 posts
10. Re: Warmer & Wetter than Ireland

That's a really good idea. That sounds like an excellent trip.