We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Hostels; General Questions

London
13 posts
Save Topic
Hostels; General Questions

I've never stayed in a hostel before but what are they like?

Do you get clean showers and toilet facilities?

Are they shared bathrooms for each floor?

Do you get a washing service there?

Any info would be helpful guys!

Thanks

Lisbon
Level Contributor
678 posts
77 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Hostels; General Questions

That really depends. There are countries with better hostels than others. Normally bathrooms are shared with several rooms but not always, sometimes there are bathrooms ensuite. There are very nice hostels that organize activities for their guests and cheap dinners and have great locations. Others are a totally rip off. Check comments and ratings in websites such as hostelworld.com. If you're travelling alone it will probably be a better place to meet new people.

Have a nice trip

London
13 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Hostels; General Questions

Joon, whats Lisbon like to Solo?

Bristol, United...
Level Contributor
3,412 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Hostels; General Questions

Lisbon is great!!!

I have never stayed in a hostel, purely because I'm very sensitive to noise - a bed fellow's heavy breathing is enough to keep me up, never mind snoring. If you are willing to to dorm then it's a very economical way of doing things, although many hostels have private rooms - still cheaper than a hotel in many cases. I think it would be the best way to meet people like yourself :)

London
13 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Hostels; General Questions

Stoog, I left you a message in my other thread too lovey!

Please check that thread too IMMEDIATELY...Lol

Ottawa, Ontario
Level Contributor
357 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Hostels; General Questions

Every hostel is different. You have to do a bit of a research on websites like hostels.com or hostelworld.com and read the comments people left. They also have pictures and some of the hostels have websites so the information is out there (although doesn't always paint a full picture). A lot of hostels offer different rooming options (multiple bed rooms with shared bathrooms, multiple bed rooms with an ensuite bathroom and even single or double rooms with or without ensuite) so you don't necessarily have to be in a room with 15 other people. Also, some hostels have girls only rooms (not sure if you're male or female) which are the ones I prefer when travelling solo (girls generally snore less, ha ha). Just like with everything else, planning ahead goes a long way. Good luck

Seattle
Level Contributor
49,607 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Hostels; General Questions

Every hostel is different. There is no one correct answer to every one of your questions.

What are they like? Some beds are bunks in shared dorm rooms. Some have private rooms available. Some showers & toilets are clean some are not.

Littlehampton...
Level Contributor
636 posts
424 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Hostels; General Questions

It's a good option for your first solo trip. Have you decided yet where you want to visit?

Kurashiki, Japan
Destination Expert
for Kurashiki, Cambodia, Myanmar
Level Contributor
16,125 posts
92 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Hostels; General Questions

In Japan they are awful, and you could get private accommodation with ensuite bath for a few dollars more. In Southeast Asian destinations, you can get a very decent ensuite room for $6...

Manchester, United...
Destination Expert
for Pangkor
Level Contributor
2,879 posts
88 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Hostels; General Questions

hiya chimp how u duin? well iv stayed in some hostels around the world some good some bad and some dire!!

i think the best hostel i stayed in on my travels has to be on pangkor island in malaysia first time i went to the island i just knocked on the first door of the first hostel i came to and ,,,BINGO!! it was perfect, lovely white marble floor so cool and a fridge, double shower room and choice of 3 beds!! 2 doubles 1 single (done a bit of bed hopping that night!!)

and would you belive it a tele!! and clean towels and belive me there wer no bad bits??, and because it was a double room i had to pay all of £8.00 for it per night!!

the most dire one had to be in dublin!! at the youth hostel, my god the bed was like lieing on a piece of paper as a mattress!! it was so this and as for the bed it was a bunk bed and boy did it sway where the girl got in the top bunk!! i felt sea sick!! but who ever had the bed before had a rank pair of feet on them the bed absolutly stunk of dirty smelly feet id hate to see the person that owned them!! so bad it gave you head ache!! the sheets wer red and the carpet was boggin!! and it was shared shower rooms which wasnt bad when you could get an empty shower, most of the hostel you are able to do your washing and peg it out,some have washers and dryers on the whole most of the hostels you come across are decent for a hostel but remember if your getting the hostel whenyou get to your destination ask to see the room and facilitys then you can chosse whether you stay or not happy travelling maggieomx

Kurashiki, Japan
Destination Expert
for Kurashiki, Cambodia, Myanmar
Level Contributor
16,125 posts
92 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Hostels; General Questions

"hiya chimp how u duin?"

How'd ya knwo my nickname???! ;-p

I think the best deal I've had recently was a very nice bamboo hut complete with a double bed, bathroom(shower & toilet) and mosquito net for US$6. This was in Vang Vieng in Laos...

My budget is usually not over $15 and I never stay in hostels. I require my own toilet and prefer to have a shower as well. There are bargains to be found if you look around! :-)