We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Does this count?

Kuala Lumpur...
Level Contributor
419 posts
114 reviews
Save Topic
Does this count?

Not sure where this question belongs for an unbiased answer but figured I am often a solo traveler so I'd ask here.

I'm curious if the different "home nations" of the UK each count as "a country" for people keeping track of where they've been, for example, people trying to visit 100 countries. I know it's all technically to UK, but would you feel comfortable counting England, Scotland, and Northern Ireland as one each, or just one total?

Oregon Coast
Destination Expert
for Crescent City, Oregon Coast, Oregon, Redwood National Park
Level Contributor
44,174 posts
1,100 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Does this count?

Interesting question!

I don't "count" countries I've visited, but certainly England, Scotland, and Northern Ireland are each separate countries. As is Wales as well ;-)

Llanbrynmair...
Level Contributor
14,940 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Does this count?

Thanks for remembering Wales half-Brit!

Ajhno: I'm not sure about keeping a tally of the number of countries visited as that's not what travel is about. However England, Scotland and Wales can certainly be classified as separate countries. They may be united under the political and economic alliance of 'Great Britain' but each has its own language, culture, customs and flag, and Scotland and Wales have their own elected legislatures. Heaven help anybody who calls a Scot or a Welsh person English!

The situation with Ireland is quite different, for political reasons that would be inappropriate to discuss in this forum. However it cannot be not considered a country in its own right, but rather a British enclave on the island of Ireland and the fourth constituent part of the UK.

San Diego
Destination Expert
for San Diego
Level Contributor
66,320 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Does this count?

I also don't count counties,but have been recently informed that there is a travel club called the Centurions ,which require you to have visited at least 100 countries before joining. I would be comfortable with counting England,Scotland,etc as separate countries.

Vancouver, Canada
Destination Expert
for London
Level Contributor
58,219 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Does this count?

England, Scotland and Wales are most definitely separate countries. The Scots I know would collectively pitch a fit if Scotland were considered one country with England. The one Welshman I know is also rabidly pro Cymru and wouldn't have it any other way.

Now off you go: have a bowl of porridge with heather honey for breakfast, braised leeks and Bara Brith for lunch and a chicken & mushroom pie for dinner, so you'll have all the bases covered.

Llanbrynmair...
Level Contributor
14,940 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Does this count?

Thank you TravellerPlus for the loudest solo laugh I've had in a very long time! Or as it would be said here in Bara Brith country, diolch yn fawr.

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for Yucatan Peninsula
Level Contributor
19,336 posts
71 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Does this count?

I checked out the Century Traveller Club or whatever its called as a maybe present for the parents years ago....

They have a pretty loose definition of what they consider a separate country for counting purposes.

Nannup, Australia
Level Contributor
3,652 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Does this count?

BUT you only get one stamp in your passport when you enter/leave the UK. You don't get have immigration stations at Welsh, Scottish or N Irish borders......

Kuala Lumpur...
Level Contributor
419 posts
114 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Does this count?

Yes, I did go back to the Century Travelers Club and saw that they count the continental US, Hawaii, and Alaska as three countries, so I could qualify for five countries on my trip to Ireland/UK.

sydney
Level Contributor
659 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Does this count?

The century travel club also consider Tasmania to be a separate country from Australia....

While Tasmanians are a little different I think it's a bit harsh to banish them from the rest of Aus completely...

Melbourne, Australia
Destination Expert
for Melbourne, Victoria, Road Trips
Level Contributor
4,620 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Does this count?

There's no immigration stations between countries in the EU, but they are separate countries united under a 'banner'. So I consider England, Scotland & Wales to be separate countries, united under the 'UK' banner.