We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Wow - thanks for the forum! And a question, of course

Emeryville...
Level Contributor
214 posts
18 reviews
Save Topic
Wow - thanks for the forum! And a question, of course

So happy to see a new forum on this topic. Having done a bit of travel on my own, it will be great to have a place to ask very broad questions for a solo traveler. For example, I am trying to think of a place to go by myself, in March. I dont care for beachy, but i dont want it to be cold either.

I'd like a city that i would feel comfortable in alone, so its helpful if it is a US language friendly place. Anyone have a suggestion? I have a week, I like to keep busy (not one for lounging about much). Have recently done London, Paris and Sydney.

Are any of the scandinavian countries weather-friendly in March? Or too rainy?

thanks,

Vast

Liverpool, United...
Level Contributor
2,118 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Wow - thanks for the forum! And a question, of course

hi Vast.......

i think this may be worth looking at........

http://www.couchsurfing.com/

xxx

Newton...
Level Contributor
638 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Wow - thanks for the forum! And a question, of course

Hi vast,

Glad you like the new forum. I told you we would create it soon!

Looking forward to your contributions here.

TA_Sara

Mission, Canada
Level Contributor
9,095 posts
85 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Wow - thanks for the forum! And a question, of course

vast;

check out Buenos Aries. It looks like a splendid city to explore. Also, try Argentina itself. I hear so many good things about both. Buenos Aries has such a great European flavour to it.

Bucharest
Level Contributor
332 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Wow - thanks for the forum! And a question, of course

Hi

Thanks TA for that forum;; wawwwww am exciting... Vast! you may Try Bucharest for your next destination i'll be here around the forum to answer any question you may ask.

Glad that you jumbed into this forum so we can exchange info and get to know about new staff .

thank

San Diego
Destination Expert
for San Diego
Level Contributor
67,363 posts
71 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Wow - thanks for the forum! And a question, of course

Hi vast, I am glad this forum is up and running. I travel alone as my DH hates long flights.

I don't think you have to stick to "US language friendly" if that means that you can't go out of the English speaking world.

I have been to Venice,Italy 2 X alone and it is just wonderful!! Many people in the travel industry there,(hotel keepers etc) DO speak English. It would be polite though to learn a few words like"please, thankyou "etc. in Italian.

The city is very safe at any hour of day or night.

It is small and walkable and also has a good water bus (vaporetto) systme to use to get around.

I highly recommend it!!

New York City
Level Contributor
155 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Wow - thanks for the forum! And a question, of course

Just wanted to show my joy and happiness about finding this new forum! Much thanks to everyone who made it happen! I'd love to share all my insights and advice as a frequent solo traveler, and I'm sure I'll also have lots of questions to ask. Thanks again.

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for Yucatan Peninsula
Level Contributor
19,345 posts
72 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Wow - thanks for the forum! And a question, of course

How's your Spanish? I just got back from Antigua and Lake Atitlan, Guatemala - great trip and very affordable. Antigua is a gem - about 30-45 minutes by cab from Guatemala City. Its the land of eternal spring - not tropical hot. Lots of sightseeing or outdoors activities depending on your interest.

You can really get around fine with English, but if you want to converse with the local people who love visitors (people were repeatedly amazed that I was there as a tourist) it helps to speak some. I learned from multiple travels - my grammar is terrible - but I managed....

Amsterdam is also great, but it will be cold/damp in March.

Belize is also great even if you never go near the beach. Great Mayan ruins, cave tubing, caves with Mayan pottery/alters, etc. They speak English and the currency is tied to the US dollar - dollars accepted everywhere.

And, then there's Panama, but its hot! Check out Kuna Yala (aka San Blas) and Bocas del Toro. Islands, but not a beach vacation. They also use the US dollar.

Here and there
Level Contributor
638 posts
1 review
Save Reply
8. Re: Wow - thanks for the forum! And a question, of course

I hear Boise Idaho has much to offer and they speak 'murrican.

Mesa, Arizona
Level Contributor
9,998 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Wow - thanks for the forum! And a question, of course

Toronto is a GREAT city. There's so much to do. You need a good map and info on the subway system. They have great theater, museums (gee so does NEW YORK CITY.

But March could be cold in either place.

The Bakery
Level Contributor
9,526 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Wow - thanks for the forum! And a question, of course

Hong Kong is a favorite of mine, so is Edinburgh, though it will be cold there in March. ALso, consider Cairo as many Egyptians do speak English.