We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Solo Traveller planning to Istanbul Turkey Dec 2018

Singapore, Singapore
Level Contributor
96 posts
6 reviews
Solo Traveller planning to Istanbul Turkey Dec 2018

Dear Tripadvisor Expert. It will be my first time to Turkey. Heard about all the Cities they have but I will only have 7 days! Istanbul, Cappadocia & Pamukkale is in my bucket, you know where else i should be popping by? Your in-put is very much appreciated 🙏🏻

5 replies to this topic
I wander the world
Level Contributor
4,822 posts
25 reviews
1. Re: Solo Traveller planning to Istanbul Turkey Dec 2018

It would depend on your reasons for visiting the three cities you have listed.

I spent 10 days in Istanbul and was never bored. I was four days in Cappadocia and two days in Pamukkale. This gave me just enough time to experience the things I wished to in those areas.

Travel time need be considered as well.

Edited: 18 November 2018, 12:47
London, United...
Destination Expert
for Solo Travel
Level Contributor
11,100 posts
28 reviews
2. Re: Solo Traveller planning to Istanbul Turkey Dec 2018

I spent week in Istanbul and still did not have time to see everything I wanted to. Adding in Cappadocia

and Pamukkale is going to make your trip rushed enough without adding any other destination.

I stayed in Sultanahmet, took the trams and my feet to get around and found Istanbul a delight.

I found the Basilica Cistern fascinating, Topkopi Palace crowded but glorious and the mosques extraordinary.

You might find the the Lonely Planet Guide useful for deciding what to visit in the places you are going to and if you use a computer (rather than a phone or tablet) to see the TripAdvisor Istanbul forum you will find, on the right side a list of very useful "Top Questions".

https:/…ShowForum-g293974-i368-Istanbul.html

Singapore, Singapore
Level Contributor
96 posts
6 reviews
3. Re: Solo Traveller planning to Istanbul Turkey Dec 2018

NomadicByNature,

Indeed 7-day is too short for all! I love nature and would love to record them for my memories. Thank you for sharing will take note your in-put.

Hope you have a great weekend!

Singapore, Singapore
Level Contributor
96 posts
6 reviews
4. Re: Solo Traveller planning to Istanbul Turkey Dec 2018

Leagle,

Wonderful sharing on your journey! I hope I can do the same on my feet in Istanbul, no tour guide for me, so I will try to stay around Blue Mosque or Hippodrome for conveniences.

Never try Lonely Planet website before, however will try this time and who knows it’s help my upcoming journey.

Zillion Thanks for sharing! Hope your weekend is great Leagle 🙏🏻

London, United...
Destination Expert
for Solo Travel
Level Contributor
11,100 posts
28 reviews
5. Re: Solo Traveller planning to Istanbul Turkey Dec 2018

Didi,

You are very welcome, but I didn't mean the Lonely Planet website. I mean the actual Lonely Planet guidebooks (or the Kindle edition) or Rough Guidebook or Bradt Guidebook.

The internet is great when you know the questions, but guidebooks give you an overview you can't get from the lists on the internet. With a reputable guidebook, you also know that the recommendations are likely to be real rather than based on perks some blogger was able to negotiate.

Sultanahmet is the area around the Blue Mosque and is a great area to base yourself in.

The trams are very useful as well as there are some great places to see too far to walk.

Reply to: Solo Traveller planning to Istanbul Turkey Dec 2018
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted