We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Solo backpacking abroad.

Solo backpacking abroad.

I want to travel alone abroad. I prefer backpacking and on a budget. where is the best place to go? I prefer adventures and also safe places.

6 replies to this topic
kent
Destination Expert
for Kent, Solo Travel
Level Contributor
14,752 posts
141 reviews
1. Re: Solo backpacking abroad.

Hello Farizzul & welcome to the solo forum.

I note you have just joined Trip Advisor, & this is your first posting.

Your question is extremely vague and lacking in detail. In fact it's very similar to posts by a group of Malaysian students who have also joined Trip Advisor this month, to ask equally vague questions over a whole range of forums as part of a homework assignment.

Many of those posts have now been removed by the Trip Advisor as the questions posted breach posting guidelines on spam, surveys and homework/academic research. Understandably, travellers here & in other forums aren't prepared to give up their free time to complete someone else's homework.

I'm not saying that other solo travellers should or shouldn't reply to your post. Nor am I saying you may be a student spamming this forum, or not.

However, in common with other student posts, you haven't (so far) provided any information about your home destination, budget, intended time of travel, past backpacking experience, and any potential visa requirements. Consequently, I'm reluctant to offer advice, other than to get a map & some good guidebooks to actively self inform yourself.

Other forum members are of course free to make their own decisions on replying to you, but without more information from you, other posters won't be able to provide relevant suggestions or advice.

Edited: 21 October 2018, 14:52
India
Level Contributor
278 posts
11 reviews
2. Re: Solo backpacking abroad.

Age group? Location? Interests? Budget? Time frame? Number of days/weeks/months?

Seattle
Level Contributor
51,619 posts
22 reviews
3. Re: Solo backpacking abroad.

The cities of Europe are always a good idea. But depending on your budget may or may not be the best suggestion.

Edited: 21 October 2018, 21:09
I wander the world
Level Contributor
4,773 posts
25 reviews
4. Re: Solo backpacking abroad.

There is a good chance the most budget-friendly places are in South East Asia.

Safety is far more about who one is and how they choose to conduct themselves than were they are, yes, with the exception of war zones.

Depending on how you define adventure, such a thing can be had anywhere, anywhere which is new to you.

I recommend you find places which interest you or choose what sort of adventure you would like to have and ask google where to go...at this point you can decide what exactly budget friendly is to you. For example, one year I was looking for snorkeling from the beach, after much research I found an island off the coast of Central America..and sure enough Google was right the snorkeling was amazing.

r c
Portland, Oregon
Level Contributor
9,455 posts
1 review
5. Re: Solo backpacking abroad.

welcome,

for what its worth im an older solo male traveler. I use a backpack to carry my stuff.

as mentioend you are lacking in ALOT of background info.

" I want to travel alone abroad..................... "

OK. So how far is "abroad". Do you mean alone as is "i dont want to see anyone while im traveling or ?"

"......I prefer backpacking and on a budget. ...."

Ok;. what is that budget? Do you mean you want to camp under the stars? Do you want to walk/hike everywhere?

"......where is the best place to go?.............."

How much $$$ do you have and time? Do you have your VISAs and Vaccinations for anyplace? Do you mind rain, snow, dry deserts, mountains ??? Do you have any likes or dislikes?

"..... I prefer adventures and also safe places....."

what is an "adventure:" to you? Do you want to go caving like those in S.America did and do it without any gear or prepration? Is that adventure to you? Do you want to go walking in the bush by youself without any protection of any kiind? or do you want to skydive? Adventure means different things to different people. Sometimes an adventure to someone maybe just to leave the house or the city/town they live in.

Safe is also relative. you speak of adventure, but consider some adventures are extremely dangerous.

good luck.

Mystic, Connecticut
Level Contributor
169 posts
198 reviews
6. Re: Solo backpacking abroad.

I would recommend southeast Asia. There are numerous countries and each has a distinct culture. There are so many different things to see and experience. If you like hiking, seeing elephants and other wildlife, observing numerous religions and their ceremonies, visiting beautiful beaches and the many water sports that go with beach life and trying incredibly unique foods then southeast Asia is for you

One thing to consider is the time of year you plan on going abroad. Everywhere has different weather extremes. So depending on if you like hot weather, cold weather, or rain will help decide when and where to visit. Also, research where you decide to go to see if they have any local festivals or holidays in those countries during your intended trip.

Good luck.

Reply to: Solo backpacking abroad.
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted