We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Destination suggestions in Europe for single 23y guy in Oct?

Albany, New York
Level Contributor
25 posts
Destination suggestions in Europe for single 23y guy in Oct?

I have a week off around end of October, planning to get a trip to EU from NY. I'll be travelling solo, 6-7 days trip. What would be some great places to travel around that time for me?

Things I'm looking for in my destination:

Weather: Anything over not freezing will do. Preferably not much rain. The warmer the better.

Budget quality accommodation. I can afford about $60-100/night for a 4 star quality hotel/resort.

Fun event/festival nearby to participate for a day or two.

Easy casual hook-up with other tourist/local girls.

English speaking locals. They don't necessarily have to be native English, but gotta be able to understand/communicate with me.

Newbie friendly. It'll be my first vacation trip to EU since I was 14.

14 replies to this topic
Canada
Level Contributor
10,100 posts
81 reviews
1. Re: Destination suggestions in Europe for single 23y guy in Oct?

1. $60 per night for a 4 star- not going to happen. Check out hostels.

2. << Easy casual hook-up with other tourist/local girls.>>> Red light district in Amsterdam will give you all he hookups you need.

Seattle
Level Contributor
51,353 posts
22 reviews
2. Re: Destination suggestions in Europe for single 23y guy in Oct?

Agreeing with the post above, that's what jumped out at me! You aren't going to find "4-star" accommodations in that price range in major cities of Europe. Not even close!!

"Easy casual hook ups with local girls" ... another problem :(

English speaking locals who can communicate with you... again that REALLY narrows things down.

London? Amsterdam?

and good luck.

Edited: 20 September 2018, 22:50
Las Vegas, Nevada
Level Contributor
1,615 posts
112 reviews
3. Re: Destination suggestions in Europe for single 23y guy in Oct?

Your money goes farther when you head south or east. English language proficiency within the local population also drops as you move to the more budget-friendly parts of Europe.

Maximizing the chance of decent weather in Europe, while also maximizing English language proficiency and budget-friendliness leads me to recommend:

Portugal

Lisbon is awesome with lots to do. Airfares from the US tend to be cheap and you should be able to land a decent hotel for under $100 U.S., especially if you look in the more budget-friendly Alfama neighborhood of Lisbon. As far as opportunities for opposite-sex hook-ups -- the thought of which give some people on here the vapors -- that really depends on your game, doesn't it? Let's just say that there is no reason to believe that Lisbon is any more or less attuned to hook-up culture than any other European capital.

Albany, New York
Level Contributor
25 posts
4. Re: Destination suggestions in Europe for single 23y guy in Oct?

@mathladyca49 I prefer normal non-paid local girls who won't have tattoos everywhere and smell like the last guy, lmao.

@suze2you I can settle for $100 3star clean hotels or $120 4star hotels if needed. Is there any gathering going on London/Amsterdam in that time? Also, the English speaking situation that bad in other parts of EU? I had the general impression that EU people understands enough English to make basic communications with tourists. Would you have other suggestions if English wasn't a requirement?

@retrofuturistic Lisbon sounds pretty cool, I'll check it out. About hooking up game, last time I went to Asia, some places were really hard to find girls since they are lot more conservative. You could be Bernie Stinson and have no luck getting anywhere.. :( You have any other suggestions in the East/South? Doesn't have to be a big city, some kinda fest/event nearby would be nice for a memorable trip as well.

Edited: 21 September 2018, 06:55
I wander the world
Level Contributor
4,748 posts
25 reviews
5. Re: Destination suggestions in Europe for single 23y guy in Oct?

I think maybe you are talking about Barney Stinson.

Google is an amazing tool, try Festival lists or some such. Goodness Google will even offer you filters for what kind of festival.

East and south of what? If female companionship is what you seek you will have to stay in the more westernized areas of the world.

By the by I loved Lisbon although I was not seeking sex or any kind of companionship really. Thus the reason I travel solo. :0)

Edited: 21 September 2018, 07:16
Italy
Level Contributor
8,934 posts
6. Re: Destination suggestions in Europe for single 23y guy in Oct?

"won't have tattoos"

How old are you? Today even the average grandmother has tattoos. If tattoos bother you then you're the world's oldest twenty year old.

London, England
Destination Expert
for Solo Travel
Level Contributor
10,991 posts
28 reviews
7. Re: Destination suggestions in Europe for single 23y guy in Oct?

You probably would have better luck with other tourists than local women. (although calling them "girls" could be a problem if you prefer someone under 50) I'm not sure how common the "casual hook-up" culture is in traditional family oriented countries.

Staying in a hostel might increase your odds although, as retrofuturistic observed, it depends on your game. There is a hostel in central Lisbon in a local railway station that looked terrific, clean, modern and very central.

Googling "music festivals in Europe" for the dates you want.

The end of October is a good time to travel in much of southern Europe. You might look at destinations in Italy and Spain as well.

Albany, New York
Level Contributor
25 posts
8. Re: Destination suggestions in Europe for single 23y guy in Oct?

@NomadicByNature Yes, Barney Stinson from HIMYM! I mixed up Bernie Sanders' first name with his.. And companionship is a plus, not a must. Or I would just hook up with my casual dates in NY instead of a vacation haha.

@nzentena won't have tattoos "everywhere", mate. I have a few tattoos myself. But when someone has more tattoos than actual skin surface, that might be kinda over-doing it..

@Leagle Hostels are a pretty good idea, I'll look into it. Thanks!

Las Vegas, Nevada
Level Contributor
1,615 posts
112 reviews
9. Re: Destination suggestions in Europe for single 23y guy in Oct?

As far as other destinations toward the "south and east" of Europe, the party islands of Croatia would be a good place to look. The problem is that I don't know if the parties are still happening in October on Hvar, or in Novalja on Pag Island, or whether that is just a summer phenomenon.

[Think of Hvar or Novalja as being like Ibiza, except they are not nearly the budget-destroyers.]

Level Contributor
30 posts
8 reviews
10. Re: Destination suggestions in Europe for single 23y guy in Oct?

Despite October can still be considered a season in major Croatian seaside destinations, it is rather time for those looking to explore in calm environment with less crowds at more affordable accommodation rates. So the wild nightlife for the tourists is gone at that part of the year. Those seeking for it should visit in June-September period.

Reply to: Destination suggestions in Europe for single 23y guy in Oct?
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted