We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

U.S. Cities for Solo Travel?

Los Angeles...
3 posts
U.S. Cities for Solo Travel?

Hello everyone! I would love any suggestions on U.S. cities. that you think will be perfect for solo traveling! I'm open to all kinds of activities to do and things to explore. So far I've been to SF, SD, Seattle, Portland (OR), Chicago, Minneapolis, NYC, DC, Boston, and LV; and I would love to explore other cities!

My only concern - other than safety, of course - is the ease of going around without a car, since I don't drive. I won't mind walking around or taking public transport.

If you know any other U.S. cities that's easy to navigate w/o cars and perfect for solo travel, please let me know! Thank you everyone!

15 replies to this topic
London, England
Destination Expert
for Solo Travel
Level Contributor
10,972 posts
28 reviews
1. Re: U.S. Cities for Solo Travel?

New Orleans is walkable and has reasonable public transport. Staying in the French Quarter will make it easier to go out at night on foot. Otherwise you will need to make use of taxis.

Austin is fantastic and much that is worth seeing is walkable if you stay downtown. There is also a more local version of Uber.

Taos, New Mexico has a small centre and there may be local tours to further attractions. It is an interesting small city in a beautiful setting.

On the other hand, if you can manage Los Angeles without driving, I suspect you could manage almost anyplace.

If you are willing to extend your travels to Canada the choice is wide: Vancouver, Toronto, Montreal, Quebec and more.

Canada
Level Contributor
10,033 posts
81 reviews
2. Re: U.S. Cities for Solo Travel?

A second nom for New Orleans. Fantastic city.

San Diego
Destination Expert
for San Diego
Level Contributor
67,653 posts
71 reviews
3. Re: U.S. Cities for Solo Travel?

Third vote for New Orleans!! That's the one I thought of before I saw the other 2 posts above mine!!

Las Vegas, Nevada
Level Contributor
1,614 posts
112 reviews
4. Re: U.S. Cities for Solo Travel?

Atlanta and Philadelphia are the only two major cities in the U.S. that [a] you have not yet visited and [b] are manageable to explore using public transportation alone. And even at that I am hesitant to recommend Philadelphia as there really is not much there.* Any other U.S. city worth visiting -- and I would put Nashville, Kansas City, Houston, Colorado Springs, and Phoenix on this list -- requires a car.

Although it would require getting a passport, you might want to consider expanding your horizons to Canada, where air travel costs and travel time are comparable to a number of U.S. destinations. Montreal and Vancouver, in particular, would make excellent solo travel destinations. Toronto also has an excellent public transit system, but is a little less interesting in my biased opinion.

* Footnote added: Yes, there is the Liberty Bell. And, yes, it is worth seeing. It takes five minutes. Other than eat a cheesesteak, what are you then going to do with the other 47 hours, 55 minutes of your two-day weekend in Philadelphia?

Edited: 18 September 2018, 21:07
Seattle
Level Contributor
51,194 posts
22 reviews
5. Re: U.S. Cities for Solo Travel?

You're already hit my best suggestions on the west coast... San Francisco, Portland, and Seattle! :)

Bellingham...
Level Contributor
4,170 posts
1 review
6. Re: U.S. Cities for Solo Travel?

At this point, I’d invest in a passport and go to London. It’s a Mecca for a solo traveler that likes transit. Japan as well, and flights from LAX are so cheap. Paris, Rome. Both amazing. And if you can navigate LA, you won’t be intimidated by either. I think LA is more of a culture shock than Paris!

It’s worth noting that Colorado has ski shuttles and if you have a good budget for lodging, you could probably have a pretty awesome trip in Colorado. Abquerque/Santa Fe, as well. There are places reachable from NYC/Boston, like Cape Cod, Portland ME, Salem, Vermont.

Alaska Marine Highway might be of interest—it stops at the same places the cruise ships stop at, so there are tours you can do.

You didn’t mention Philadelphia, which I love.

But after that, and NOLA, I really think you’re going to be disappointed in other cities. Transit gets frustrating. I’m all for US travel but a lot of the cool places that aren’t the majority cities really require a car. You’ll be blown away by the trains and buses elsewhere. We really haven’t got anything close to UK’s or Japan’s or Germany’s infrastructures.

Seattle
Level Contributor
51,194 posts
22 reviews
7. Re: U.S. Cities for Solo Travel?

Well sure I like that idea better! With a passport, in addition to those already mentioned, I'll add Amsterdam and Venice. Any European city I have been to was easier to get around solo than any USA city I've ever been to. No contest that.

I wander the world
Level Contributor
4,738 posts
25 reviews
8. Re: U.S. Cities for Solo Travel?

If you're going with European cities don't forget Lisbon, it is the cat's pajamas.

Oh wait the title is US cities..Oops

Columbus, Ohio
Level Contributor
6 posts
4 reviews
9. Re: U.S. Cities for Solo Travel?

I just got back from a solo trip in DC. I thoroughly enjoyed it and transportation is plentiful. For a more expensive route there are plenty of Uber’s to get you around the capital and on the other hand bicycles and motorized scooters can be found to rend on almost every street corner.

If you have never been to DC their is a ton to see and do with the majority of them being FREE! (My favorite word) If you’re interested in reading about my experience of solo traveling in DC you can read about my trip here: backwardmaptravels.tumblr.com/MysteryVacation

Happy Travels!!

Seattle, Washington
Level Contributor
2,432 posts
1,074 reviews
10. Re: U.S. Cities for Solo Travel?

I'd back DC over Atlanta or Philly

Reply to: U.S. Cities for Solo Travel?
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted