hi all, my first trip on my own abroad starts next week. its the first time flying on my own!
i have everything practically ready - flight confirmations, approved ESTA printout (going to USA), passport, ranch booking confirmations (with full address and contact info), hotel reservations (with address/contact info), transfers (informally booked with a private taxi firm who are friends with the ranch), contacts on my phone, my clothes, books, chargers etc.
my questions of bits i am still unsure about...
1. clear bottles - should i pack my shampoo, shower gel, toothbrush, toothpaste etc in my suitcase or should this be in my carry-on bag? i was going to bring shaving stuff but i think i'll get razor and shaving cream up there because razors are sharp and prohibited, is that right?
2. flights - i have gone on the delta and virgin sites and they said i can select my seat already which i have done, its all marked as confirmed. when checking in online 24 hours before my flight, will i get my boarding pass by email? i am thinking of printing this out if thats better? should i still arrive 3 hours before my first flight out there if i have checked in online the day before? do i get my boarding pass at the airport?
3. connecting flights - got 3.5 hour stopover at salt lake, of which people have said before is fine. can i check the order of things i have to do, is it: get off plane, then its immigration, then its collecting baggage, then its customs and bag check, then i am clear, then i check in again both my flight and bags? my connecting flight is at the same terminal operated by delta again (although flight says virgin). i get conflicting information on this from the company who did my flight and delta.
4. return connecting flights - i have a 6 hour stopover at los angeles. whilst there, i was told i will not be picking up my baggage after touching down there as this will be automatically sent to the next flight, so i dont physically collect my baggage until i touchdown back home in the uk. but is this true? i thought international and domestic flights require you in america to always pickup your baggage each time you touch down and get on your next flight?
5. checking in - when i check in before my first flight 24 hours before takeoff, does this check into all my flights - both legs going up and back, or only the legs going to my destination? will i need to check in again on all my return flights 24 hours before they start seperately?
6. baggage - i have riding boots that have metal in them. this will be in my suitcase. will this be a problem? also i am thinking of taking some muffles wax to put in my ears to block sound when trying to sleep on the plane. is this allowed to take? i take it you're allowed to take the carry-on bag with you when you go to your seat as that would have my phone, paperwork and books to entertain myself whilst flying?
7. flying - i was thinking of playing videogames on my phone during the flight (with earplugs) and read. is it etiquette to try and start conversations with people you sit next to, assuming they aren't sleeping and look friendly? are movies free to watch on flight or is there a charge? how often are flights delayed?
thanksEdited: 17 August 2018, 00:57