We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Backpacking Insurance

Level Contributor
4 posts
3 reviews
1 helpful vote
Backpacking Insurance

Hey folks,

Looking for some recommendations for backpacking insurance.

I will be travelling for most of 2019 starting in South East Asia then onto Japan, Australia, South and Central America.

I’ve looked into World Nomads and a few other insurers, WD seems to not be as good as it was in earlier years! Hoping someone has had good experience with another insurer and potentially even made a claim.

I won’t be doing any extreme sports on my travels (sky diving, rock climbing, ect).

9 replies to this topic
Sheffield, United...
Destination Expert
for Nepal
Level Contributor
15,730 posts
56 reviews
39 helpful votes
1. Re: Backpacking Insurance

Hi Rhys

Stating your nationality & country of residence will help to get better recommendations.

In the meantime, if you live in Europe then True Traveller are worth checking. Their policy has covered what I needed at a reasonable price in the past. Your mileage may vary of course.

https://www.truetraveller.com/

scoodly

Level Contributor
4 posts
3 reviews
1 helpful vote
2. Re: Backpacking Insurance

Hi Scoodly,

Born and live in Britain, England.

Thank you for your recommendation, I’ll do my research into them.

Sheffield, United...
Destination Expert
for Nepal
Level Contributor
15,730 posts
56 reviews
39 helpful votes
3. Re: Backpacking Insurance

You're welcome. This MSE guide might be useful and reveal more options:

https:/…

scoodly

r c
Portland, Oregon
Level Contributor
10,274 posts
1 review
2 helpful votes
4. Re: Backpacking Insurance

welcome,

i use a backpack on my travels but its just a container to hold my stuff.

You may want to check what you can get in your country first and go from there. Im not sure how your laws would work if you bought something online and from a different country.

make sure you read the fine print and also check your homeowners if they cover anything.

good luck

San Francisco...
Level Contributor
859 posts
271 reviews
56 helpful votes
5. Re: Backpacking Insurance

In the United States a major credit card will cover many travel insurance, trip cancellation, and baggage issues. Also some standard health insurance plans in the US cover international travel.

Check your credit card, insurance plan, etc to see what's covered. I would also post in the Air Forum or a local England forum to get locals to chime on recommend insurance needs.

London, United...
Destination Expert
for Solo Travel
Level Contributor
11,431 posts
28 reviews
28 helpful votes
6. Re: Backpacking Insurance

Insurance is country of residence specific so the OP needs a company that is available to UK residents.

Where the "backpackers insurance" comes in the that trips longer than 45 days usually come under a different sort of policy and sometimes different companies.

Travelling around the world for any significant length of time is tricky for insurance.

Japan needs insurance with a higher limit as their medical care is expensive.

I believe Australia has a reciprocity agreement with the UK so basic care may be covered the way it is (at least until March 2019) by the EHIC card.

Repatriation insurance is one of the most important aspects of travel insurance and isn't covered automatically no matter where you live.

It is probably worth checking out several search sites. I'm afraid there is no shortcut for doing the work but getting an annual policy reduces the frequency of that work.

Liverpool, United...
Level Contributor
32 posts
17 reviews
33 helpful votes
7. Re: Backpacking Insurance

Australia isn't in Europe (but is surreally in the Eurovision Song Contest) so having an EHIC card or not has no bearing on the reciprocal agreement between the UK and Australia.

Don't just rely on this though; you should have travel insurance as well.

London, United...
Destination Expert
for Solo Travel
Level Contributor
11,431 posts
28 reviews
28 helpful votes
8. Re: Backpacking Insurance

Maz,

I just meant the reciprocity agreement worked rather the way the reciprocity agreements work with the rest of the EU (which has the EHIC) not that the EHIC has any validity in Australia.

And just as the ECHIC is best coupled with travel insurance, so is the reciprocity agreement with Australia.

1 post
9. Re: Backpacking Insurance

What insurance did you go for?

Reply to: Backpacking Insurance
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted