We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

mydaytrips.com

Florida
Level Contributor
326 posts
25 reviews
mydaytrips.com

has anybody used this company, mydaytrips.com, for transfers between european cities? because i don't want to rent a car, i am looking for assistance with transfers between non-touristed villages in portugal, so i am trying to decide whether to use this company. the company lines up local folks to provide the transfers, but i am worried about safety, etc. thank you.

6 replies to this topic
Ottawa, Canada
Level Contributor
12,315 posts
155 reviews
1. Re: mydaytrips.com

I see you have posted in the Portugal forum which might bring more feedback. I would just review local transport. I note you are also venturing into Spain. Local buses and trains are generally reliable, comfortable and better than USA has to offer. My bus from Granada to seville was under $20. Not sure why a car and driver at $300 more would be advantageous.

Why not ask on Portugal forum for transport option to your specific town? Or look on Rome2Rio website for options? Use it for research and then check prices and schedule on specific forum.

I would be more concerned about a third party company lining up locals to drive you. Do they have insurance to cover you of there is a road accident? Safe car? Good driving record?

As to safety, it is a personal concept. Just what are your concerns? These are developed countries with thriving infrastructure. The worst tourist can consider is purse snatching that can happen in any city. Gun related incidents are virtually nonexistent.....not what I can say for many US cities.

There must be reasons to go to nontouristed towns. Part of the fun is the loxal teansport experience.

Florida
Level Contributor
326 posts
25 reviews
2. Re: mydaytrips.com

thanks for your reply. i would love to use buses, but some of these villages are so remote that buses don't service them, or only on certain days of the week, etc. no, i am not venturing into spain, but most of the villages are along the spanish border. i have been utilizing the app you mentioned, but some of the route info is dated, i am finding, but it is helpful. i am askingnthe very small inns innthese villages about transport options, too, but some never leave these villages, so they don't know.

Ottawa, Canada
Level Contributor
12,315 posts
155 reviews
3. Re: mydaytrips.com

Thank you for further explanations. If that remote, then I can see the dilemna. Sounds like an interesting trip then. Sometimes small towns have local guys acting as taxi and might not be arranged until you are there.....I guess this company is one step up from that.

Ottawa, Canada
Level Contributor
12,315 posts
155 reviews
4. Re: mydaytrips.com

I did a little more poking around and it is very popular in Chech Republic for with almost 1200 reviews in Tripadvisor and 95% 5*. The reviews are under Daytrip in the Prague Things To Do section under Transportation. Maybe you can find something similar in say Lisbon?

I am not sure whether you are doing this as a day trip linking towns together, or as a transport service between towns you are sleeping in day after day. That would seem very expensive, and I note the website has specific routes they offer.....of cities, rather than towns.

Florida
Level Contributor
326 posts
25 reviews
5. Re: mydaytrips.com

thanks for poking around and yes, you are right about their ta site. the company responded this am with quotes lower than i expected. they also referred me to the tansite with those reviews, so i messaged four americans and have received one very positive reply. the company also told me that they do criminal background checks on drivers, interview each one, inspect their driving records AND their vehicles for safety and cleanliness. i hope to hear back from a few more of the americans and then i will,reserve a few routes

problem is that the medieval, historical cities along the spanish borders aren't well served by public transport, so i am interested in using them to get to the villages that i will use as bases from which i can make day trips via taxi. the small city bus lines in that area often don't even publish schedules and if they do, they are never in english. anyway, i will update all when i have made a decision and of course, after i return which won't be till oct 10.

Florida
Level Contributor
326 posts
25 reviews
6. Re: mydaytrips.com

by the way, i have visited ottawa and loved it. i hope to return. such a beautiful, clean city! i would so like to immigrate to canada, about now, but having no skills to bring at my age, the gvt doesn't want me. maybe portugal, though :))

Edited: 23 July 2018, 00:31
Reply to: mydaytrips.com
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted