We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Hotel sharing room number with taxi driver

Level Contributor
1 post
8 reviews
Save Topic
Hotel sharing room number with taxi driver

Hi

Today I asked my hotel to book me a taxi to a restaurant. I was extremely shocked and surprised when I noticed in the cab drivers display that my room number had been noted.

Just thought I would get opinions on this... As a young woman travelling on my own this has seriously worried me! Is this illegal under GDPR now (i’m in Northern Ireland)? Or is it just bad practise? Or am I worrying about nothing?

Any feedback to confirm and or put my mind at rest would be welcome!

18 replies to this topic
Canada
Level Contributor
9,803 posts
80 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Hotel sharing room number with taxi driver

No idea what GDPR means. But I would let the hotel know that this happened. Bad practise IMO

India
Level Contributor
243 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Hotel sharing room number with taxi driver

I wouldn't like it either. It's good to ask as to what use is the room number to the driver.

Italy
Level Contributor
8,782 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Hotel sharing room number with taxi driver

GPDR I think applies only to the internet.

I honestly don't see the problem. The driver shows up at the desk and asks for the guest in room 123 or whatever. Easier than trying to remember some foreign name nobody can pronounce

You do keep your door locked don't you? If the hotel has a front desk they likely keep an eye on who comes in..

Kent, United Kingdom
Level Contributor
17,107 posts
105 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Hotel sharing room number with taxi driver

GDPR is the EU wide General Data Protection Regulation which came into force recently, and it governs the way businesses and other entities handle ( and keep safe ) personal information they hold on a customer or client.

It doesn’t “ only apply to the internet”.

Once the data is no longer relevant, as in this case because the taxi ride was completed, then the company is under a duty to delete the information.

A “one off “ taxi ride is different from someone who has an account with a cab firm, as I do, and I would expect the OP’s details would have been deleted from their taxi firms database when the ride was done.

Edited: 18 July 2018, 13:50
London, England
Destination Expert
for Solo Travel
Level Contributor
10,892 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Hotel sharing room number with taxi driver

I agree. I am female and travel solo. I would be very upset if my room number were given out.

I think there is a good chance that the Data Protection Act would apply as the hotel is giving out personal information held by reason of the hotel's business without, it would appear, a need to do so.

Italy
Level Contributor
8,782 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Hotel sharing room number with taxi driver

"I would expect the OP’s details would have been deleted"

Which makes sense if the OP is a permanent resident at the hotel. But is the OP even still there?

Houston, Texas
Destination Expert
for Solo Travel
Level Contributor
18,210 posts
189 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Hotel sharing room number with taxi driver

I travel a lot for business. Consider the hotel point of view. What happens when there are a queue of people who have set up taxi's to shuttle to dinner or work location - all at once? It's often the case when I stay in Brussels - when there are 5-10 taxi's lined up with individual customer requests by the hotel. The driver has a piece of paper with the room # written on it - to identify the person. As long as this data is not preserved long-term, I don't see the issue. OR only do walkup, OR use a service like Uber - where you see the car's license # upfront. My 2 cents.

Seattle
Level Contributor
50,818 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Hotel sharing room number with taxi driver

No, it does not seem appropriate to me. I don't see what's so difficult about booking a taxi with the person's name.

And (if you're still there?) might mention it at the front desk in a non-confrontational way - "I was surprised you gave out my room number, it that how you always do it at this hotel?"

That said, it does seem an easy situation to work around since you're uncomfortable about what happened. Just call the taxi yourself or Uber next time instead.

India
Level Contributor
243 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Hotel sharing room number with taxi driver

Every time I have had a taxi booked by a hotel, I am asked to only give my name. Sure, the room number is relevant for the hotel staff to coordinate the taxis with the customers and perhaps send a bill in some cases but why should a taxi guy know which room I am staying in?

England, United...
Destination Expert
for Somerset, Solo Travel, Exmoor National Park
Level Contributor
34,125 posts
111 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Hotel sharing room number with taxi driver

No, I wouldn't like it.

I can see the logic, possibly it's sent electronically from the hotel so what they have is registered on Taxis computer to ensure billing is correct.

Would be worth mentioning if you are going to do this again, to please not send your room number. It would take only a minute to delete it from the send and replace it after - that's if it's not automatic.

The sort of hotel that offers this service usually has taxis outside. Would it be possible to go out and book direct?

I have this problem with my name stamped on credit cards and the like. I want first and last name because the ever present Miss indicates I probably live alone and if my bag is stolen they have my easily found address, keys and know that I'm not there.

Edited: 18 July 2018, 21:59
Reply to: Hotel sharing room number with taxi driver
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted