We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

walking with berber nomads

Tavistock, United...
2 posts
walking with berber nomads

I am walking with berber nomads following their goats and moving camp for five days as luggage is limited does anyone have advice on what to wear inc. boots

I am a 76 year old female and have always wanted to sleep in the desert under the stars and this is in October....any advice and tips will be much appreciated Susannah

7 replies to this topic
Ottawa, Canada
Level Contributor
12,315 posts
155 reviews
1. Re: walking with berber nomads

This is a specialized question and should be answered in a destination specific forum. We here are a diverse lot, but not sure any have discussed their Berber adventures. As I don't know what country, let alone the closest city, you will need to fjnd that Tropadvisor forum....in a google search field, type " tripadvisor ?? City(or country) forum" without the quotes. For that city, there may also be reviews for Things To Do and these allow for questions to be asked and answered by people who have experienced the activity.

The company, however, should provide you with these details.

I would think some spare water, rehydration salts, a scarf for covering hat, neck and face if needed. A friend talked about a desert visit from Morroco. They were given 2 cups of water and hubby elected to use that to wash his hair.....both wash and rinse. There was no more to spare. So wash hair beforehand, and consider flushable type wipes for freshening up...just pack it back out and discard them in a reputable garbage can when retunred to civilization. Good lip balm, moisturizing cream and sun screen. Also good sunglasses

r c
Portland, Oregon
Level Contributor
9,638 posts
1 review
2. Re: walking with berber nomads

welcome,

sounds like a kink in the pants type of trip.

if you can, bone up on your Astronomy, so when your are looking up at the stars/planets you will know what you are looking at.

good luck.

England, United...
Destination Expert
for Somerset, Solo Travel, Exmoor National Park
Level Contributor
35,101 posts
111 reviews
3. Re: walking with berber nomads

Quiltingmammas advice sound spot on.

How long is this for?

Boots, something old and comfortable. Ditto the clothes. Loose but covering during the day - I took to wearing teeshirts with long sleeved cotton shirt over and breathable walking trousers for my odd excursions into the desert. Modest, covers against sun. A loose head scarf, I used a light pashmina tends to be cooler than a hat but there are foldable hats for packing.

Look for cotton socks. They absorb sweat better. Ditto underwear in cotton.

Take something lightweight but warm for the nights. I'm sure you've checked the average temperatures day and night. The desert can be cold at night. I didn't find it so being English, nor the Canadians but some do and sleeping could be different.

I'd also sneak in some coffee sweets or wrapped small chocolates. Hibiscus tea is lovely but sometimes it's nice to have something familliar and less authentic. If it's a long trek between stops some glucose tablets might restore energy ;-)

Seattle
Level Contributor
52,063 posts
22 reviews
4. Re: walking with berber nomads

My advice is very small and limited but I think important. Agreeing with the post above about not packing brand new item. Since it is October I would shop asap for anything you need. The most important thing about boots (shoes or sandals) are that they fit perfectly, are broken in enough but not worn out, and won't give you blisters under any condition, especially on a trip like this one. Have fun! It sounds like a wonderful adventure. ~suze

Edited: 16 July 2018, 01:51
Ottawa, Canada
Level Contributor
12,315 posts
155 reviews
5. Re: walking with berber nomads

Are you sure the Berbers trek is in the desert? My google search shows treks in the Atlas mountains...quite a different kettle of fish

Tavistock, United...
2 posts
6. Re: walking with berber nomads

Thank you to everyone who replied, I'm sure I shall enjoy it!

Susannah M

r c
Portland, Oregon
Level Contributor
9,638 posts
1 review
7. Re: walking with berber nomads

welcome back,

i trip report would be an interesting read.

good luck.

Reply to: walking with berber nomads
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted