We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Where to go after Amsterdam?

6 posts
Where to go after Amsterdam?

I am a thirtysomething female and I will be travelling solo for a total of 2 and a half weeks in July. I am visiting Iceland for 3 nights, Copenhagen for 3 nights then Amsterdam for 2 nights followed by Rotterdam for 2 nights (going to the Rotterdam Jazz Festival).

I will still have 6 more days until my flight out of Brussels and I am torn about where to go next. I have been to Europe a few times for work and pleasure and I have already been to the UK multiple times, Paris twice, Geneva (and nearby Montreux), Brussels, Venice, Florence and Rome. Any suggestions on what to do for the remaining 6 days? I was thinking of doing something on a coast for a change of scenery such as Amalfi or south of France but I am travelling during peak season and flights and trains are relatively expensive. I do like wine tastings and was considering going to Burgundy for a few days from Paris.

Do you think it's worth going to Burgundy in this timeframe? Or is visiting various cities within Belgium a better alternative? I saw that Ghent in Belgium is having some type of carnival during that period. 6 days is a long time. Germany is nearby but for some reason I have never been drawn to going there. Is the south of France worth going to in peak season?

Your suggestions are welcome.

Edited: 13 June 2018, 21:56
7 replies to this topic
Maryland
Level Contributor
4,992 posts
6 reviews
1. Re: Where to go after Amsterdam?

Head south from Amsterdam to Maastrict, totally different. Now you are then into Roman ruins area. Do consider Germany from there, like Trier, the Mosel valley is lovely. More castles and timbered villages along the Mosel valley. There are some nice river day-cruises along the Mosel. You can then go from there to just about any German region that interests you, mountains or all the way up to Hamburg.

r c
Portland, Oregon
Level Contributor
9,313 posts
1 review
2. Re: Where to go after Amsterdam?

welcome,

what about Stockholm ?

good luck.

6 posts
3. Re: Where to go after Amsterdam?

I am trying to avoid too much backtracking as I would have already been to Denmark before the Netherlands.

Destination Expert
for Solo Travel
Level Contributor
953 posts
85 reviews
4. Re: Where to go after Amsterdam?

I would explore more places in the Netherlands.

There are many nice cities close to Amsterdam, such as Haarlem and the Hague.

Both are easily reachable by train in 1/2 hour or so.

I've heard Utrecht is very nice too.

Maastricht is lovely too.

Ottawa, Canada
Level Contributor
12,231 posts
155 reviews
5. Re: Where to go after Amsterdam?

You talk about concerts, festivals, or events, but are there any other things you like to see or do? It also seems that cities are your thing. Maybe you can tell us a bit more of what you like in order to recommend?

Belgium is better seen by car (in my opinion) for their great formal gardens and chateaux, but that might not interest you.

6 posts
6. Re: Where to go after Amsterdam?

I am interested in doing more of a countryside for a change of scenery from Copenhagen and Amsterdam. I like wine tastings and vineyard tours that's why I was contemplating Burgundy in France.

6 posts
7. Re: Where to go after Amsterdam?

I have decided to go to France and do a day trip to the countryside

Reply to: Where to go after Amsterdam?
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted