We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Affordable Singles Vacation

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
19 posts
Save Topic
Affordable Singles Vacation

I'm newly single and haven't traveled in over six years. I would like to take a short trip to the Caribbean or somewhere I can spend time on the beach and swim in the ocean. I would prefer to keep it under $600CDN and I've been browsing around for travel deals. My question is are there any affordable resorts/hotels that cater to singles or are solo travler-friendly? I also would prefer to leave in the month of June.

Edited: 06 June 2018, 21:28
10 replies to this topic
I wander the world
Level Contributor
4,644 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Affordable Singles Vacation

Am I understanding this correctly you both want both flights and accommodation for no more than 600 Canadian? If so I recommend you play with Google flights it has a HEAP of filters and it will give you an idea of just how much of your $600 is going to go to a flight and where you can get to for that amount of money.

I did notice on the Roatan board the other day there are flights from I don't remember where in Canada direct to Roatan for just over $500. By the way, Roatan is a fantastic place that has expats and visitors from all over the world because it's this extraordinary diving destination. No you don't have to be a diver to enjoy it.

England, United...
Destination Expert
for Somerset, Solo Travel, Exmoor National Park
Level Contributor
33,626 posts
111 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Affordable Singles Vacation

I can't advise on your price and choosen area but yes, you can get holidays at good prices. Hotels cater for singles more when they are looking to fill rooms on certain dates and there's no telling when that might be.

I searched for a long time last year and didn't pick up the same deal as the year before. But this year I've already seen it.

It takes more time but is more likely to find if you have say, three places you would like to go and keep searching. May drive you nuts when they don't come up but perseverance pays off :-)

Once you have a few places that you know cater at good prices and when it gets easier. Then you always can have a fall back place

Edited: 07 June 2018, 00:50
Canada
Level Contributor
9,221 posts
79 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Affordable Singles Vacation

What is your definition of "short"? For one night, $600 may be enough but I doubt it. Have you done any research on the price of flights and rooms lately as well as realizing that the CDN dollar has tanked in 6 yrs.

As a newly single perhaps a more solitary holiday would do the psyche more good than worrying about meeting people.

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
19 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Affordable Singles Vacation

I have seen options for less than $600 and a little over including the flight. You just need to know where to look. I assumed experienced travellers on here would be knowledgeable of that... my bad.

My main inquiry was on adults only hotels and resorts in the affordable range for a solo traveller (not necessarily within $600 as I'm aware they're likely to be more expensive). Single supplements are commonly attached to traveling solo. Any recommendations?

@mathladyca49 I already know what I want — staying on or near a beach is exactly what I need. My choice of vacation style is irrelevant to being newly single. Also I'm very social but meeting new people wasn't on the top of my list, and I'm not sure why you brought that up. I just want to relax on a beach.

Edited: 07 June 2018, 02:47
Seattle, WA
Level Contributor
1,233 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Affordable Singles Vacation

If you've seen options in your price range, it would be better to ask about them specifically, rather than ask people about an entire region.

I wander the world
Level Contributor
4,644 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Affordable Singles Vacation

I am confused, you have seen options for $600 or less but want to know more? I didn't see anything about adults only in your first post but now you say that was your intention. Is $600 your budget or are you now changing that number?

My apologies, I am confused.

Again, I would use Google Flights with it's filters to look at flight prices.

How to Use This Secret Tool to Find Amazing Flight Deals --->>>> https://www.travelandleisure.com/travel-tips…

If in fact, you seek an adults-only spot, try searching google.

"affordable adults only resorts Caribbean" -->>> https://www.google.com/search?ei=2YAYW6Ukwc3_BJPJktAB&q=affordable+adults+only+resorts+caribbean&oq=affordable+adults+only+resorts+caribbean&gs_l=psy-ab.12...34258.45477.0.48507.15.14.0.0.0.0.300.1753.2j6j2j1.11.0....0...1.1.64.psy-ab..6.1.140...0i7i30k1j0i8i7i30k1.0.1tXpnfD7t_w

By the by ~ we all travel a fair amount, I have never looked for what you seek.

Edited: 07 June 2018, 06:23
Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
19 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Affordable Singles Vacation

The $600 is my preferred price range which I mentioned to give an idea of the range but it doesn't necessarily need to fall under that price. Also, the options I saw in that price range didn't seem to cater to singles or solo travellers, so I was inquiring if there are affordable resorts or hotels which do as I noticed they tend to be more expensive. I'm sorry for the confusion. I'm open to spending more than $600 to stay somewhere that caters to singles and solo travellers as long as it's affordable.

@Ali O - I didn't have questions on the options I discovered in the price range and I didn't believe I needed to be so specific.

Houston, Texas
Destination Expert
for Solo Travel
Level Contributor
18,160 posts
189 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Affordable Singles Vacation

<I didn't have questions on the options I discovered in the price range and I didn't believe I needed to be so specific.>

You don't - but it's helpful. One thing many of the regulars here know - is that prices which are "advertised" on 3rd party OTA websites are really just adverts and often not real - in other words pricing is not "live". Sharing some specifics is often helpful. In fact, several 3rd party OTA will advertise a low package rate - just to get you on the hook (offer - prices as low as $600)... and once they have you - when the agent searches actual live prices, the rate goes up precipitously. But, some advice - as a solo traveler looking for adults only AI, you will struggle with that pricepoint with airfare. I stayed at an AO AI in Cancun a few years back and it was >$200/night as a solo. In that case, it's often best to book a business style hotel at a nightly rate. Cancun and Riviera Maya (PDC) tend to be lower airfares due to many airlines who fly there from YYZ. But for package deals, just be careful of not live pricing.

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
19 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Affordable Singles Vacation

I'm aware and it wasn't a 3rd party OTA website. I recently found a package including the flight which is around my price point so I will just go with that.

Seattle
Level Contributor
50,126 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Affordable Singles Vacation

<Single supplements are commonly attached to traveling solo. Any recommendations>

I just travel on my own. Buy a ticket, book a hotel, take the trip. I have never found a packaged deal that is cheaper once a single supplement is tacked on, than what I can do myself.

But sounds like you've already found some kind of package that suits your needs.

Reply to: Affordable Singles Vacation
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted