We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Travelling to Bali Alone!

Cardiff, United...
2 posts
Travelling to Bali Alone!

Hi! I'm a 19 year old male travelling to Bali alone for 2 weeks in October this year. I've just a few questions to ask and some general advice relating to traveling alone considering I've never been this far away from home by myself. any help/advice would be appreciated!

I'll be doing 9 days in Bali, then to Lombok for the rest.

My main priority is not getting bored so any suggestions on plenty of things to do would be amazing. Also what is the weather normally like in October time? Are there normally many solo travelers in Bali or is it primarily just travelers in couples/groups?

As I said, any suggestions/advice that relate to travelling alone would be great!

24 replies to this topic
Seattle
Level Contributor
51,261 posts
22 reviews
1. Re: Travelling to Bali Alone!

<My main priority is not getting bored>

My personal belief is that "boredom" comes from yourself, not your location. Why did you pick Bali? There must be a reason it interested you enough to plan this trip. Get a guidebook. Upon arrival talk to people.

Your trip is your own, doesn't matter what other people are doing, or if other people are couples or groups. There's always some solo travelers anywhere you go.

As far as advice... take a book, load your kindle, put favorite music on your iPod, buy a magazine at the airport. In case for some strange reason you are just too bored to fill 9 days in Bali ;-)

Get on the Bali forum here on Trip Advisor and see if there are any Meet-Ups going on, or other similar-minded solo travelers you could meet for drinks or dinner.

safe travels, suze

Edited: 30 April 2018, 03:08
Canada
Level Contributor
10,068 posts
81 reviews
2. Re: Travelling to Bali Alone!

Things to do -I would ask this on the Bali forum.

For solo travel, maybe start by reading this https://www.tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g1-i12…

kent
Destination Expert
for Kent, Solo Travel
Level Contributor
14,637 posts
141 reviews
3. Re: Travelling to Bali Alone!

Bali is a fantastic destination, which is why I'm sure you booked it.

The area around Kuta is particularly popular with younger people due to the surf schools. You've probably already read about Ubud & I can hand on heart say it's a fascinating inland part of Bali which caters well for all age groups without selling out it's cultural soul to mass tourism.

As Bali is relatively close for travellers from Australia, you can expect the open & friendly charm of the Ozzies to be reflected in a few sports bars & cafes. I found Balinese people to be genuinely delightful hosts, with a warmth and humor that puts travellers at ease.

I've no doubt you'll have a memorable trip and would signpost you to the Bali forum for practical info, updates on activities and recommendations on what to see & do.

Melbourne
Level Contributor
1,284 posts
25 reviews
4. Re: Travelling to Bali Alone!

I’ve not been to Lombok but been to Bali four times. Only the once solo for a food festival. As suggested already, the Kuta area is popular for your age group, all ages actually. There are a few party hotels if that’s your thing, Bounty comes to mind. I’m sure you’ll find other solo travellers there or groups of friends. Sunset beers on the beach would be a good place to meet new people also. One time there with friends we picked up a stray from the US at the beach and dragged him along for a meal and (more than) a few drinks after.

I’ve been in November, start of wet season, but the weather was still quite good. Hot as usual but not too humid. October “should” be fine but it is the tropics so you should always be prepared for rain.

You can easily book transport for day trips from the very many drivers touting for business on the streets, expect IDR500-600k for a full day. Or book a shared trip at one of the tour stalls, most will include hotel pick up.

If you’re looking into the Gilis at Lombok, there’s a thread on the Lombok forum you may want to read. Something like “Gili T is a dump”. Some pretty bad reviews of the island but also a few stating otherwise. I don’t care whether you go or not, just wanted to make you aware the glossy travel brochures aren’t always to be believed. Bali itself isn’t the tropical paradise it’s often made out to be but is still a good spot for a holiday, especially for Aussies as we don’t have to travel too far.

Enjoy your trip.

Pune, India
Level Contributor
6 posts
2 reviews
5. Re: Travelling to Bali Alone!

I am travelling to Bali in mid of October (Solo). Looking for a fellow traveler for local trips. You can write to me at oaindrila.banerjee@gmail.com

kent
Destination Expert
for Kent, Solo Travel
Level Contributor
14,637 posts
141 reviews
6. Re: Travelling to Bali Alone!

@oaindrita... You have posted your email address on an unmonitored public forum and run the very real risk of being bombarded with posts from trolls, spammers, advertisements and strangers posing as "friends".

Please note, trip advisor does not provide a buddy search facility, but there is an info item pinned to the top of this column.

Looking for people to share the costs of your trip is also regarded as solicitation and breaches trip advisor posting guidelines.

I am not trying to censor you but I am going to report your post & the trip advisor moderators may remove your post.

For advice and suggestions on how to travel in and around Bali, please read the helpful replies already given in this thread, and read the information in the Bali forum itself.

Should you decide to post a question in the Bali forum, please do NOT add your email address to your post.There is no need to provide your email address to posts in TA, as posters can send you a "private message" via your Trip Advisor account. You'll be notified of any pm's by seeing a red dot appearing in the envelope sign located in the green scroll bar running across the top of your own account page.

1 post
7. Re: Travelling to Bali Alone!

I am also traveling to Bali alone in October. I am from Ireland and will be traveling back from OZ. I arrive on the 6th if you want to message me.

Melbourne, Australia
Destination Expert
for Perth, Antarctic Adventures
Level Contributor
16,934 posts
30 reviews
8. Re: Travelling to Bali Alone!

October you are going to find it over run by Aussies. You have the mass end of season football club trips - both professional and amateur clubs, all codes; then you have the early school leavers (the bulk arrive in Nov but many schools break up earlier). If you like being around young drunk Australians - you definitely wont get bored.

1 post
9. Re: Travelling to Bali Alone!

Hi. I'm travelling to Bali on 7th October. My name is Srilekha from India. Do let me know if the plan is still on?

Edited: 21 August 2018, 04:35
10. Re: Travelling to Bali Alone!

hi, I'm travelling to Bali too. will be there at 1 Oct. let me know if you want to joint.

Reply to: Travelling to Bali Alone!
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted