We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Lazy, sunny holiday? (Europe & budget)

Manchester, United...
Level Contributor
113 posts
21 reviews
Save Topic
Lazy, sunny holiday? (Europe & budget)

I do a lot of culture travel, but I am really craving just lying in the sun with a book right now!

Can anyone suggest somewhere cheap (ish, I'm an ok bargain hunter!) and safe that I could go to in August on my own?

I'm flexible on location just don't want to travel too far really! I'm 25 but not a clubbing kind of person, looking for more peace and quiet if that exists?

Thanks in advance!

Italy
Level Contributor
8,770 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Lazy, sunny holiday? (Europe & budget)

You don't give a number for the budget. In addition August flights have likely gone up.

Canary islands are almost off season during the summer. Southern Fuerteventura ticks the boxes peaceful,quiet and gorgeous beaches. But you'll have to see how bad flights have gotten and hotels.

OTOH August will have those issues no matter your destination.

One thing if you can't get a direct budget flight you could fly to mainland Spain first and then get a connection. Madrid and Barcelona both tend to have cheaper flights to Fuerteventura.

r c
Portland, Oregon
Level Contributor
9,148 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Lazy, sunny holiday? (Europe & budget)

i would start looking at the flight search engines for your time frame and go from there.

Sheffield
Level Contributor
5,434 posts
154 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Lazy, sunny holiday? (Europe & budget)

As you are in Manchester, I suggest that you go into a local travel agent to find a last minute deal from Manchester Airport. Try Thomson, Thomas Cook and Co-op.

The bad news is, of course, that August is peak time for families so the peace you crave may be hard to find.

Your screen name suggests that you have a specific dietary requirement. That might be a bit difficult in conventional holiday resorts. Perhaps a Spanish city like Malaga or Valencia could work as they both have beaches.

England, United...
Destination Expert
for Somerset, Solo Travel, Exmoor National Park
Level Contributor
34,108 posts
111 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Lazy, sunny holiday? (Europe & budget)

Trying to get away from families and the resulting higher prices you could look at some of the smaller places along the Costa del Sol or in the other direction from Malaga.

A lot of lovely small towns where sitting in the shade with a wine or coffee, walking the beaches etc are located. They get less press because they don't offer the facilities and entertainment. You could join in the local stuff though. Food is cheap by our standards and bus travel too.

As David said, I looked last night and saw a discount for Menorca with Tui but they are mostly resorts so quiet may be harder to find.

Another point is perhaps look at Agriturismo. Small stays on farms and such. Could be by a river, in the mountains or near the coast. I've seen some lovely places and prices vary. Or have a look at Greece. Naxos apartment called Something Else --from bed to pool mebbee 30ft, lovely place. Cost per night under E30

Though there is a little cafe with the last you just need to check that somewhere budget friendly to eat is within reach and a bus from the airport. Buses are usually a lot more regular than ours as more people use them

Manchester, United...
Level Contributor
113 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Lazy, sunny holiday? (Europe & budget)

I'm sadly stuck to school holidays because of my job! It's a pain really.

These are all really useful ideas! I think it's likely to be cheap in Spain or Greece, ideally off the beaten track. Food wise, when it's hot I am happy to just eat salad/ fruit so I'm not actually letting it guide me too much and the ideal is self-catering if at all possible.

My budget is currently "undefined" but I've managed to get my travel and accommodation in Ile de France for July for £225 (plus hotel taxes) for 6 nights so I'm not wanting to pay too much more than this. You've given me a lot to research though! My goal is to use what money I don't spend in France on this trip as a way to keep my spending in line! (But we're going to Disneyland so it's going to be difficult!)

NZ
Level Contributor
1,380 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Lazy, sunny holiday? (Europe & budget)

Also consider Malta if you can get a cheap flight. While not super cheap while there you have a great mix of both culture and beach in the outer areas which may give you both of things you love.

Wales, United...
Destination Expert
for Bargain Travel, Cruises, Swansea, Cardiff, Carmarthenshire, Neath, Port Talbot
Level Contributor
71,324 posts
470 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Lazy, sunny holiday? (Europe & budget)

I was very impressed with Corfu. I'd also take a look at Croatia. Malta is not a bad idea either.

8. Re: Lazy, sunny holiday? (Europe & budget)

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 30 May 2018, 09:47