We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

First Solo Trip to Italy, Switzerland, France and London

Singapore, Singapore
Level Contributor
16 posts
First Solo Trip to Italy, Switzerland, France and London

Hello everyone!

I am Nickolas from Singapore. I will be embarking on my first ever solo trip to Italy, Switzerland, France and London this May for three weeks. So I have a number of questions that I hope you guys can help me.

Mainly I want to ask about data, how the subway works and places of interests in these countries. I will be going Rome, Venice, Milan, Switzerland, Paris and lastly, London.

Data

Which prepaid data plan/sim card do you all recommend for me to get? Am i am able to use them for all the places I am going? How much are the cost? It will be better if the data are unlimited.

Subway

I read that I can get a subway station card to travel around in Italy. Anything that I need to take note of? I will be travelling from Fiumicino - Leonardo da Vinci airport to Roma Termini, is it difficult to navigate my way?

Postage

Anyone from Singapore ever use these countries postage services to send items back to Singapore? I would like to get something such as chocolate and send it back to my home for my families since I doubt I am able to carry them around while I travel to other cities. Any recommendation which postage services I can use and if possible, how much are the costs?

Places of interests

Would love it if anyone can recommend me some places I can visit while I am at my destination. I am planning to visit Stonehenge, Paris Disney Land, Harry Potter World and the Harry Potter Cursed Child Play in London.

Do you all recommend me to get the tickets online or get it when I am there? It seems that the Harry Potter and Cursed Child Play tickets are always sold out, anyways I can get them when I arrive there? Also, anyone has information about Harry Potter World in London?

Feel free to share with me some tips or things I should take note of while traveling. Thank you!

Australia
Destination Expert
for Singapore, Bargain Travel, Holiday Travel, Singapore
Level Contributor
27,665 posts
1. Re: First Solo Trip to Italy, Switzerland, France and London

Hello,

You will get some helpful replies on this Solo Travel forum, but specific questions about specific cities are best asked on its own travel forum. Every city has its own forum on TripAdvisor. Easy to find a specific forum. Go to Google and type in a city name followed by the words forum TripAdvisor, eg. Rome forum TripAdvisor. Or navigate your way to find a forum through this homepage link -

https://www.tripadvisor.com.au/ForumHome

I hope you are on the full website, not the TripAdvisor APP which limits what you can see and access on any forum. On the full website look at the top of any city forums page. In the green banner across the top of the page is a link to "Things to Do". Click that.That will be all the tourist attractions, fun and interesting places to visit, museums, tours for that city. All reviewed by your fellow TripAdvisor members.

Every forum also has a Top Questions section. Links to useful topics at the top right-hand side of any forums page. This Solo Travel forums Top Questions are very good and practical information to help a solo traveller. I hope you scroll up and look through them.

I hope that helps you with your Trip research.

kent
Destination Expert
for Kent, Solo Travel
Level Contributor
14,963 posts
141 reviews
2. Re: First Solo Trip to Italy, Switzerland, France and London

Nikolas..... Avanti has given you excellent advice. Most of your questions can be answered by reading the information items within the Top Questions box for each forum. Travel cards, costs and tourist attraction cards are a standard feature in the TQ's. You'll also find articles explaining how to get from the airports into any given city.

However.... London theatre.....if the theatre's own website says it has sold out of tickets, then your only way of getting a ticket would be to actually go to the theatre itself ( on the day and about an hour before curtain up) & ask if they have had any "returns". These are previously sold tickets, which have been cancelled and returned as the customer can't attend. If you're lucky you may get a ticket, but you won't have any choice over the position of the seat.

Trains....if you are taking trains across Europe, including the Eurostar from Paris to London, one of the best rail websites is at www.seat61.com

You can book a Eurostar ticket directly at www.esurostar.com

For info on travelling in, around and through London, plus substantial additional tourist info, please see www.tfl.gov.uk

For things to do in any of your destinations, I'd agree with Avanti.... use the green scroll bar across the top of the forum page, where you'll see an icon called...things to do. If you click on it, a further drop down menu appears, separating out and listing sights/activities/locally bookable tours etc, sometimes with additional web links for direct bookings.

Canada
Level Contributor
10,572 posts
81 reviews
3. Re: First Solo Trip to Italy, Switzerland, France and London

6 cities in 3 wks plus travel days is not a great plan, Pick 2 countries ie Italy and Switzerland and do them well

Singapore, Singapore
Level Contributor
16 posts
4. Re: First Solo Trip to Italy, Switzerland, France and London

Hi Avanti_SG and mcpinder, thanks a lot for the information directing me to the right place where I can find the answers to my questions.

r c
Portland, Oregon
Level Contributor
9,651 posts
1 review
5. Re: First Solo Trip to Italy, Switzerland, France and London

Postage...

Most of the pkaces you can use their "post office" to ship stuff back home.

Try googling for post office in those countries. You may find a web site too. Then root around and see if you can find shipping parcels home and see what cost. Some may have "economy" or "proiority" or " expedited".

Most may have a price break at 2kg. go over that and it may get more expensive.

Also make sure you ask for a "duty form" if you need it.

6. Re: First Solo Trip to Italy, Switzerland, France and London

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 18 April 2018, 09:48