We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Visiting Ireland. Need advice on where else I should travel.

Atlanta, Georgia
Level Contributor
18 posts
Save Topic
Visiting Ireland. Need advice on where else I should travel.

I will be traveling alone to Ireland between 5/24 and 6/2. I would like to take advantage of the cheap airfare (Ryanair, etc.) and visit one other European city while I am there. Here are the locations I am considering: London, Manchester, Edinburgh, Berlin, and Prague. I initially decided on London. However, I recently had a couple of people state that London is just New York City with a different accent. I am not a fan of NYC and am not sure if I would enjoy London. Anybody have suggestions for a solo traveler?

Australia
Destination Expert
for Singapore, Bargain Travel, Holiday Travel, Singapore
Level Contributor
25,516 posts
123 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Visiting Ireland. Need advice on where else I should travel.

I certainly don't agree with the "London is like NY but with a different accent". its a wonderful city. But I guess the people you spoke to didn't like it at all, or maybe didn't appreciate or understand the culture and history.

I suggest researching and reading about these cities and then deciding.

Berlin is also somewhere I enjoy visiting, also Edinburgh. Prague is on my list of places to visit.

kent
Destination Expert
for Kent, Solo Travel
Level Contributor
14,238 posts
134 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Visiting Ireland. Need advice on where else I should travel.

Although London is a city, it's not like New York!

Your decision may be influenced by how many currencies you want to use. For Ireland, it's the Euro, for the UK it's sterling, for Prague it's the Czech Krona.

Please be aware that Ryanair have very strict rules on the weight and dimensions of any carry on luggage, which they do enforce! They make additional charges for checked luggage and a credit card fee. Sometimes Aer Lingus offer better fares, & although they also have policies for carry on luggage, they fly other routes so you may have more choice of destinations.

I'd agree with Avanti....research your potential destinations and then decide where you'd like to go to.

Out of curiosity... why Manchester???

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
84 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Visiting Ireland. Need advice on where else I should travel.

I'm from NYC and I can tell you London is vastly different. London as a city is much older than NYC so if you enjoy castles, palaces and the like, London has them all. It also has several world class museums. It may remind you a bit of NYC in terms of ethnic diversity, traffic, rush hour crowd in the underground, etc. but the same applies to many big cities around the globe

Western Ireland...
Destination Expert
for Sligo, Charlottesville, Virginia, County Donegal
Level Contributor
20,252 posts
286 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Visiting Ireland. Need advice on where else I should travel.

I agree that you should do a bit more researching... Your library most likely has a great travel section... See if you have a Atlanta 'Friends of the Library' Shop.. Great prices..

btw... I love London..Incredible sites & museums..

Kesh_grammy

Essex
Level Contributor
31,055 posts
69 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Visiting Ireland. Need advice on where else I should travel.

Ireland uses Euros - €, for currency and the UK uses £ Sterling.

The majority of Continental Europe within the EU also uses Euros - € for currency.

Travelling to Berlin would save the small inconvenience of making further money changes, if that makes a difference to you.

Brussels, Belgium
Level Contributor
1,283 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Visiting Ireland. Need advice on where else I should travel.

In France: Rennes (about 1 hour to Mont Saint Michel) Nantes (about 1 hours from Rennes) or Bordeaux

Argyll, Scotland
Level Contributor
71 posts
105 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Visiting Ireland. Need advice on where else I should travel.

Totally agree that NYC and London couldn't be more different. There are no 1,000 year old buildings in NYC!

San Diego
Destination Expert
for San Diego
Level Contributor
66,304 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Visiting Ireland. Need advice on where else I should travel.

Every city is different and has its pluses and minuses.

To me your trip to Ireland is a short one and I'd just see more of that country than spend time traveling to another one. Perhaps tell folks your plans in Ireland and they can help you with that? IF you must go somewhere else I'd at least try to stick to other euro using places to at least keep the money issues the same.

Ohio
Level Contributor
23 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Visiting Ireland. Need advice on where else I should travel.

London is so very different from New York in so many ways, but Edinburgh is a really fascinating and ancient city as well (though it shares some similarities with places in Ireland). I would not suggest Manchester if you want something different from North American cities; it's a nice enough town, but reminds me a lot of Toronto or even Cincinnati.

10. Re: Visiting Ireland. Need advice on where else I should travel.

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 20 April 2018, 09:48