We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Why is going holiday solo more than going with someone?

Birmingham, United...
Level Contributor
27 posts
5 reviews
Why is going holiday solo more than going with someone?

When browsing through sites i have noticed prices are lower when you book with someone else but on solo option its more?

Australia
Destination Expert
for Singapore, Bargain Travel, Holiday Travel, Singapore
Level Contributor
28,231 posts
1. Re: Why is going holiday solo more than going with someone?

Maybe you are seeing a "Single Supplement" which some companies or tour operators have. Which sites are you looking at, and what for?

Ottawa, Canada
Level Contributor
12,340 posts
157 reviews
2. Re: Why is going holiday solo more than going with someone?

If pricing a packaged holiday, even the room price is halved, so you will have to pay more to have the room. At times, they feel there is less additional income (drinks, purchases, fancier meals, gambling, 'whatever') when only one person traveling so you are penalized for lost revenue.

Birmingham, United...
Level Contributor
27 posts
5 reviews
3. Re: Why is going holiday solo more than going with someone?

i'm looking at onthebeach and loveholidays. for chilling in a sun holiday by myself so i can get away from stuff.

it just confuses why is it so high, the total prices are around over 400 (including transfers/bags) and that was also the total of my last holiday for two

Australia
Destination Expert
for Singapore, Bargain Travel, Holiday Travel, Singapore
Level Contributor
28,231 posts
4. Re: Why is going holiday solo more than going with someone?

I hope you do some research on both those companies as I've seen many complaints on here. Use the search box just above your question and type in On the Beach or Love Holidays, then choose to search All Forums.

Italy
Level Contributor
9,470 posts
5. Re: Why is going holiday solo more than going with someone?

Unless you're going some place complicated there is no reason to book a package for that.

First you go to skyscanner and use that to figure out which airlines fly from your home airport to the chosen destination. BUT book DIRECT with the airline afterwards.

Then go to something like booking.com to check out the hotel options in the destination.

Transfer depend on the location. If you go to the local forums on tripadvisor info on getting from the airport into town is usually there. Some times the airlines sell transfer add ons with flight tickets.

Always read the reviews for the various hotels. Especially the bad ones.

The hardest part of all this is picking the destination. But the rest is almost simple. Often there isn't a huge choice in airlines from home to the destination. Often your budget limits the hotel choice.

London, United...
Destination Expert
for Solo Travel
Level Contributor
11,290 posts
28 reviews
6. Re: Why is going holiday solo more than going with someone?

I strongly suggest you look at the Trip Advisor destination forum before you book your flights. I didn't do that before I booked a flight from Gatwick to Istanbul.

From where I live to Gatwick is more comfortable trip and I booked without check on which Istanbul Airport the flight went to.

When I went to the Istanbul forum I realised that I would be landing at a very inconvenient airport.

Fortunately the forum suggested a reasonably priced solution but it still took about 3 times as long to get to the centre than it would have done if my flight was to the main airport.

An article in yesterday's Independent suggested that Andalucia was the most affordable destination with Malta, Crete and Madeira below average, although prices are up 6% on last year, at least in part because of the loss in value of the pound.

For solo travellers, package holidays usually cost more than doing it yourself and the results of doing it yourself are often better.

Birmingham, United...
Level Contributor
27 posts
5 reviews
7. Re: Why is going holiday solo more than going with someone?

Thank you all :)

England, United...
Destination Expert
for Somerset, Solo Travel, Exmoor National Park
Level Contributor
35,539 posts
111 reviews
8. Re: Why is going holiday solo more than going with someone?

I also think of it on some package trips where meals are included as paying for a room, not per person. That can give you a different perspective.

They like to make the advertising/booking per person because it looks a cheaper deal. If they made it per room the headline price is more.

It does vary, it takes some winkling out the ways that suit you.

When booking an hotel room direct with the hotel (which can be better price than package) always check the Reviews for Solo Travellers by ticking the solo option above them. That will tell you if you are getting a good room or small stuck at the back. This doesn't happen so much either with the big hotels or out of season.

Level Contributor
953 posts
85 reviews
9. Re: Why is going holiday solo more than going with someone?

Solo supplements when you buy a package with a tour operator are so out of date...

But when you book a hotel room prices are the same (or almost the same) when it's occupied by one or two people.

Wales, United...
Destination Expert
for Bargain Travel, Cruises, Swansea, Cardiff, Carmarthenshire, Neath, Port Talbot
Level Contributor
75,684 posts
478 reviews
10. Re: Why is going holiday solo more than going with someone?

Yes, many hotels simply charge by the room these days. When I've travelled on my own, I usually look for single rooms that cost less than a double, or places where the cost of a double is the same as a single.

I've found some good deals with a large double room all to myself, but I'm also happy to take a smaller room if the price is right, especially if it's only for a night or two.

Get answers to your questions