We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

First Time Solo Traveler to Japan!

2 posts
Save Topic
First Time Solo Traveler to Japan!

First of all, hello Tripadvisor community! This is my first post here. I was hoping to call on your wisdom for a trip I am planning.

I'm a female in my late 20s planning a trip solo to Japan on the last weekend of the next month, or first weekend of May. I'm looking for a great area in Tokyo to stay. Things I definitely have planned-

*Pack a picnic and go have lunch at a park with cherry blossom trees. From what I've read, late April/early May all of the trees are blooming further north, and am willing to travel to spend a day doing this and seeing other sights up north.

*Experience nightlife in Japan- especially would like to visit any really unique, awesome or themed bars. Also, karaoke!

*Tokyo National Museum

*Senso-ji

Would love your opinions on:

*What area in Tokyo to stay? I'd love to stay in a capsule-type accommodation, I just need a place to sleep so if you have thoughts on this, please share! The one I found so far that looks appealing is Akihabara Bay hotel, have any women stayed here?

*Travel- better by train, taxi, something else? Does anyone have experience using Uber to secure a cab in Tokyo?

*Where *shouldn't* I go as a solo female traveler? Anything else I should know?

*Where are some great places to meet other travelers? I've been looking in to solo travel meetups online as well, but would love your insight on this

Thanks so much for your consideration, I would love any input or recommendations!

Ottawa, Canada
Level Contributor
12,123 posts
155 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: First Time Solo Traveler to Japan!

Hi Amber and welcome to TripAdvisor. At least one of the regulars on the solo forum is a regular visitor to Japan, but you will most likely find more help over on the Tokyo destination specific forum. Here's the link

https://www.tripadvisor.ca/ShowForum-g298184…

One thing about TripAdvisor is that the app or mobile version is a stripped down version missing a lot of helpful details. If you can get to the full website, you will see most forums have a list of 'Frequent Questions' to the right of the post list. Here, we have suggestions of how to meet people, dealing with eating alone, safety - general solo traveler stuff. Over on the Tokyo forum will be more location related topics. When in the Tokyo forum, at the top of the screen is a green bar with recommendations for lodgings and things to do.

I'd like to suggest you look at this Global Greeter program for Tokyo. globalgreeternetwork.info/destinations/… The concept is to complete the online form a few weeks before you leave and they will try to match you with a volunteer to spend 2-3 hours with you. It is totally free and no tipping is allowed. This might be a way to learn an interesting area of the city or do something with a local.

Have a great time.

India
Level Contributor
172 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: First Time Solo Traveler to Japan!

Hola Amber,

As you are a Solo Traveller i would suggest you to stay in Hostels rather than a Hotel. In Tokyo i Would Suggest you to Stay at Emblem Hostel Nishiarai. This Hostel is clean and neat and staff here is very friendly.The best advantage of this hostel is that the staff here provides with different activities every week. This activities are some what like a tour of tokyo which enables you to see the tokyo like a local. You can have access to Restaurants,SuperMarkets and Shopping Malls at a walking distance. For travelling i would suggest you to take metro. Metro station is at a walking distance and you can pick up the map from the reception. Here they provide with free tours so some of your work is done. For more hostels i wpuld suggest you to go to www.hostelworld.com. if any queries ping me

Note-I do not have any connections to mentioned locations.i am a solo traveller

Kev

2 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: First Time Solo Traveler to Japan!

Thank you to both for your advice! Will check out Emblem hotel, and do some research to see if my tattoos will be a problem. :)

Plano TX
Level Contributor
380 posts
158 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: First Time Solo Traveler to Japan!

I lived in Japan several years ago. In Tokyo, you definitely have to visit Harajaku. You will love it. And Shinjiku has great bars and nightlife.

San Diego
Destination Expert
for San Diego
Level Contributor
67,279 posts
71 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: First Time Solo Traveler to Japan!

Hi,

Yes Leagle is the poster on here with the most solo Japan experience but I went alone last year and am planning to return again alone in October.

I don't think staying in a capsule hotel for your whole trip would be fun for you.

I agree that hostels would offer some interesting companionship and the ability to meet other travelers.

Uber/Lyft is not big in Japan. There is good public transport with tons of trains/subways etc and you can hail taxis on the street or get them from taxi stands at all train stations or hotels. They are VERY honest about their prices.

Please go to the Japan forum for specific info about cafes and places to visit.

There is a lot of information there and many people who have great knowledge.

Tokyo has its own volunteer guide program which you can find at :

www.tokyofreeguide.org You e mail them your dates and your interests and if someone if available they will e mail you and make arrangements to spend a day with you.

You just pay for their lunch and local transportation if you need to take a subway/metro.

I used them last year .

6. Re: First Time Solo Traveler to Japan!

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 15 March 2018, 10:47