We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Travel/Work in Europe

Level Contributor
17 posts
15 reviews
Travel/Work in Europe

Hey guys,

I've done a fair bit of short term travel in Europe, but early next year I'm planning on moving to Europe to work and travel around on my own, maybe for a year or so. I'm on a Kiwi passport so can get a visa in a lot of places.

I think ideally I'd like to head to Slovenia, but I'm a bit concerned work will be hard to get. I guess I'm just looking for advice on where could be good to go, and how to go about it. I only know people who've done working holidays in The UK or Canada (I have absolutely no desire to work in the UK). Coming from an island I like being close to the coast, and like places that are a bit slower paced. I'm pretty happy doing anything, I have experience in graphic design, retail, cafe/coffee making, tourism/ski industry, fruit picking etc....

Didn't really know where else to post such a general question. Any advice would be appreciated :)

kent
Destination Expert
for Kent, Solo Travel
Level Contributor
14,932 posts
141 reviews
1. Re: Travel/Work in Europe

Slovenia has high unemployment & you may not be able to get a work visa, especially if you don't speak the local language.

As trip advisor is a travel website, not an employment website, you'd be better off checking work visa requirements from your own or the Slovenian government websites.

As a non EU resident, you will also need to check visa application process and lengths of stay for any of the Schengen countries you're thinking of visiting.

Ottawa, Canada
Level Contributor
12,314 posts
155 reviews
2. Re: Travel/Work in Europe

There are reciprocal agreements between NZ, Aus, Canada and UK....thus the reason you can work easier in these places. Plenty of Australians work the gondolas at Whistler and Blackcome near Vancouver, British Columbia so I assume no harder for a Kiwi.

Getting paid to work may be difficult particularly during winter. Look into WOOFF or Workaway.

Level Contributor
17 posts
15 reviews
3. Re: Travel/Work in Europe

Hey, thanks for your replies.

I'm already clued up the visas, I can get a working holiday visa in a lot of countries in Europe, the same as Canada or the UK - people head to those countries as it's easier to move to another country where things are similar and the language is the same. The requirements for Visas in Europe are generally the same. I don't think I'd have any issues getting a visa for Slovenia, however I think paid work would be a different story. I'm happy to work for my accommodation, but this won't be enough, I also need paid work.

Looking at jobs online right now isn't much use as it's an entirely different season, I don't think I'd have a lot of trouble finding work come winter with my experience in the ski industry, but for me that's a year away, I need to find work over summer some where.

England, United...
Destination Expert
for Somerset, Solo Travel, Exmoor National Park
Level Contributor
35,092 posts
111 reviews
4. Re: Travel/Work in Europe

You need to start looking for blogs, forums and employment sites for the countries you wish to work in. There are bound to be some covering how others went about it where you can contact them and ask.

ExPat forums and newspapers online may be another place to ask.

Maybe you could get in touch with some expats that could tell you what the situation is like there.

Unfortunately TA is about travel and lodging not work so the experience isn't here.

Houston, Texas
Destination Expert
for Solo Travel
Level Contributor
18,318 posts
189 reviews
5. Re: Travel/Work in Europe

Agree with the others - you need to keep the focus on the travel. You need to work the employment stuff on your own, but there is some good advice above. More advice - you might come across agencies and website who claim they will do all the work for you for a fee. Don't believe them.

Ottawa, Canada
Level Contributor
12,314 posts
155 reviews
6. Re: Travel/Work in Europe

I think perhaps you should discuss months rather than seasons, because from what I read, you were considering 'early next year' which to a lot of folks means Jan - March 2017 and that is ski season in every place north of the Equator.

7. Re: Travel/Work in Europe

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 16 November 2017, 11:45