We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

antartica trip

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
28 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
antartica trip

Hi. My husband and I are planning a trip to Antartica in 2016. We are tossing up with going on the

Le Lyrial which goes to South Georgia Island and then down to Deception Bay, Neko and Port Lockroy. for two days. then back to Ushuaia. That is a luxury ship which holds around 180 passengers and the trip is 16 days.

The other trip is to Cross the Circle on the MS Expedition with Chimnu .

It is 14 days and and spend 5 to 6 days and it goes as the passenger ship goes. Doesn't go to South Georgia. It only has 120 passengers. Any advice or comments please.

Melbourne, Australia
Destination Expert
for Perth, Antarctic Adventures
Level Contributor
16,811 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: antartica trip

OK my standard motto:

Choose the longest trip you can afford, on the smallest ship you can find, and make sure SGI/FI are in the itinerary.

You dont choose Antarctica based on luxuries or whether the cabin bathroom has nice soaps etc. Put your cash into the length of the trip itself.

You havent mentioned the dates of your trips you are comparing - that is also part of the decision. Good idea to actually post the links of each one so we dont have to search and guess.

As you are in Aus - consider Aurora and Peregrine as well. Peregrine hold slide nights and Q&As through the year with members of the expedition team so you can question them pretty heavily face to face. Pretty sure I have had emails from Aurora over the years with invites to info nights too.

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
28 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: antartica trip

Thanks. Have been looking at Chimnu and dated in Feb 2016. MV Expedition. but the 20 day ones are a bit too expensive. Budget is about 35000 in total including airfares. Yes we are flying out of sydney. Also looked at Scenic but I don't think you would get to see as much as it is a 5 star luxury cruise.

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
28 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: antartica trip

I will look eat Peregrin. the slide night sound like a great idea. thanks so much

Nova Scotia
Destination Expert
for Nova Scotia
Level Contributor
14,094 posts
172 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: antartica trip

You can book the Expedition direct with Gadventures. One possible advantage is that they will charge you in Australian dollars. Check out pricing for this and for others carefully.

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
121 posts
90 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: antartica trip

I know Ponant also have information nights in sydney, we were sent an email invite to two in August, if you are considering Le Lyrial it may be worthwhile attending.

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
121 posts
90 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: antartica trip

Also when you say you have looked at scenic, they charter both Le Lyrial or Le Boreal, it is more expensive than booking direct with Ponant but it's the same boats.

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
28 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: antartica trip

thankyou Yes Ponant are in our top few. We wanted to do a trip with fewer people. Dont really need all the luxury but most of the other are a lot more expensive. We really want to add in South Georgia.

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
28 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: antartica trip

thanks. Yes that is what we are looking for. But it seems the Le Lyrial is the cheapest so far. Still looking.

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
28 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: antartica trip

Yes. thankyou I have been trying to get as much info as possible. I would book direct with Ponant.I have to wait until tomorrow, as they are not open over the weekend. Appreciate your advice.

10. Re: antartica trip

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 05 July 2016, 10:47
Get answers to your questions