We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

ATM out of cash, still debited my account.

Level Contributor
4 posts
80 reviews
Save Topic
ATM out of cash, still debited my account.

So after using my card in an ATM in Cambodia (I've used the same one twice successfully), it informed me after a long wait that the machine was out of cash. Said the transaction was void and gave me card card back, before going back to the start screen. I waited a good five minutes longer just incase and nothing. I used the one over the road fine, took my cash and left without thinking too much about it. However when I checked my online banking this morning I've had both withdrawals debited from account.

I'm just wondering if it's common practice for the foreign bank to request the funds from your account then put it back a few days later or if I've just been done over by a Cambodian cash machine, as it's going to be a pain trying to prove I didn't withdraw any money.

Cheers

Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
55 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: ATM out of cash, still debited my account.

You know you posted in the Antarctica forum, right?

Level Contributor
4 posts
80 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: ATM out of cash, still debited my account.

Yeah I meant to post in Asia. My bad.

Michigan
Level Contributor
2,497 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: ATM out of cash, still debited my account.

Gee, and I was struggling to find the Cambodian Claim on the map of Antarctica. :)

London, United...
Level Contributor
33,415 posts
76 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: ATM out of cash, still debited my account.

Do the ATMs dispense US dollars?

:-)

5. Re: ATM out of cash, still debited my account.

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 13 February 2015, 11:49
Get answers to your questions