We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Orion bought by Linblad Expeditions

Queenstown
Level Contributor
106 posts
9 reviews
Save Topic
Orion bought by Linblad Expeditions

Hi

Does anyone know what the plans Linblad Expeditions has for the Orion which it has recently purchased?

Michigan
Level Contributor
2,455 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Orion bought by Linblad Expeditions

My guess is that Lindblad will use the Orion to extend its footprint. I hope they keep Orion's Kimberly, Borneo, Papua New Guinea, Melanesia, and New Zealand itineraries. I'd like to try those.

Boston...
Destination Expert
for Walt Disney World, Orlando, Antarctic Adventures
Level Contributor
9,178 posts
181 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Orion bought by Linblad Expeditions

From Wikipedia - whether it is true or not, I don't know...

"MV Orion is based in Sydney, Australia, operating expedition style cruises to the Kimberley Region of Western Australia, Southeast Asia, Papua New Guinea, the Solomon Islands, the Great Barrier Reef, Tasmania, New Zealand and Antarctica.

Operations are expanding to include more remote parts of Melanesia with a focus shifting more towards expedition experiences from the emphasis to date on luxury.

Following OEC’s takeover by Lindblad Expeditions announced in March 2013, they announced that it will continue to operate cruises to Orion's destination mainstays of Indonesia, Borneo, Papua New Guinea and the Kimberleys. But from March 2014 it will also include itineraries to more easterly and remote Pacific islands. It will be equipped with an underwater remotely operated vehicle (ROV), capacity for up to 24 scuba divers and ocean going kayaks, while cruises will be accompanied by a National Geographic photographer."

Queenstown
Level Contributor
106 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Orion bought by Linblad Expeditions

Hmm - so pulling out of Ross Sea side of Antarctica perhaps going by this...

Melbourne, Australia
Destination Expert
for Perth, Antarctic Adventures
Level Contributor
16,539 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Orion bought by Linblad Expeditions

That's a bummer as that region was going to be my next trip in 18 months to 2 years time and I had earmarked Orion based on co workers opinions of her past 4 trips.

Windermere Florida
Level Contributor
6 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: Orion bought by Linblad Expeditions

I have booked on the Orion to Falklands, South Georgia and Antarctica in Dec 2014. My cabin is 302. Do you know or can you direct me to a place where I can discuss the storage available in this cabin class? I have obviously looked at the layout, ect, but I have been ale to reach no one (even at National Geography Orion booking) who know what the inside of the 3 closets looks like. The cabin appears to have precious little storage unless it is in the closet.

London, United...
Level Contributor
33,223 posts
74 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Orion bought by Linblad Expeditions

Have you tried the Cruise Critic forum, related to TripAdvisor, but organised by ships and destinations amongst other criteria?

Windermere Florida
Level Contributor
6 posts
1 review
Save Reply
7. Re: Orion bought by Linblad Expeditions

I have not.. but I will. thanks for your suggestion.

8. Re: Orion bought by Linblad Expeditions

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 10 February 2015, 10:49