We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Gaitors vs velcro!

Gold Coast...
Level Contributor
36 posts
28 reviews
Save Topic
Gaitors vs velcro!

hi all

I am looking to see if anyone has used velcro to wrap around the Gumboot/wellington and ski pants? i doubt living in a warm climate that I would use gaitors again so I didn't want to buy them but i wondered if velcro to get in and out of the boat would stop the majority of the water getting in IF the landing was deeper than originally planned! thanks

London, United...
Level Contributor
33,412 posts
76 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Gaitors vs velcro!

Who are you travelling with? Which ship?

It shouldn't be a real problem.

North Liberty, Iowa
Level Contributor
290 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Gaitors vs velcro!

You might not need extra gaiters or the velcro. Do your ski pants have built in gaiters? My ski pants have internal gaiters with elastic around the bottom of the internal layer to keep it tight against the boots. I never got wet feet/legs even though I stepped into water that was mid-calf to almost knee deep multiple times.

Gold Coast...
Level Contributor
36 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Gaitors vs velcro!

Hi, traveling with scenic tours and the ship is Le Boreal. Tx

Gold Coast...
Level Contributor
36 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Gaitors vs velcro!

Thanks for that. I will check this weekend as I wanted to do a trial run and out the ski pants over the gum boots and stand in the bath, I will have such a laugh at doing that!! Better make sure i haven't had a few drinks either! Have a great day

Fairfax, Virginia
7 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: Gaitors vs velcro!

We travelled with Silversea on the Silver Explorer in February. Silversea provides you with a very warm and waterproof parka. We wore that along with ski pants over rubber knee-high "walking"boots because even if it is not a so-called "wet" landing the rides in the Zodiac were wet. We wore thermal underwear and Smartwool socks. We were quite comfortable.

Gold Coast...
Level Contributor
36 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Gaitors vs velcro!

Thanks for the information.

7. Re: Gaitors vs velcro!

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 16 March 2014, 09:46
Get answers to your questions