We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

volunteering on a ship to Antarctica

California
Level Contributor
44 posts
12 reviews
volunteering on a ship to Antarctica

Does anyone know if it is possible to volunteer on a ship heading to Antarctica? I prefer to earn my trip by working instead of paying a hefty fee that is beyond my budget. If any of you have been on an excursion to Antarctica, were there any volunteers aboard?

Melbourne, Australia
Destination Expert
for Perth, Antarctic Adventures
Level Contributor
17,044 posts
30 reviews
1. Re: volunteering on a ship to Antarctica

You would be better off contacting the expedition companies and asking them direct. The expedition team and hospitality teams are paid staff members, usually the medicos are unpaid and getting the trip in return for being on call.

But more appropriate to be discussing with the CEO of each company.

London, United...
Level Contributor
33,541 posts
78 reviews
2. Re: volunteering on a ship to Antarctica

What kind of volunteering did you have in mind?

The last person I know who took volunteers, was Capt Scott.

If you are a marine biologist your skills would be of interest, but most ships would already have 2 or 3 such people onboard. OK, you would be cheaper, but untried.

Have you thought about volunteering in, say, Africa or South AMerica?

Melbourne, Australia
Destination Expert
for Perth, Antarctic Adventures
Level Contributor
17,044 posts
30 reviews
3. Re: volunteering on a ship to Antarctica

Have replied in further detail on the OPs identical post in the Ushuaia forums.

Peter you now have me thinking about how most "volunteers" were a hundred years ago and usually died on the job !!

Queenstown
Level Contributor
106 posts
9 reviews
4. Re: volunteering on a ship to Antarctica

The founders of Heritage Expeditions - the Russ family - have set up the 'Enderby Trust'.

The trust provides scholarships for young people to join expeditions (mainly NZ/Australian SubAntarctic) who would otherwise be unable to go, and the company aims to educate and create ambassadors. Scholarship recipients part-pay for their voyage.

As I have said, most scholarship holders are taken on New Zealand / Australia SubAntarctic trips, and these are amazing for wildlife, natural history, and adventure.

Although it wouldn't get you all the way to Antarctica, it is well worth thinking about.

You could find their contact details etc on their website and would need to contact them if you wanted to find out more about the process, application requirements, and costs etc.

http://www.heritage-expeditions.com should have contact details.

Best wishes, and I hope you reach your dream of getting down to the continent. I dreamt about it for 25 years before getting to go, and it was worth every second of waiting and planning!

5. Re: volunteering on a ship to Antarctica

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 28 December 2013, 15:47