We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Dreaming & Planning for February 2014

Kuala Lumpur...
Level Contributor
128 posts
15 reviews
Save Topic
Dreaming & Planning for February 2014

Hi,

Me & hubby are planning a trip to Antarctica in February 2014. I started my research on 1st December & realised that I have missed out on the early bird discounts by a day. :(

Our trip will be from Punta Arenas, since we will be travelling around Chile before that.

In the initial stages of the research, but would like a few tips to get going.

a) Looking at a small ship (less than 100) and so far have zeroed on the Fly & Cruise 7 days/ 6 nights trip on Ocean Nova by Antarctica XXI. Anybody used them before & can share their experience with me?

(Quark seem to be the most recommended, but they don't seem to have a small ship for their 2014 expeditions.)

b) Any other small ship cruise anyone can suggest?

c) Does it make sense to wait till 2013 Black Friday sales to buy the cruise? Or have I missed out my only chance to get a discount for 2014 expedition?

d) We are planning the excursion for the first week of February. Is that a good time to see the whales?

Any tip/ advice will be highly appreciated.

Thanks

Sasha

La Jolla, California
Level Contributor
48 posts
269 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Dreaming & Planning for February 2014

I just returned from the Antarctica XXI fly/cruise trip of December 22, 2012. Like you I was nervous as I could not find much written up on them. The trip was fantastic! They were there to meet the flight at the baggage claim area in Punta Arenas. The hotel we stayed at was very good (you can see my write up under my reviews).

The luggage for my 14 year old son and me did not arrive before we left and they kindly Kent us some outer wear gear. There were shops in Punta Arenas to buy the thermals and socks and tops.

The boots they lend you for the trip are great.

On board the ship they provide each cabin with slippers and bathrobe.

The library had a great range of books and good for solitude. Both the library and the Panorama room had tea/coffee and sides available 24/7.

You do one landing on the continent, otherwise it is other islands and bases - two excursions every day. The ship did some ice breaking. Itinerary varies depending upon conditions.

Zodiacs are easy to get in and out of. Safety is paramount and all the staff are wonderful. Nothing us too much trouble. Varied interests and specialities of the staff. Food is very good - prepare to put on 10 pounds.

We were delayed an extra day on the ship due to flying conditions (meant the next tour lost a day) but got to do excursions to the Chilean andRussian bases answer the glorious church the Russians imported. As I said at all times, safety is #1 and it was fine with me to stay an extra day. The staff helped rearrange travel for those who were going to miss their flights. Wonderful service.

Highly,highly recommend Antartpctica XXI.

Please let me know if you have other questions.

2. Re: Dreaming & Planning for February 2014

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 07 January 2014, 12:46