We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Antartica Cruise - Polar Cruises Ross Sea Antarctic Odyssey

Ile de France
5 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Antartica Cruise - Polar Cruises Ross Sea Antarctic Odyssey

Hello,

We are planning a cruise to Antartica and found the Ross Sea Antarctic Odyssey from Polar Cruises, which seems to be a wonderful trip! It is the only one we found that is that long (over 30 days - from Ushuaia to New Zealand). The shorter cruises seem to barely get to the Antartica Circle.

Has anyone been on this cruise? or has anyone had some experience with Polar Cruises?

Or could you recommend an Antartica cruise?

Considering the price of that cruise, any insight will be appreciated.

Thanks!

Melbourne, Australia
Destination Expert
for Perth, Antarctic Adventures
Level Contributor
16,543 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Antartica Cruise - Polar Cruises Ross Sea Antarctic Odyssey

Its definitely a direction I wouldnt mind experiencing. To my knowledge only a few itineraries have gone this way over the years - one that comes to mind would be the Kapitan Khlebnikovs 2 circumnavigations.

The fact that they have helicopters is a major positive from me as it gives you so much more access to locations that ships and zodiacs cant get to. My last two trips on the KK had two choppers and it was invaluable.

I dont know the Ortelius but its previous name “Marina Svetaeva" rings a bell - I am sure there are posters here who may have travelled on it under that name.

One thing to remember is that its only an ice strengthened ship - not an ice breaker like the KK - so that restricts where the ship can get to and does mean you would be circling the outer edges of the pack and sea ice - remaining in open sea the majority of the time. But again the choppers will aid with access in those situations.

The prices look pretty darn good for the month long voyage. My last two month long trips on the KK cost $37k and $58k so this looks to be half that and still have the major benefits and expense of choppers.

I cant comment on the ship or the expedition team as I have not personally heard of them. I suggest posting the same question (along with the ships previous name) on the Antarctica Forum on Cruise Critic in case someone there recognises it

boards.cruisecritic.com/forumdisplay.php…

HMMMMM to be honest I would definitely consider this one myself !!!

Melbourne, Australia
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
16,543 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Antartica Cruise - Polar Cruises Ross Sea Antarctic Odyssey

After further research I am assuming Polar Cruises are simply a 3rd party booking agency.

I could not see any references to them supplying an expedition team etc.

According to http://www.oceanwide-expeditions.com/ the Ortelius was purchased by Oceanwide to join their fleet last year. So it would be an Oceanwide expedition team on board.

So if I were you I would be dealing with Oceanwide for actual questions and bookings etc - cut out the unnecessary middle man.

Still looks like a brilliant trip to me :)

Ile de France
5 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: Antartica Cruise - Polar Cruises Ross Sea Antarctic Odyssey

Thanks for the info! very helpful (and very quick).

We are wondering why the Ross Sea Antarctic Odyssey is the only cruise to be that long and "really" getting to Antartica. No one else besides Oceanwide seems to be doing the kind of journey...

Thanks again. I will try to get more info on the other forum you mentioned.

Ile de France
5 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: Antartica Cruise - Polar Cruises Ross Sea Antarctic Odyssey

One more question: have you heard of any other semi-circumnavigation cruises besides this one?

Thanks!

Melbourne, Australia
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
16,543 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Antartica Cruise - Polar Cruises Ross Sea Antarctic Odyssey

No the only ship that ever did the circumnavigations (to my knowledge) was the KK and it was an icebreaker.

The short and sweet trips to the peninsular are the fastest and most economical for the tourists who come from countries that don't get much holiday time from work.

So the longer trips generally appeal to the retired or those who get longer breaks from work (like me). Cost wise it of course is going to be a lot more as the ship has to carry a lot more fuel (there is no refueling along the way) and storage of food. The chopper fuel would also have to be pre purchased and stored.

Cost wise this trip is well priced when compared to my last trip that was same length of time, also had choppers, similar sized ship etc.

I sent word out to the passenger email lists from my last two trips to see who had sailed on this ship under either name so I will let you know what I hear back.

I have to stop looking at the website - its tempting me too much !!!

One comment I would have after looking at the photos of the ships interior - I don't know how suited it is to the open sea. The dining chairs and tables all look loose - ours were fixed to the floor. Same with seating in the lecture room etc. and the cabins furniture also looked a little loose. I would be very curious to hear feedback from someone who had done open water on this ship !!

Melbourne, Australia
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
16,543 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Antartica Cruise - Polar Cruises Ross Sea Antarctic Odyssey

Sorry meant to also add that with the KKs recent retirement from 20 years of tourism (I was on its final voyage ) the days of much longer trips seemed to be over - so it is good to see there is still a company doing the longer ones and most importantly has the choppers, even if it isn't an icebreaker.

Ile de France
5 posts
1 review
Save Reply
7. Re: Antartica Cruise - Polar Cruises Ross Sea Antarctic Odyssey

Great! Thank you so much! We are so tempted by this cruise. The price makes it difficult to sign up for it....

Melbourne, Australia
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
16,543 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Antartica Cruise - Polar Cruises Ross Sea Antarctic Odyssey

Trust me - as someone who has paid double that for similar month long trips - that price is extremely cheap.

I just wish I could find someone out there who has tried out that ship for an actual opinion.

Melbourne, Australia
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
16,543 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Antartica Cruise - Polar Cruises Ross Sea Antarctic Odyssey

I am noticing nobody on Cruise Critic has answered yet. Seems odd that we havent been able to find anyone out there who had sailed on this ship - under either name !

I will continue asking round tho - as the trip itself really interests me.

Australia
Level Contributor
447 posts
56 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Antartica Cruise - Polar Cruises Ross Sea Antarctic Odyssey

I check this forum every other day keeping up to date with everything that is going on with trips to Antarctica, and I was curious when I read this post. In the travel section of Saturdays Sydney Morning Herald there is an article on the Antarctic. Greg Mortimer is speaking at info nights World Expedition Offices this week. There is a 31 day journey on the ship "Ortelius" early next year. It will sail from South America and finish in New Zealand.The ship has helicopters.It says the cost is $22670. Website is

www.world expeditions.com.au hope that helps