We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

One Ocean Expeditions - Off the Beaten Track

England
Level Contributor
58 posts
1 review
Save Topic
One Ocean Expeditions - Off the Beaten Track

Hi

We are looking to book a trip to Antarctica this year (getting late, I know), and we are tempted by one we have seen called Off the Beaten Track. It's operated by One Ocean Expeditions and will be on the Akademik Ioffe. We wondered if anyone had any experience of this company, as searches don't throw up an awful lot about them, and I cant find anything on Trip Advisor.

This trip sounds a bit different as it's a 12 night peninsular trip rather than the usual 10, and is quite activity based.

Any thoughts or feedback appreciated.

Melbourne, Australia
Destination Expert
for Perth, Antarctic Adventures
Level Contributor
16,810 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: One Ocean Expeditions - Off the Beaten Track

They sound like consolidators. The ioffe is part of the quark fleet as far as I know so it would be better to book direct rather than use a middle party.

The length of trip is dependent on what you want to see. Remember it's a couple of days at either end just crossing the Drake.

For me I chose the longest trip available (30 days) to ensure I fully experienced everything. 12 would be too short but thats purely a personal opinion from me. Some do 16 to 20 days.

It comes down to what you want to see and experience, how much time you can get away, and of course price.

Have a look at the quark site and compare the various ioffe voyages along with their other ships and trips and see what matches your needs.

England
Level Contributor
58 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: One Ocean Expeditions - Off the Beaten Track

Thanks for the prompt response. From what I can see, One Ocean are similar to Quark - ie. they are operators, not middle men. They have chartered the Ioffe for 2011/12 season.

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
536 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: One Ocean Expeditions - Off the Beaten Track

I agree with DnA that it's very hard to find out anything about this company apart from their own PR.

Their PR indicates, as DnA has found out, that One Ocean Expeditions has chartered the Akademik Ioffe for 2010, 2011 and 2012. The previous charterer, Quark, apparently said that they were retiring Akademik Ioffe as it was one of the older vessels in their fleet and getting tired. One Oceans have responded by saying that Quark is still using a sister ship of the Adakemic Ioffe and anyway they have refurbished the Adakemic Ioffe.

One Oceans claims that its marketing point of difference from its competitors is its team of service professionals known as Adventure Concierges who each have their own pre-assigned group of 20 clients to take care of on the voyage.

Melbourne, Australia
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
16,810 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: One Ocean Expeditions - Off the Beaten Track

LOL 3124 - wonder how they think that makes them so different to any other expedition company ?

My expedition team team consisted of 11 extremely experienced polar experts - and with 99 passengers that was a nice ration of 1 to 9 !! And rather than being stuck with the one "pre assigned" group - our gang could spread themselves around and share their knowledge to everyone.

Yes I checked with my Quark contacts this morning and they confirmed the Ioffe had been replaced with the more upmarket Sea Spirit (which looks a little too posh for my liking! I prefer the more rugged ships where I dont have to dress for dinner).

Tel Aviv, Israel
Level Contributor
27 posts
66 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: One Ocean Expeditions - Off the Beaten Track

hi destination expert/

you have suggested Dn_A as follows:

"For me I chose the longest trip available (30 days) to ensure I fully experienced everything".

I tend to agree and yet I was unable to find 30 days trips to the Peninsula as well as South Georgia (but I did find few 30 days trips to the Ross Sea area, departing NZ or Australia).

Will you assist me to find a 30-day trips to the Peninsula?

Thanks,

Myifrach

Melbourne, Australia
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
16,810 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: One Ocean Expeditions - Off the Beaten Track

If you have a look at the top question on the top right of the screen you will see a link where everyone has added names of the expedition companies and their websites. On each of those websites you can view their schedules for the 2011/2012 coming season and some may already list their 2012/2013 schedules.

The 30 day voyage I did last year was on the icebreaker Kapitan Khlebnikov with Peregrine/Quark and included the peninsular, the Princess Martha coast, South Sandwich islands and South Georgia.

I am doing another 30 day trip on the KK in Dec from Australia down to the Ross sea etc.

For me the longer voyage allowed me to experience many aspects that the shorter voyages don't. But there is a vast difference in price. The shorter voyages are obviously slightly more economical. (slightly lol).

But anyway - take a look at the various websites that are listed and see what's on offer for the coming season.

Vancouver, Canada
1 post
Save Reply
7. Re: One Ocean Expeditions - Off the Beaten Track

Good morning all,

Having just read the above comments I felt it may be helpful to post a short response for clarities sake for any questions re: suggested voyages, operators, vessels, etc.

The right voyage for each traveller is dependant on your travel goals and time available. Many operators offer different length voyages for that very reason. The OOE 'Antarctica- off the beaten track' is a new itinerary with 12 nights specifically geared towards a different expedition experience along the Antarctic Peninsula. Ski touring, overnight sea kayaking, traditional sea kayaking and expedition (in-field) photography are a few of the highlights for this voyage mentioned above.

Regarding operators and their approach to market, OOE deals with select travel agents and also does direct business. OOE operates the Akademik Ioffe (effective November 2011) on a long term contract, and has also recently acquired the Akademik Sergey Vavilov (the sister ship) effective November 2012. Both vessels are extraordinary and offer excellent stability, outdoor viewing areas and a perfect platform for the OOE expedition cruise product. The management team for OOE has been in the Antarctic and Arctic cruise industry for the last 16 years. Having past experience in the corporate side of expedition cruising with a different organization, the OOE management team came together to offer a small ship experience based on quality, customer service and attention to detail.

Both the Ioffe and the Vavilov have a passenger capacity of 110 passengers. OOE however has limited the number of passengers to under 100 on any given voyage. The common number of staff onboard any OOE departure is typically 20-21 people (expedition and hospitality), comprised of highly experienced staff and resulting in a higher than typical staff to client ratio.

Overall, the Antarctic Peninsula is a tremendous place to experience and there are a number of various operators offering departures to the region.

When selecting the company you travel with, talk with your travel agent, or contact the company directly to ask any questions you may have.

Good luck and bon voyage!

London, United...
Level Contributor
33,412 posts
76 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: One Ocean Expeditions - Off the Beaten Track

^^^^^

You will tell us if you have any connection with OOE, won't you PolarTraveller?

:-)

Melbourne, Australia
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
16,810 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: One Ocean Expeditions - Off the Beaten Track

As above - Polar - in order to ensure you are complying with the terms and conditions of TAs forum guidelines you should be declaring any connections or interest you have with the company. You post did come across as their own marketing material.

New York City, New...
1 post
Save Reply
10. Re: One Ocean Expeditions - Off the Beaten Track

I just got back from an amazing trip with One Ocean aboard the Akademik Ioffe. The ship was comfortable and the staff extraordinary. It was beyond words - everything was smooth and easy, we went on at least two excursions/ day, saw tons of wildlife (penguins, seals, birds, whales, etc), incredible glaciers, and breathtaking ice. If you have the chance, go! And... go with One Ocean - the experts on board were phenomenal.

Edited: 08 January 2012, 00:55
Get answers to your questions