We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Chimu Adventures

Melbourne, Australia
9 posts
2 reviews
Chimu Adventures

Chimu Adventures seems considerably cheaper than other Antarctic companies. Has anyone travelled with them, if so what is the verdict?

Melbourne, Australia
Destination Expert
for Perth, Antarctic Adventures
Level Contributor
17,182 posts
30 reviews
1. Re: Chimu Adventures

Their FAQs state they have reduced overheads because they are a web based company - so no high rental of office space and shop fronts in CBDs etc.

I have heard of them over the years and seen their presence at travel expo's but dont know anyone personally who has travelled with them recently.

You could also try a search on Cruise critics Antarctica forum to see if anyone has mentioned them there

boards.cruisecritic.com/forumdisplay.php…

Lima
Level Contributor
9 posts
42 reviews
2. Re: Chimu Adventures

Just to nail my colours to the mast immediately, I work for Chimu in our UK office … and so I’m not going to blow our own trumpet (too much!).

However, I would like to say that we have sent over 500 people on Antarctic cruises, over the past 12 months, and have received excellent feedback on their experiences. I hope some of those people may add their comments on this forum, so you have their word for it, not just mine.

Also, I wanted to share this video that my brother and I made in Antarctica on the excellent MV Plancius in Jan/Feb 2010, to whet your appetite or to bring back happy memories: youtube.com/user/…BBMocgoXozE

It is best with the volume loud! (If you would like a DVD of this film, please get in touch, by the way).

Edited: 04 January 2011, 02:54
Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
153 posts
11 reviews
3. Re: Chimu Adventures

Im looking at booking with Chimu. The boat im sailing on is the same one as used by Gap and bentours (and probably other operaters as well. Im doing the Spirit of Shackleton trip and saving around $3000 australian by doing it through Chimu. I dealt with both Gap and Chimu staff (Chimu via eb chat to start with and then email, Gap at travel show and then tried email (no answer after 3 days) and eventually by phone). I must say the Chimu staff seemed far more informed and helpful. My trip isnt for another 11 months but so far I am more than happy with them

Adelaide, Australia
Level Contributor
56 posts
363 reviews
4. Re: Chimu Adventures

Hi,

We are in Ushuaia right now booked to travel with them next week and will write a review when I´m back. On all accounts it has been fantastic dealing with them over the net. Check out their web site they have some great 2 for the price of one specials on right now

Melbourne, Australia
Destination Expert
for Perth, Antarctic Adventures
Level Contributor
17,182 posts
30 reviews
5. Re: Chimu Adventures

Have a fantastic time Chilli !!!

London
2 posts
1 review
6. Re: Chimu Adventures

Took a trip with Chimu to Argentina / Uruguay end of Feb / beginning of March and I can honestly say it was one of the best trips I have ever done.

I was a bit wary because I hadn't heard of them before but Miles in the London office arranged everything without a hitch. Apart from one minor hiccup (no fault of Chimu), the whole trip went like clockwork and I wouldn't hesitate to use Chimu again. Excellent.

I hope you enjoy it as much as I did !!

Edited: 18 April 2011, 18:21
San Francisco...
Level Contributor
1,459 posts
97 reviews
7. Re: Chimu Adventures

I'm also considering Chimu -- for the Antarctica. Anyone else recently taken a trip with them? Your thoughts? Thanks!

ingham
1 post
8. Re: Chimu Adventures

We used Chimu for our Antarctic trip in February this year and found them very good. We travelled on the MS Expedition and had a great trip.

9. Re: Chimu Adventures

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 21 October 2012, 10:47