We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Pre-cruise hotel in Buenos Aires, Ushuaia or both?

Littleton, Colorado
Level Contributor
118 posts
38 reviews
Save Topic
Pre-cruise hotel in Buenos Aires, Ushuaia or both?

I arrive into Buenos Aires into EZE 2 days before my Antarctica Cruise. Would I be best to stay in Buenos Aires 2 nts, Ushuais 2 nts, or split one night in each. Heading immediately to Ushuaia may be tough since I arrive Buenos Aires at 11:10 am, and it looks like there is only one option to get to Ushuaia same day, and that is a 3:35 PM departure from different airport (AEP)

8 replies to this topic
Amsterdam, Holland
Destination Expert
for Bhutan
Level Contributor
3,472 posts
145 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Pre-cruise hotel in Buenos Aires, Ushuaia or both?

Hi Jim,

Me again. I arrived too in the morning in EZE, even earlier than you plan, and also got only the 15:35 flight to Ushuaia from AEP . If your flights are on the same itinerary, you could get a free transfer between the airports, as I learned here on this forum.I can send you the link from my home computer.

I did it the same day, the flight was a bit delayed, and I was happy to get to Ushuaia, as the next day all flights were cancelled because of a strike. Just to be sure your reach Ushuaia in time, fly in directly. You can rlax in Ushuaia and not worry about flights any more.

BA you can visit after your cruise..

Littleton, Colorado
Level Contributor
118 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Pre-cruise hotel in Buenos Aires, Ushuaia or both?

If lights were cancelled the following day as in your case, I still have a 3rd day (they day of the cruise) to fly down. Post-cruise, I have a late evening flight the same day my cruise ends, so I would really have time to visit BA post cruise.

My flight to Ushuaia will not be part of the same itinerary as my international flights as they are part of my cruise itinerary. I actually don't know if they will let me fly down early. There looks to be some really nice hotel options in Ushuaia. I am expection I can get a free transfer from the cruise company (transfer from EZE rather than a BA hotel). Regardless, I'll need the transfer. since your flight arrived earlier than mine, based on your experience, do you think I'll still have sufficient time to make the transfer?

Amsterdam, Holland
Destination Expert
for Bhutan
Level Contributor
3,472 posts
145 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Pre-cruise hotel in Buenos Aires, Ushuaia or both?

Yes, it is doable. I landed at 8 in the morning, was out and on the bus of Tienda Leon at 9, arrived in AEP at 10:15, then had to wait before I could check-in.The two days I had in Ushuaia were nice, to relax and be sure I was close to the harbor. The people who got the strike were very stressed. But if you have a flight with the cruise company, it might be their own charter.In that case no need to look for flights yourself, as they'll take you there in time.

Amsterdam, Holland
Destination Expert
for Bhutan
Level Contributor
3,472 posts
145 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Pre-cruise hotel in Buenos Aires, Ushuaia or both?

This is the link for the shuttle:

aerolineas.com.ar/en-au/…boarding_pass_arbus

You can print it only 48 hours before the flight. Present it to the counter of Tienda Leon just before the exit, and go to the bus.

My international flight was with Lufthansa, and the internal Aerolineas Argentinas, two different tickets, but on one itinerary, it still worked, and I was even allowed to take 20kgs in economy because I came from an international flight.

Littleton, Colorado
Level Contributor
118 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Pre-cruise hotel in Buenos Aires, Ushuaia or both?

It turns out my transfer from Buenos Aires to Ushuaia (through Scenic) is only available on the day of the cruise, and if I go down early I will need to pay for my on flights and transfers on my own and forfeit flights and transfers included with my tour.

Potsdam, Germany
7 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Pre-cruise hotel in Buenos Aires, Ushuaia or both?

Very helpfull! Thank you :D

Canberra...
Level Contributor
12 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Pre-cruise hotel in Buenos Aires, Ushuaia or both?

Wow, that is a little harsh of them. We had a similar situation with Ponant, we wanted to go down a few days early which they couldn't accommodate within their chartered airfare package, but they gave us a discount on the originally booked cruise price to account for no flights. In fact the discount easily covered what I paid for my replacement flights, with quite a lot left over.

Level Contributor
24 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Pre-cruise hotel in Buenos Aires, Ushuaia or both?

I am glad I booked a day early in Buenos Aires. LATAM didn't even notify me that the flight changed, but it went from 3pm to 5am departure time. For future reference I would make sure arriving a night or two earlier because it sounds like they are notorious for changing flight times or cancelling domestic trips. If I expected to make this flight as part of the initial trip, I would have been out of luck.

Reply to: Pre-cruise hotel in Buenos Aires, Ushuaia or both?
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted