We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Antarctic Total Solar Eclipse in 2021

New Brunswick, New...
Level Contributor
11 posts
10 reviews
Save Topic
Antarctic Total Solar Eclipse in 2021

Hello!

I was wondering if anyone knows of companies that are planning total solar eclipse cruises to Antarctica in Dec 2021. I have found two -- Eclipse Tours and Astro Trails -- are there any others that anyone knows about? It is my dream to go to Antarctica, and to see an eclipse while there would be icing on the cake!

31 replies to this topic
Melbourne, Australia
Destination Expert
for Perth, Antarctic Adventures
Level Contributor
16,811 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Antarctic Total Solar Eclipse in 2021

Itineraries are usually released 18 months to 2 years in advance so it's still a little too soon.

New Brunswick, New...
Level Contributor
11 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Antarctic Total Solar Eclipse in 2021

thanks for letting me know!

Melbourne, Australia
Destination Expert
for Perth, Antarctic Adventures
Level Contributor
16,811 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Antarctic Total Solar Eclipse in 2021

Get yourself into the mailing list of each of the usual polar expedition companies (all listed in our FAQs). That way you will email alerts when itineraries are released.

During the last southern eclipse there were a lot of travel agent companies advertising special eclipse itineraries that didn't eventuate because they failed to actually charter a ship. I know a large group of people who paid large deposits for a ship that didn't know anything about it and was not booked to even be below the equator. There were a lot of complaints.

So forget agents and just deal direct with the expedition companies themselves. At least you know a vessel actually exists with them.

1 post
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: Antarctic Total Solar Eclipse in 2021

I just happen to stumble across this post. We share same idea. Antarctica is a bucket list item for me. Throw in an eclipse also, I'm sold.

I am into Astronomy and I have seen Eclipse tours advertised before, from what I've seen they seem to be on top of things. You can visit their website. I do know they currently have a Dec 2021 tour to Antarctica to see the eclipse planned. So far, no itinerary is set. They are taking deposits for this cruise. With nothing set, all moneyies are fully refundable at this time. One itinerary is set and ship is known and prices are set you will have like 30 days to decide to go ahead with trip or take a refund.

I am interested in this same trip.

New Brunswick, New...
Level Contributor
11 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Antarctic Total Solar Eclipse in 2021

I've been away from this site for awhile so I apologize for my late response. Thanks so much for the suggestions and guidance. I was a little hesitant about paying the deposit (even though they say it's refundable) but I guess that's the best way to be in the know. I really don't want to miss this opportunity so I guess I'll be paying a deposit shortly...

6. Re: Antarctic Total Solar Eclipse in 2021

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post because it did not meet TripAdvisor's forum guidelines with regards to the participation of business representatives.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 19 February 2018, 20:34

1 post
Save Reply
7. Re: Antarctic Total Solar Eclipse in 2021

Has anyone used Astro Trails for a solar eclipse tour? I am looking to book for the 2019 solar eclipse in S. America but I really don't know anything about them. It's a lot of money and I don't want to be disappointed.

Steve

8. Re: Antarctic Total Solar Eclipse in 2021

TripAdvisor staff removed this post because it did not meet TripAdvisor's forum guidelines with regards to the participation of business representatives.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 19 February 2018, 20:39

9. Re: Antarctic Total Solar Eclipse in 2021

Removed on: 20 February 2018, 19:56

turkey
Level Contributor
368 posts
62 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Antarctic Total Solar Eclipse in 2021

Travelled with them for the USA total eclipse. Amazing! I was on one of eight buses, all full and with many repeat customers. They had everything organised to a tee. The observation site was superb and the whole tour covered so much of the Western USA, culturally, geographically, cities and National Parks, even Observatories. I loved it. We were off the beaten track a bit too, which made it more special. They seem to have a very loyal following and although this was my first trip, I'd definitely travel with them again. Hoping to go to South America next year. Absolutely no qualms in recommending them.

Reply to: Antarctic Total Solar Eclipse in 2021
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted