We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Travelling abroad with an assistance dog?

North Yorkshire...
4 posts
Travelling abroad with an assistance dog?

Hi

I have not had a holiday in 16 years but now have a medical assistance dog which alerts me 24/7, to prevent my falling unconscious. I am single, travel alone, aged 54, with mobility problems - use a stick at all times and problems with stairs and standing for too long. I would like to find a holiday abroad where I can stay with my dog on a b&b, half board or full board basis. Help - I can not find any sites at all that cover where you may stay with dogs abroad. All the information is about travelling on planes, not where they are allowed to stay, or passport and vaccination requirements for dogs. I certainly could not drive abroad :o((

All replies will be appreciated. Please Help

United Kingdom
Level Contributor
17,668 posts
106 reviews
1. Re: Travelling abroad with an assistance dog?

Hello

You could do a Google search, for " pet friendly hotels" and perhaps include a destination country, ( I put Spain, for example) and I found the following website..

Www.pawsabroad.co.uk

They have links for pet friendly accommodation in France, Spain, Portugal, and Italy.

Have you checked out the legal requirements for taking your dog out of the UK and bringing it back in yet?

Do a Google ( other search engines are available!) for " Pet Passport" and you should find the Gov.UK website which will tell you all about micro-chipping, rabies vaccination , worming, and the pet passport itself.

I hope this is helpful. Please let us know how you get on.

Kind regards

Mondial

United Kingdom
Level Contributor
17,668 posts
106 reviews
2. Re: Travelling abroad with an assistance dog?

PS,

There is a specific forum on TA called " Travelling with Pets" which might be helpful to you also.

Mon

North Yorkshire...
4 posts
3. Re: Travelling abroad with an assistance dog?

Thank you for your help with the paws abroad website. I did my research on all the different rules/regulations/vaccinations etc before I started on a search for a place to stay. Must say its a minefield as to all the regulations but it keeps the UK safe so no arguments from me :o))

Southport, United...
Level Contributor
2,575 posts
4. Re: Travelling abroad with an assistance dog?

I would also suggest you check out getting appropriate medical insurance for your medical conditions.

North Yorkshire...
4 posts
5. Re: Travelling abroad with an assistance dog?

Done thanks :)

Santa Fe NM
Level Contributor
33 posts
12 reviews
6. Re: Travelling abroad with an assistance dog?

Silverdreamfinale, I just wrote a long post on the thread "Traveling with a service dog." Please read it and contact me if you still have questions.

7. Re: Travelling abroad with an assistance dog?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 06 August 2016, 09:47
Get answers to your questions